Shortening time on each section?

letsdoit1982

Shortening time on each section?

Postby letsdoit1982 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:35 pm

I never understood the point of this. It seems like people reduce time on their PTs (i.e. 30 mins a section) and then when they take the real test and have 35 mins, they automatically assume that the strategy worked because they scored above their expectations. Nevertheless, people continue to suggest cutting off time, and I'm just wondering if there is actually a good reason for this.

jonas586

Re: Shortening time on each section?

Postby jonas586 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 pm

I did this and thought it was an extremely helpful way to force myself to process each stimulus and answer choice at a quicker pace. I always had problems with time management, and for some reason, knowing that I had even less time helped me push myself harder, read more proactively, and process each answer choice faster.

I didn't score above my expectations on test day, but I also didn't see a very big drop in my average score. I was able to finish every section during the actual test and I attribute this, in a big way, to reducing the time on my PTs.

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:04 pm

jonas586 wrote:I did this and thought it was an extremely helpful way to force myself to process each stimulus and answer choice at a quicker pace. I always had problems with time management, and for some reason, knowing that I had even less time helped me push myself harder, read more proactively, and process each answer choice faster.

I didn't score above my expectations on test day, but I also didn't see a very big drop in my average score. I was able to finish every section during the actual test and I attribute this, in a big way, to reducing the time on my PTs.

My problem, however, is that I have trouble finishing sections as it is.

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Once I start doing timed sections/test (i'm taking in June), I will be starting at 35 mins and working my way down to 30 mins. I hate the feeling of running out of time no matter what the situation and I absolutely do NOT want to walk out of the test feeling like I rushed. It seems to produce results for some, we shall see how it goes!

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote:
jonas586 wrote:I did this and thought it was an extremely helpful way to force myself to process each stimulus and answer choice at a quicker pace. I always had problems with time management, and for some reason, knowing that I had even less time helped me push myself harder, read more proactively, and process each answer choice faster.

My problem, however, is that I have trouble finishing sections as it is.

Accuracy first, then speed. If you're having trouble finishing sections right now you're definitely not at the point where you can start trying to finish in 30 minutes. However, once you do get the hang of it trying to shorten your average "completion" time to 30 minutes is very helpful. I found that if you're used to finishing in 30 minutes you feel more calm & confident on the actual test day, less rushed since you know you'll have 5 minutes to check on anything that might happen - misbubbling, those questions that you're not really sure of etc.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:48 pm

In particular you need to feel that you can finish LG and RC with time left because there is always a chance on the real test that 1. anxiety (you'll find this is uncontrollable no matter how relaxed in general you feel you are) will make you go slower and 2. sometimes LG and RC can be surprisingly difficult

Many many people lose LG points they were counting on, on the real thing, because they end up running out of time on test day. Definitely make sure you can do LG in about 30-32 minutes for the last PTs.

And if you're doing RC right then you'll find time becomes a non-issue basically, but if you're having serious time issues on RC try a new strategy till you can do it in 30 minutes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”