Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Oban » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:26 pm

After dealing with actual law school material, i've come to appreciate the thinking behind LR questions(flaw, nec suffic, etc), and RC in general, but i still don't see how Logic Games are relevant to Law School or being a Lawyer.

thoughts?

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:28 pm

It measures the ability to hold a set of rules in mind and apply those rules as situations change, or demonstrate an understanding that one rule can materially affect another. It sounds an awful lot like being a lawyer to me.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Oban » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Interesting Point. I guess i see legal rules in a different light then game rules.

dynomite
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby dynomite » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Right.

It's for a similar reason that Google asks potential new hires in interviews "Why are manhole covers round?," and "In a country in which people only want boys, every family continues to have children until they have a boy. If they have a girl, they have another child. If they have a boy, they stop. What is the proportion of boys to girls in the country?"

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Oban » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:36 pm

dynomite wrote:Right.

It's for a similar reason that Google asks potential new hires in interviews "Why are manhole covers round?," and "In a country in which people only want boys, every family continues to have children until they have a boy. If they have a girl, they have another child. If they have a boy, they stop. What is the proportion of boys to girls in the country?"



The manhole cover is more subjective and psychological, nothing like logic games.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Oban wrote:Interesting Point. I guess i see legal rules in a different light then game rules.


Yes, but they are measuring the capacity for a certian type of thinking. In some ways games rules are easier becasue they have no nuance or ambiguous language.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Oban » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:48 pm

still, i dont think learning all the tricks to master games is going to help me apply rules to laws.

We'll see.

Anyway, it's a moot point. Horay for tests.

User avatar
toolshed
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby toolshed » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Oban wrote:
dynomite wrote:Right.

It's for a similar reason that Google asks potential new hires in interviews "Why are manhole covers round?," and "In a country in which people only want boys, every family continues to have children until they have a boy. If they have a girl, they have another child. If they have a boy, they stop. What is the proportion of boys to girls in the country?"



The manhole cover is more subjective and psychological, nothing like logic games.


What?

too old for this sh*
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Oban wrote:still, i dont think learning all the tricks to master games is going to help me apply rules to laws.

We'll see.


Quick Cliff's answer for you: it doesn't.

While there are curveballs that appellate courts will like to throw during oral argument, it is nothing like the nonsense one is confronted with on the LSAT. And even the curveballs shouldn't be an issue if you have properly prepped the case even when one considers that the courts seem to like asking stuff during oral argument that was not even addressed in the briefs...

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Zapatero » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Oban wrote:
dynomite wrote:Right.

It's for a similar reason that Google asks potential new hires in interviews "Why are manhole covers round?," and "In a country in which people only want boys, every family continues to have children until they have a boy. If they have a girl, they have another child. If they have a boy, they stop. What is the proportion of boys to girls in the country?"



The manhole cover is more subjective and psychological, nothing like logic games.


The manhole cover is round so that it can't ever fall into the manhole.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Sandro » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:39 pm

I don't really see the point of Logic Games. You could be incredible at dissecting arguments / reading comp .... but how making a diagram and tracking variables and all the other stupid little tricks you use to defeat logic games in ANY way measures anything is BULLSHIT!!!!! ahhhh


If not for LG i would get a 180.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I don't really see the point of Logic Games. You could be incredible at dissecting arguments / reading comp .... but how making a diagram and tracking variables and all the other stupid little tricks you use to defeat logic games in ANY way measures anything is BULLSHIT!!!!! ahhhh


If not for LG i would get a 180.


People always tend to overestimate their own skill set, and underestimate the importance of their weaknesses.

User avatar
nsideirish
Posts: 416
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby nsideirish » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Logic Games are on the LSAT so that Logic Game Bibles continue to sell.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:12 pm

jks289 wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I don't really see the point of Logic Games. You could be incredible at dissecting arguments / reading comp .... but how making a diagram and tracking variables and all the other stupid little tricks you use to defeat logic games in ANY way measures anything is BULLSHIT!!!!! ahhhh


If not for LG i would get a 180.


People always tend to overestimate their own skill set, and underestimate the importance of their weaknesses.



Its hard not to read everything you say in the freezing cold Betty-Draper-I've-Pretty-Much-Checked-Out-On-Life-Here's-the-kids-Don Voice.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
jks289 wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I don't really see the point of Logic Games. You could be incredible at dissecting arguments / reading comp .... but how making a diagram and tracking variables and all the other stupid little tricks you use to defeat logic games in ANY way measures anything is BULLSHIT!!!!! ahhhh


If not for LG i would get a 180.


People always tend to overestimate their own skill set, and underestimate the importance of their weaknesses.



Its hard not to read everything you say in the freezing cold Betty-Draper-I've-Pretty-Much-Checked-Out-On-Life-Here's-the-kids-Don Voice.


Funny. That is exactly how law school applications have made me feel. Dead inside.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Another good question could be: Why 35 minutes per section? I think it is all to keep people out of law school that could probably do well if they got in.

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:05 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Another good question could be: Why 35 minutes per section? I think it is all to keep people out of law school that could probably do well if they got in.

Huh?

dynomite
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby dynomite » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:09 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Another good question could be: Why 35 minutes per section? I think it is all to keep people out of law school that could probably do well if they got in.

Huh?


Clearly you don't understand. The LSAC is this evil, shadowy group of evil-doers. They scheme up ways to prevent otherwise capable people from going to the law schools of their dreams because... well, because they're evil. The only thing in the world they love is their cat.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 pm

in case you are at a car wash with 5 to 7 other drivers and their cars all a distinct make, model and color and each driver has a different name and hair color when the power goes out and you cannot determine who got there first.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Another good question could be: Why 35 minutes per section? I think it is all to keep people out of law school that could probably do well if they got in.


get used to it...time constraints are part of being a law student as well. 3 hour exams, timed bar, etc. even lawyers are often faced with tight deadlines. performing well under time pressure is actually one of the most relevant aspects of the LSAT

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 pm

GATORTIM wrote:in case you are at a car wash with 5 to 7 other drivers and their cars all a distinct make, model and color and each driver has a different name and hair color when the power goes out and you cannot determine who got there first.


You have no idea how much I hate you right now.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby rayiner » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:20 pm

A law exam hypo is like a giant logic game where the rules are 50 pages of material u learned in the course. It tests working memory (being able to keep track of parties and relationships) and rapid rule application/inference.

blackmamba76
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby blackmamba76 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I don't really see the point of Logic Games. You could be incredible at dissecting arguments / reading comp .... but how making a diagram and tracking variables and all the other stupid little tricks you use to defeat logic games in ANY way measures anything is BULLSHIT!!!!! ahhhh


If not for LG i would get a 180.


My sentiments exactly! How's trying to figure out what kind of pastry Mr Baker sells Mon-Sat supposed to determine my success in Law school?

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby Oban » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:32 pm

GATORTIM wrote:in case you are at a car wash with 5 to 7 other drivers and their cars all a distinct make, model and color and each driver has a different name and hair color when the power goes out and you cannot determine who got there first.

I lol'd

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: Why are Logic Games on the LSAT?

Postby twintipping_bumps » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Alot of people say LG is like math and math is the best UG major for Law. I guess the idea of taking a multitude of variables, each of which having a certain set of conditions surrounding how they fit into a whole, and fitting them into different circumstances makes sense. Too bad I dropped out of Pre Cal honors after first 1/3 of junior year high school and never touched Match again. My quantitative requirement satisfaction in UG was "Chaos Theory."

But, I think the LGs are kind of fun. Even though they are going to kill my Feb score, I understand that them being timed makes sense in order to judge ability, and I think having studied them will enhance my ability to deal with issues that require the skills they test in the future.

That being said, I think my general LSAT ability would be much higher had LG not been a factor over the last year during prep and actual tests.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest