February LSAT Make-Up-- Need Some Urgent Help

AVBucks4239

February LSAT Make-Up-- Need Some Urgent Help

Postby AVBucks4239 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:55 pm

First, let me preface by saying that I have been browsing this board throughout the past few months. To those of you who are regular posters and contributers, thanks for all of your information. Now, onto my story...

I am not aiming for incredibly high scores like some of you. I do not obtain natural intelligence or a fast reading speed. The very best school I could get into would be an Ohio State or Case Western. Thus, my goals are to get somewhere in the 158-162 region.

I earned a 152 on the September LSAT. Essentially, I was too obsessed with strategy and not enough with actually doing the practice.

I did not take the December LSAT due to surgery on my elbow (I contracted staph infection in late November and was advised not to attend classes, very contagious).

Now, obviously, here I am taking the last possible LSAT for the 2010 admissions. My LSAT was scheduled at Ohio State, and, as most of you may know, it was cancelled. It is rescheduled for this Saturday.

However, once again, I somehow have fallen into the trap of doing too much strategy and not enough actual practice. I re-read each of the PowerScore Bibles (RC, LR, and LG). I have spent hundreds of hours studying these strategies, yet I am only doing slightly better on each of the sections. If I had to estimate my score right now, it would be a 154-155 (and that might be generous).

I have read almost all of the threads about the February administration on the 6th. From what I understand, the test was moderately difficult, with some thinking that the LG section was considerably difficult.

Obviously, I have two more days to study. I need to absolutely maximize my studying in these days. I think I am on to a good start, having ordered prep-tests 55, 56, and 57, and plan on completing those on Thursday and Friday. I am fully aware that these alone probably will not get me to where I need to be.

So, I ask of all of you, what are some tips to absolutely maximize these next two days?

Should I order more tests (52, 53, 54)?
Should I really focus on LR, since it is 50% of the test?
Since the LG section was considered "very difficult" by many, should I focus on that to beat the curve?

I thank you all in advance.

-AVB

jks289

Re: February LSAT Make-Up-- Need Some Urgent Help

Postby jks289 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:59 pm

You have two days, so I think you need to really focus on one thing to master. You aren't going to get the same test as last week, so there is no telling what your LG section will look like. If I were you I would work on Logical reasoning. They are the most questions on the test, and the most possibilities to pick up a few extra points. I would take one entire timed test tomorrow, and one entire timed test Friday. Doing more than one test in a day is going to burn you out. Don't think about strategy, just think about getting points in the time allotted. Good luck.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:00 am

What did you get on your last PT... STRICTLY TIMED AND BUBBLED?

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:03 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:What did you get on your last PT... STRICTLY TIMED AND BUBBLED?

155, but several answers were from guesses on LR sections that I did not finish.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:08 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:What did you get on your last PT... STRICTLY TIMED AND BUBBLED?

155, but several answers were from guesses on LR sections that I did not finish.

This is going to be hard to hear, but you should probably hold off until June. Tell LSAC you can't make the make-up date and they should give you the free make-up for June. There just isn't any way to squeeze that many points out in such a short amount of time. It's not a test of memorization, but of skills that require development.

Look at this situation as a gift/opportunity. Use this spring to nail a 165 or better and get your apps in early.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:16 am

More specifics...

First, remember that I'm only trying to get about a 158-162. According to Powerscore, the average to get get a 160 takes 74.13 correct answers. Thus, I only need 18-19 on each section.

Logical Reasoning: I answer the first 20 questions fairly accurately. At worst, I get 15/20 (last two timed practice with bubble sheet is 17/20). However, I usually do not finish the last 3 questions and generally struggle on 19-23. So, how do I improve this portion of the test? My temporary plan, as of right now, is as follows:
-Master the first 10 in 10 minutes goal. It usually takes me 13 minutes to do the first 10 questions. I am thinking about doing the first 10 questions of multiple sections to master getting them done in 10 minutes.
-Then, once I have done that, do untimed practices on the 19-23 range, until I can grasp the complex language and am comfortable with it.

Logic Games: This was by far my worst section in September (12/23). I have placed a lot of emphasis on this. My last three timed-bubbled scores are 21-20-16. Problem is, that 16 was on the September test. I looked it over and made a really dumb mistake (mis-interpreted a single rule that led to 4 missed questions on a game). This is the only section that I consistently finish, so it is perhaps where I need the least amount of help.

Reading Comprehension: Like I said in my OP, I am not a fast reader. This absolutely kills me on RC. I finished the first three stories on the September administration and 17/20 questions correctly. However, I did not get to the last section AT ALL. My reading speed has improved with practice (have done lots of reading for Political Science over the last 4 months), but I still only get to roughly 23 or 24 questions.

Once again, thanks for all of your help in advance.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:17 am

What Matlock said.

Do at least 30 PTs newer between now and June, and spend more time reviewing problems you missed and problems you struggled with than you did taking the test. Review bibles as necessary.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:17 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

This is going to be hard to hear, but you should probably hold off until June. Tell LSAC you can't make the make-up date and they should give you the free make-up for June. There just isn't any way to squeeze that many points out in such a short amount of time. It's not a test of memorization, but of skills that require development.

Look at this situation as a gift/opportunity. Use this spring to nail a 165 or better and get your apps in early.

That's what I am thinking as well. But, please read my most recent post (other than this one, obviously) and perhaps there is some hope.

Also, I will let you know what I get on practice test 56 tomorrow. If I get 157-range, I think I'm going to take it this Saturday.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:20 am

2 days? You should get off the internet and behind some practice tests.

KennyG

Postby KennyG » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:29 am

If you aren't a fast reader, do some reading. Make yourself sit down and read through boring stuff everyday. I read Crime and Punishment for a couple hours before bed on Friday night and I blazed through both LR and Reading Comp faster than ever before on Saturday.

The first time I took the LSAT I was overly analytical and it took me far too long to finish (I didn't get through the 4th passage). But with doing some daily reading (Scientific American, The Economist, and some Dostoevsky) I've made significant progress. If you end up taking the June test, try it out. It is also a nice way to break up the rest of your studying.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:31 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

That's what I am thinking as well. But, please read my most recent post (other than this one, obviously) and perhaps there is some hope.

Also, I will let you know what I get on practice test 56 tomorrow. If I get 157-range, I think I'm going to take it this Saturday.

I'd recommend against that. If you're scoring over 160, then take it. JMO.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:More specifics...

First, remember that I'm only trying to get about a 158-162. According to Powerscore, the average to get get a 160 takes 74.13 correct answers. Thus, I only need 18-19 on each section.

So you need small gains on every section or to master one completely. Either is a challenge, but as was said above, LR has the most questions and therefore should present a good opportunity.

AVBucks4239 wrote:Logical Reasoning: I answer the first 20 questions fairly accurately. At worst, I get 15/20 (last two timed practice with bubble sheet is 17/20). However, I usually do not finish the last 3 questions and generally struggle on 19-23. So, how do I improve this portion of the test? My temporary plan, as of right now, is as follows:
-Master the first 10 in 10 minutes goal. It usually takes me 13 minutes to do the first 10 questions. I am thinking about doing the first 10 questions of multiple sections to master getting them done in 10 minutes.
-Then, once I have done that, do untimed practices on the 19-23 range, until I can grasp the complex language and am comfortable with it.

This is unfortunate. You really want to see yourself through the first 14 or 15 in the first fifteen minutes. The last ten tend to be longer and more complicated. 2 minutes per question on those makes life a lot more comfortable. I'm not sure quite how you can improve speed so dramatically in the time you have left.

If there was one question type that was slowing you down it would be easier, you could focus on it, drill it and improve your time. You need more time. You need to do tests, mark them then go over every question so you understand why each correct answer was correct and why each wrong answer you picked was wrong. Not something you can easily do in 2 days.

AVBucks4239 wrote:Logic Games: This was by far my worst section in September (12/23). I have placed a lot of emphasis on this. My last three timed-bubbled scores are 21-20-16. Problem is, that 16 was on the September test. I looked it over and made a really dumb mistake (mis-interpreted a single rule that led to 4 missed questions on a game). This is the only section that I consistently finish, so it is perhaps where I need the least amount of help.

Well, we've all made the dumb mistake. Hope it doesn't happen on test day, but it points back to your difficulty with LR. You're probably speeding up so much that you're losing accuracy.

AVBucks4239 wrote:Reading Comprehension: Like I said in my OP, I am not a fast reader. This absolutely kills me on RC. I finished the first three stories on the September administration and 17/20 questions correctly. However, I did not get to the last section AT ALL. My reading speed has improved with practice (have done lots of reading for Political Science over the last 4 months), but I still only get to roughly 23 or 24 questions.

If you can improve the LR and LG sections, given your target score you only need to complete three sections here and aim for 100% on each of them. 1 or 2 correct answers from guessing the 4th section and you're only looking at -5 for the section.

The post above is correct, if you can score 160ish, with better timing you can probably do much better and improve your odds of acceptance or money.

If you feel you must sit on Saturday, I'd suggest you pick maybe three LR types you're getting the most wrong on, then work hard on those question types. Buy the LR questions by type from Cambridge LSAT for the question types you're going to focus on. Do these like I said above - make sure you understand why you got them right or if you get a wrong answer understand why it was wrong and why the credited response is correct.

Don't give up. Remember, you have a get out of jail free card from LSAC - you can postpone now and probably not even have this show up as an absence.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 am

OP, wait until June. You are correct that you are thinking too much about the "strategies" in the Bibles rather than the content of how to answer the questions. You need to learn how to get to the right answers first before worrying about timing.

Don't worry about thinking things like "10 in 10". Worry about how to identify the assumption or best weaken the argument or what the different options mean on flaw questions first. Then go to PT's and timed sections.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:45 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

Be honest and hard on yourself with time and bubbling. When the alarm goes off, that's it. Do 3 sections straight through with an odd LR or LG thrown in there. Give yourself a 15 minute break, and then do the last 2 sections back to back.

I looked on LSN and unless your gpa is above a 3.5, you'll need a 160 MINIMUM for Ohio and in that area for Case Western. If you don't get a 160 tomorrow... TAKE THE FREE MULLIGAN!!!

Perjury

Postby Perjury » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:36 am

there is always somebody that has to complain and make excuses
Last edited by Perjury on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

psin34

Postby psin34 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:37 am

My question is how do you know the test will be in 2 days. Have you received an email yet confirming the date, because I havnt.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:39 pm

psin34 wrote:My question is how do you know the test will be in 2 days. Have you received an email yet confirming the date, because I havnt.

I received an email from the LSAC on Tuesday. I am testing at Test Center #4505 (Ohio State).

I did some drills this morning and will be taking practice test #55 or #56 tonight. I will let you guys know how that goes and maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Like others said, your best bet is to wait until June and nail the test.

But if you are dead set on studying, I'd do the following: ONLY DO GAMES. Seriously, it is the easiest place to pick up points and the only place you'll find quick results. This is way too late in the game to be practicing RC and LR. Make sure you know your sequencing, advanced linear, and grouping well (especially in/out!). There have been a lot of sequencing and in/out games lately.

As for LR, I'd avoid the long parallel flaw type questions. I can do LR in less than 30 minutes but I still can't do these in less than 2 minutes accurately if they are in the difficult portion of the test (15-25). Be merciless about skipping those questions you can't answer quickly--you can drop a few points and get the score you need if you make it up elsewhere.

Make sure you get a good sleep the night before, the sleep is worth far more than the hours studying.

So either get off the internet and start doing games or wait until June.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”