Dilemma! Need advice!

schand
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby schand » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:59 pm

So I am supposed to be taking the LSAT make up exam this Saturday. I don't feel very confident about it, even though I have been studying seriously this past month and a half. I haven't even begun to break 160. I just recently bought the LGB and LRB and I feel they have helped me a ton so far. My dilemmas is this: should I take the exam this Saturday and probably only score in the upper 150s or wait until June and hopefully break 165 (hope-operative word)? I am currently unemployed and probably will be until I am done taking the LSAT. When I apply to law school, what will admission councils think with the gap in my resume? I was previously working in a top governmental position until the administration changed parties. I'm really hoping to go to a tier one law school. I don't know what to do! Any advice would be so helpful. Thank you!!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:04 pm

Wait... your credentials were good enough for an appointment to a "top governmental position", but now you're unemployed? Something sounds not right there.

That said... I would recommend waiting if you're thinking about studying harder and taking in June anyway. Just focus on the June test and preparing for it. Though what you could do is go into the makeup test, take the test, and then bubble in the cancellation box... that way you'd at least get the experience of taking the test and know what it's like. Schools won't care that you cancelled once.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Wait you idiot, for the love of G-d wait!!!!!!!

schand
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby schand » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks for the advice! Just to clarify, I was a political appointee in the administration I worked for. However, since we lost the past November election, the political parties changed and so did everyone in the administration. Virtually everyone gets laid off and replaced when the party changes. Politics is fickle.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:32 pm

schand wrote:Thanks for the advice! Just to clarify, I was a political appointee in the administration I worked for. However, since we lost the past November election, the political parties changed and so did everyone in the administration. Virtually everyone gets laid off and replaced when the party changes. Politics is fickle.

Yeah, but with your resume you can't find work anywhere else? That was what I was curious about.

(I'm also assuming you're a Democrat in either VA or NJ at this point. I could be wrong though.)

schand
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby schand » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:41 pm

You hit the nail on the head on that one. Well we are all competing for the same political positions at this point, wherever they exist. It's a lot harder than it seems, especially with other agencies and legislative offices shaving off positions due to budget constraints. I was hoping that I could take my LSATs asap and get it over with then focus 100% on getting another job. Looks like it's not going to pan out that way.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby holydonkey » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:56 pm

vanwinkle wrote: Though what you could do is go into the makeup test, take the test, and then bubble in the cancellation box... that way you'd at least get the experience of taking the test and know what it's like. Schools won't care that you cancelled once.


This is good advice, but...why not take it and see how you feel? No need to fill in the cancellation box unless you don't feel confident after taking the test. Since most schools will now take your highest score if you take it again, the risk of not canceling is much lower. Take the test, see how you feel, if you feel good, roll with the score. If you mess up, you can always take again in June. If you don't feel good, cancel it.

User avatar
utilitarianjac
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby utilitarianjac » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:04 pm

As for any gap in your resume, I wouldn't worry about it too much. AdComs are very much aware of the current economic problems. You are far from alone in your unemployment.

schand
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Re: Dilemma! Need advice!

Postby schand » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:13 pm

I think I will wait until June. Should I take some time off from studying then start again? Is it too early to start studying for the June exam? I don't think my job prospects will get any better any time soon, so I still will have a lot of time on my hand. I'm thinking about reading through the LGB and LRB again because I rushed through them before.

P.S. Thanks everyone for your advice. This forum is incredibly useful.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: qemini1594 and 2 guests