If, when you get your scor,e you find out you blew it... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SoCalKevin

New

If, when you get your scor,e you find out you blew it...

Post by SoCalKevin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

And probably don't have a chance of getting into the school you want to get in to...are you better off letting it ride and seeing what happens, then re-resting and re-applying next cycle if you indeed don't make it? Or are you better off withdrawing your app first before trying again?

kittenmittons

Silver

Re: If, when you get your scor,e you find out you blew it...

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:44 am

SoCalKevin wrote:And probably don't have a chance of getting into the school you want to get in to...are you better off letting it ride and seeing what happens, then re-resting and re-applying next cycle if you indeed don't make it? Or are you better off withdrawing your app first before trying again?
If you have a particular school in mind, I'd let it ride and re-apply if necessary.

hwstewart

New

Post by hwstewart » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Its unclear whether you're applying in this years cycle or are applying for admission next year. If the latter then it depends what you're shooting for and what your overall expectations are for law and your career. This place tends to be a vacuum for insecurity and very narrowly defined ideas of what it takes to have a very successful and rewarding legal career. If you only paid attention to certain threads you might believe that the only criterion for being a fulfilled (and gainfully employed) lawyer is to be in the upper echelon of t-10 (some might even say YHS) and to then subsequently fall in the rank and file of biglaw. This is distinctly untrue. Yes, the current job market makes lower ranked schools bear a higher necessity to perform well and rank higher in order to have choice job prospects. But it does not preclude you from having a great career.

I did find out that I blew my LSAT score last year. In fact I found out twice. When I retook in Dec. my score actually went down! I certainly thought about withdrwing my apps from this years cycle, thinking the hill to high to climb. But, I knew I could perform better and went all in on a third take and went up 13 points. I now have great options and nice scholarships as well. The overall point is, have faith in yourself and get real about your career. IF you believe you can do better, you can.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 pm

i took it in june 2 years ago and found out i blew it. was very devastated b/c I had dreams of T14. Retook it and scored better and everything worked out fine.

SoCalKevin

New

Post by SoCalKevin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 pm

I took it for the first time this February- so it's my only chance for this cycle. If I blow it, goodbye 2010 L1. Does that change any of the answers here?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dynomite

Bronze

Post by dynomite » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:59 pm

SoCalKevin wrote:I took it for the first time this February- so it's my only chance for this cycle. If I blow it, goodbye 2010 L1. Does that change any of the answers here?
If you have the $ to apply to these schools, why not apply anyway? Unless schools punish people applying for a second time (I don't think this is the case) the absolute worst thing that could happen is that you'd be rejected, right?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 pm

SoCalKevin wrote:I took it for the first time this February- so it's my only chance for this cycle. If I blow it, goodbye 2010 L1. Does that change any of the answers here?
If that is the case, re-take in June and do the next cycle. Feb. is late for this cycle anyway (my test is a re-take).

SoCalKevin

New

Post by SoCalKevin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 pm

dynomite wrote:
If you have the $ to apply to these schools, why not apply anyway? Unless schools punish people applying for a second time (I don't think this is the case) the absolute worst thing that could happen is that you'd be rejected, right?

That's what I was looking for...thanks.

abulmash

New

Post by abulmash » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 am

I have heard from students, although never actually from admissions, that being rejected can hurt your chances if you reapply to that same school. Maybe someone else can comment, but it does make some sense. I am in a similar boat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Last edited by lawschoollll on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:57 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
abulmash wrote:I have heard from students, although never actually from admissions, that being rejected can hurt your chances if you reapply to that same school. Maybe someone else can comment, but it does make some sense. I am in a similar boat.
I would love to know the answer to this as well. I have a hard time believing it true (especially if you come back with a new LSAT score), but then again, there is that, "Have you applied to XXX in prior years?" question on every app...
I don't see any reason why it would hurt. Maybe if you applied with the exact same application twice, it would look bad. But if you decide to take another year, improve your work experience, numbers, personal statement etc I think it looks like you are really comitted to their particular law school and not just looking to go to whatever school will take you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”