Anyone else have bad experiences at Kaplan Diagnostics?

leemalk

Anyone else have bad experiences at Kaplan Diagnostics?

Postby leemalk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:01 am

Here's my story. Took a practice LSAT last night with Kaplan. They had about 50 of us crammed into a room, crammed onto long tables with very little room. Now, in this room there people taking the LSAT, GMAT, GRE, MCAT, etc. This means that every few minutes, someone would come in and say "GMAT 5 minutes" or "MCAT stop the section." Since the times and breaks don't coincide, at one point for about 10 minutes, half the room got and started chatting while I was trying to the Logic Games. I expect my score to be absolutely horrible, and will disregard it. I was wondering if anyone else has had this bad of an experience? Also, if I'm trying to get an accurate diagnostic, is my only other option to just find an old copy and do it myself in the quiet zone of the library? Any advice is appreciated.

eudaimondaimon

Re: Anyone else have bad experiences at Kaplan Diagnostics?

Postby eudaimondaimon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:04 am

Kaplan it seems would be best served by giving you a poor testing environment for the diagnostic. If you do poorly on it you may feel compelled to purchase their services--or if you already have, you may be inclined to think that they actually made a difference.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:10 am

Just buy a practice book or download the free test at LSAC, use your watch timer, and do the test in the comfort and privacy of your own home. Perfect diagnostic.

Don't forget that Kaplan, like any other business, exists to make money. Some people truly benefit from a prep course (I did). Others do not . . . make sure it's something you really need before you pay for it.

leemalk

Postby leemalk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:20 am

Thankfully, all I took was the free diagnostic. I've heard enough bad things about Kaplan that I was even skeptical doing that.

pippin732

Postby pippin732 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:03 am

I took the Kaplan full course and was very disappointed

KaplanLSATInstructor

Postby KaplanLSATInstructor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:15 am

OP -- I understand your concern. However, this can happen at certain locations where we're not given adequate space to do what we should: proctor every test in a separate room. Sometimes, if we hold practice tests at colleges or universities, the college only gives us one or two rooms. In cases like that, we just aren't given the option.

I've been to two practice test events this past week -- one that was like your scenario and one in which every test had its own room. The latter is definitely preferable for many reasons, some of which you cited (e.g., no interruptions due to other exam's test-takers). We do everything we can to separate exams. I'm sorry that couldn't happen with yours.

For anyone planning to take a free practice exam with Kaplan: if this is a potential concern, call your local center ahead of time to ask whether exams will be in separate rooms. That should remove any doubt.

- Chris

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:37 am

i took the kaplan diagnostic and it was with only other LSAT students, and a nice quiet environment, etc. it sounds like you may have just had bad luck with your particular test center.

birD

Postby birD » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:38 pm

do not take a kaplan class. It was a huge waste of time and money!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”