Confused on which PTs should be taken

hellojd

Confused on which PTs should be taken

Postby hellojd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:29 am

Hey guys,

So about 2 weeks into my LSAT prep for June, I've been thinking of working through the "10 More" series, 1 test a week, as a benchmark. Now, after doing a search on the forum, it seems that these are old enough to the point where they are only useful for drills, on a section-by-section basis.

I started with a high diagnostic, so I thought doing preptests repeatedly (and reviewing) and the bibles was the best mode of practice. Should I start with maybe PrepTest 29+ then? After looking through everyone's comments, it seems that most 170+ individuals took at least 30 preptests (and the last one I will have access to is PT 59).

Should I reserve the 10 Actual and 10 More for drills, a la Pithypike's guide?

Pricer

Re: Confused on which PTs should be taken

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 am

I never used the newer tests, and I did not feel like the February one was very different. I only used PTs in the 20s and early 30s. That said, I scored significantly higher on those PTs than I expect my score to be on the real test. Perhaps I would have done better using the latest PTs.

peeker82

Postby peeker82 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 am

you'll notice a big difference from the mid forties on. they get progressively harder. more ambiguous LR questions, more challenging RC passages/questions. Games go back and forth, tho, you can find some of the hardest game sections in the 20s. Though the 2009 tests all have more challenging than average game sections too, especially June 09.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:55 am

Tests in the 40's and 50's to get the best idea of the full thing (especially tests in the late 50's because of the comparative RC passages). Do individual sections in the earlier tests (especially the 20's and 30's) to drill games.

However, you can certainly do all of those preptests, but I would make sure to vary them and don't take them in order. And definitely note the differences in your scores between older and newer tests (ie. if you are getting 170's on the older tests and 160's on the newer tests, take that into consideration with your PT average).

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:56 am

peeker82 wrote:more ambiguous LR questions, more challenging RC passages/questions.

Absolutely agreed. I think it's imperative to make PTs in the 50s at some point -- you need to know what types of questions are trending so you can adjust your studies accordingly. If you're missing a question type that's showing up a lot on recent tests, that's important to know.

I'd say do your studying first, though. Get your good habits in, make sure you're solid on formal logic and attacking reading comp passages, and then start doing those full length PTs.

peeker82

Postby peeker82 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:13 pm

earlier tests are also always useful tho - new questions, new passages/games. If you got the time, best way to prepare is to take them ALL.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:45 pm

I guess I have about 4 months left to prepare, so I'll take a few more PTs in the 20s. It looks like most people agree that 30 prep tests is ideal going into the test, so I'll probably shoot to do 29-59.

But it concerns me that these tests I've taken (PT 19, SuperPrep 1) are easier than the most recent ones. Man... I wish it was the other way around lol

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:07 pm

I'd go for balance of quantity and quality.
Quantity insofar as buying at least 1 of the 10 actual sets for cheapness.
Quality as in some recent ones to get a feel for them, as well as the superprep (indispensable)

Personally I did 10 actual, 10 more actual, superprep, and 44-59.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”