Darn timing. I just don't know what to do anymore. Help

Darn timing. I just don't know what to do anymore. Help

Postby Madman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:37 pm

I wrote the Feb LSAT and I definitely don't think it went as great as it should have. My timed PT average was around 165 with a few 170's sprinkled throughout. I think i did brutal.

Anyhow, my major issue on all 3 sections is always timing. I am decently accurate, but after doing a boatload of PT's I still usually guess on 1 or 2 LR's due to time, usually a part of a game and usually an RC passage.

I am just so damn slow, particularly on the newer tests (especially LR). I have tried the 15 in 15 min thing and all of that, but I can't seem to trim my time anymore.

Have I just maxed out, or has someone been in a similar situation and manage to eventually get faster?

Should I consult a tutor or what, I just don't know how to get faster. It really is a major barrier for me.

Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. This is after 5 months of study about 15 hours per week

Re: Darn timing. I just don't know what to do anymore. Help

Postby orphanarium » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Last edited by orphanarium on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby birD » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 pm

something really weird but helped me with LR timing was to save the question types I do the worst on for last. for me my hard question types were must be true, principal and parallel reasoning so as soon as i read the stem it is was one of those i circled it and moved on and didn't even read the question. after i finished the rest of the questions I would go back and do those ones I had circled. I don't know how but when I do this I finish with one or two minutes to spare and when I don't do it I end up having to guess on 3-4 because I run out of time. Maybe it's because I don't get bogged down on the ones that give me trouble early on. seriously try this it's the only thing that ever worked for me. In terms of RC just try to do each passage in 8:45. Get a good watch like this --LinkRemoved-- it really helps.

Postby kacee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:49 am

Are you planning on taking this again in June if you did poorly on the Feb test? I don't see any other reason why you'd be asking so I'm assuming yes.

What methods did you learn to study? Just PTs? Doing lots of PTs will definitely help you learn accuracy, but timing you need to be able to trim corners. Knowing the strategies of how to diagram good logic games so that the answers are right in your diagram is essential. Knowing what answers to look for (or dismiss immediately) in LR is essential so that you can breeze past the first group and spend those precious extra seconds on the later, tricky questions.

My suggestion (and I am kind of zealous on this so take my advice for what it's worth) is picking up the Powerscore Bibles, if you are really committed to cutting time. The strategies they teach may not help you get THAT much more accuracy, if you are already getting most of your questions right, but it will DEFINITELY help with speed. Being familiar with the different question types means that you know right away what the answer should be, and you often know the answer before even reading the choices, which means you can do the first 10-15 questions in under a minute a piece. If it's worth the money to you to trim time off these sections, pick these up. They can really help with your timing issues.

Also, what are you using to time? I liked to use an analog watch that I reset after every section, so it always hit 35 mins in the same spot (ie, set to 12:00, section is over when minute hand is on 7, every time). Checking the time too frequently will definitely hurt you. For LGs, you should be checking after every game. LR, after the first 10, then not again til maybe late teens, using that as a gauge to see how fast or slow you can go with the last 7-8 questions.

RC is hard to give advice on. But you shouldn't be checking the time too much. If you really can't improve your speed on RC, then maybe you should opt to do the sections with the most questions first, leaving the "shortest" section for last so that you can accurately answer as many as possible.

I hope you're planning on taking this again in June so I wasn't just wasting my (finger) breath. :)

Postby HungryHippo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 am

You can improve LR & AR with practice.

I also went through the bibles and reviewed every question that I could get my hands on.

I don't know if anybody else does this, but on LR, I would try to finish the first 10 questions in 10 minutes. Too me, the first ten are usually easier.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”