Feb test confiscated after break ... advice please?

mikeytwoshoes

Re: Feb test confiscated after break ... advice please?

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I wonder... Back in the early 1990's, around the time the wheel and cell phone were invented, how many children suffered/died because their parents had no way of checking on them with a cell phone during a 4 hour period of time?

All of them.

Zannie1986

Postby Zannie1986 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Don't let Matlock and Co. fuck with your mind, OP, what happened was unfortunate but having to answer to 20something bullies who would <3 bloody pulp babies doesn't seem justified, either..

UGHilbert

Postby UGHilbert » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Not to deviate from the subject too much, but it probably wasn't THAT much of a distraction to others. The bigger issue is that there was a cell phone in the room, and despite special circumstances, the test taker should have either a) not taken the test that day or b) not brought a cell phone.

A bigger "distraction" during my test (and it really was distracting) was the person sitting next to me being sick and coughing/sneezing the entire time, along with throat-clearing, sniffling, and all that jazz. I know I seem like a heartless bastard, but it was genuinely terrible. Imagine gritting your teeth through a RC section and trying to concentrate through intermittent, not nearly as sporadic as you might imagine, sniffles, obnoxious coughing, and some pretty devastating sneezes. But I guess you can't throw someone out for that?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 pm

UGHilbert wrote:Not to deviate from the subject too much, but it probably wasn't THAT much of a distraction to others. The bigger issue is that there was a cell phone in the room, and despite special circumstances, the test taker should have either a) not taken the test that day or b) not brought a cell phone.

Yeah, it's probably more to eliminate a potential source of cheating more than because of the potential for 'distraction'.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Zannie1986 wrote:Don't let Matlock and Co. fuck with your mind, OP, what happened was unfortunate but having to answer to 20something bullies who would <3 bloody pulp babies doesn't seem justified, either..

God bless you my child! :D

And saffron added to bloody pulp babies is amazing!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 pm

dynomite wrote:
Pricer wrote:I feel like law schools are more forgiving than LSAC.

Yes. Especially if you couch this as a brain-fart ("I knew the rule and meant to put the phone back in my car after the break, but out of habit slipped it into my pocket. When I realized my error back in the test room, I tried to remove the battery to eliminate any appearance of impropriety and was dismissed from the testing center

Even more if she couches it as "My son was very sick and is more important than the LSAT." Adcomms tend to be middle-aged or elderly with families. They know the deal.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:40 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:I wonder... Back in the early 1990's, around the time the wheel and cell phone were invented, how many children suffered/died because their parents had no way of checking on them with a cell phone during a 4 hour period of time?

All of them.

It was a bloodbath.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
artlaw wrote:Yes, Albanach, your two-step approach is what I will do. Thank you!

As for Mr. Matlock and Ragged, my son had contracted blood poisoning (as a result of an allergic reaction to fire ant bites) and it was traveling in a red line towards his heart. You may be relieved to know the antibiotics, etc, were able to halt the progress so he can continue his childhood. These things tend to increase or decrease in severity hour-by-hour. Thank you for your indirect concern.

So often in life how we help others does not forge our character, but instead it reveals it.
My best wishes to your present or future children.

Well thank you artlaw.

As a parent of a 5 year old daughter, I can assure you if she had contacted ANYTHING that placed her life at risk, the last thing on my mind would be a 4 hour LSAT exam.

You see, I value my child above all other things. I would never risk the integrity of a testing environment by being so selfish as to place the importance of my life above those people around me. Some special snowflakes, though, figure the rules certainly don't apply to their situations. These people feel entitled to jeopardize the concentration and momentum of the people around them. What is going on in their lives is certainly not more important than yours.

I feel no pity or sorrow for your LSAT situation whatsoever. If pity is to be given, it's to anyone who was disturbed by your actions. I do however, wish your son a full and speedy recovery. But that is an entirely separate issue. I may seem cold and uncaring, but I place value on the integrity of the process and the fairness for ALL of those concerned. We all have to weigh our values and options in life. And now we all know where you placed yours.

Good day to you.

To Matlock:

Judgmental much?

I'd avoid such unwarranted hostility. Karma's a bitch.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

All of them.

It was a bloodbath.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:01 pm

phoenix323 wrote:
To Matlock:

Judgmental much?

I'd avoid such unwarranted hostility. Karma's a bitch.

:lol:
Thanks Karma!

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:[strike]Well thank you artlaw.

As a parent of a 5 year old daughter, I can assure you if she had contacted ANYTHING that placed her life at risk, the last thing on my mind would be a 4 hour LSAT exam.

You see, I value my child above all other things. I would never risk the integrity of a testing environment by being so selfish as to place the importance of my life above those people around me. Some special snowflakes, though, figure the rules certainly don't apply to their situations. These people feel entitled to jeopardize the concentration and momentum of the people around them. What is going on in their lives is certainly not more important than yours.

I feel no pity or sorrow for your LSAT situation whatsoever. If pity is to be given, it's to anyone who was disturbed by your actions. I do however, wish your son a full and speedy recovery. But that is an entirely separate issue. I may seem cold and uncaring, but I place value on the integrity of the process and the fairness for ALL of those concerned. We all have to weigh our values and options in life. And now we all know where you placed yours.

Good day to you[/strike] I'm a douche.

Experimental Section

Postby Experimental Section » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 pm

How hard is it to bring a cell phone into a test site and not have it make a sound? I mean seriously, this is epic fail. Epic, epic fail. Everyone brings their phone. Everyone turns it off and puts it in their pocket during the test because LSAT sites don't give you a place to put the damn things. It's one of those rules that everyone knows, everyone breaks, and that's just how it is. I don't know how much sympathy I can give to someone who decides to remove the cell phone battery from the phone during the test. Wow. Sorry for being so harsh. I hope everything works out for you in the long run, but wow, that was a bad, bad idea.

thunder 85

Postby thunder 85 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:14 pm

I didn't bother to read the entire thread, but I think it should be noted that trips to your car and using the phone at all , even during the break, are both prohibited by LSAC.

Saying you went to use it during the break and accidently brought it back with you still makes you violating multiple rules.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 pm

cdd_04 wrote:

:lol: You're going to make a fine lawyer Tootse!

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Experimental Section wrote:How hard is it to bring a cell phone into a test site and not have it make a sound? I mean seriously, this is epic fail. Epic, epic fail. Everyone brings their phone. Everyone turns it off and puts it in their pocket during the test because LSAT sites don't give you a place to put the damn things. It's one of those rules that everyone knows, everyone breaks, and that's just how it is. I don't know how much sympathy I can give to someone who decides to remove the cell phone battery from the phone during the test. Wow. Sorry for being so harsh. I hope everything works out for you in the long run, but wow, that was a bad, bad idea.

Maybe you should give a little sympathy because YOU are a big enough douche to break the rule as well; the only difference is the OP got caught. I (took twice) never brought a cell phone into the test center, it stayed in my car. I know what you are saying, you don't feel bad for the OP because every other person manages to break the rule and doesn't get caught, so OP you suck because you got caught. You are still a douche. And way to point out the fact that you broke the rule as well, just were cool enough to not get caught. Good one!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:23 pm

cdd_04 wrote:
Experimental Section wrote:How hard is it to bring a cell phone into a test site and not have it make a sound? I mean seriously, this is epic fail. Epic, epic fail. Everyone brings their phone. Everyone turns it off and puts it in their pocket during the test because LSAT sites don't give you a place to put the damn things. It's one of those rules that everyone knows, everyone breaks, and that's just how it is. I don't know how much sympathy I can give to someone who decides to remove the cell phone battery from the phone during the test. Wow. Sorry for being so harsh. I hope everything works out for you in the long run, but wow, that was a bad, bad idea.

Maybe you should give a little sympathy because YOU are a big enough douche to break the rule as well; the only difference is the OP got caught. I (took twice) never brought a cell phone into the test center, it stayed in my car. I know what you are saying, you don't feel bad for the OP because every other person manages to break the rule and doesn't get caught, so OP you suck because you got caught. You are still a douche. And way to point out the fact that you broke the rule as well, just were cool enough to not get caught. Good one!

I left my cell phone in my car, but I still agree I'm a douche. It's tough being a guy who follows instructions.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Experimental Section wrote:How hard is it to bring a cell phone into a test site and not have it make a sound? I mean seriously, this is epic fail. Epic, epic fail. Everyone brings their phone. Everyone turns it off and puts it in their pocket during the test because LSAT sites don't give you a place to put the damn things. It's one of those rules that everyone knows, everyone breaks, and that's just how it is.

Um, no. You can't leave your phone in the car for 4 hours? It's really not a big deal of a rule.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:

:lol: You're going to make a fine lawyer Tootse!

Is that sarcasm? You silly person, you.

Experimental Section

Postby Experimental Section » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:36 pm

I took the LSAT in downtown DC. Nearly everyone there took public transportation to the test. The test sites do not provide anywhere to store a phone. It doesn't take a lot of common sense to realize that a lot of people there are going to have phones powered off and in their pockets. That does not give them an added advantage to the test.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:

I left my cell phone in my car, but I still agree I'm a douche. It's tough being a guy who follows instructions.

I follow instructions too, but I don't criticize those who make honest mistakes. At least the OP attempted -- albeit to his/her demise-- to let the Nazi test admin know that his/she wasn't trying to cheat. I'm glad you admit you're a douche though :D The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Experimental Section wrote:I took the LSAT in downtown DC. Nearly everyone there took public transportation to the test. The test sites do not provide anywhere to store a phone. It doesn't take a lot of common sense to realize that a lot of people there are going to have phones powered off and in their pockets. That does not give them an added advantage to the test.

Hey genius, if you're taking public transportation and there isn't anywhere in the building to store your phone...maybe you should leave it at home. Now there's a novel idea! And you know that nice little clear ziploc bag you are allowed to bring to the test center? Maybe, just maybe, you could store it in there. Oh, that's right, that would be breaking the rules (no phones in test center remember). So, back to my original comment, you still broke the rule. And the solution? Leave the phone at home. Geez, wasn't that easy?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:42 pm

cdd_04 wrote:Hey genius, if you're taking public transportation and there isn't anywhere in the building to store your phone...maybe you should leave it at home. Now there's a novel idea! And you know that nice little clear ziploc bag you are allowed to bring to the test center? Maybe, just maybe, you could store it in there. Oh, that's right, that would be breaking the rules (no phones in test center remember). So, back to my original comment, you still broke the rule. And the solution? Leave the phone at home. Geez, wasn't that easy?

Don't be such a douchebag, douchebag.

Experimental Section

Postby Experimental Section » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 pm

cdd_04 wrote:

Where in my post did I say that I brought my phone to the LSAT? Please point that out for me. Even if I had, I promise you, I would've gotten the same score.

Experimental Section

Postby Experimental Section » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:50 pm

cdd_04 wrote:if you're taking public transportation and there isn't anywhere in the building to store your phone...maybe

... then maybe turning your phone off and keeping it in your pocket is a very rational, responsible idea. And what's with all the name calling?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Experimental Section wrote:
cdd_04 wrote:if you're taking public transportation and there isn't anywhere in the building to store your phone...maybe

... then maybe turning your phone off and keeping it in your pocket is a very rational, responsible idea. And what's with all the name calling?

Well, she called me a douche first. I guess it kind of makes us Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum.

I CALL TWEEDLE-DEE!!!!

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 pm

The main thing I've learned from this thread is that if you want to steal cellphones, breaking into cars near a test center is probably the way to go.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”