What's a realistic score I could achieve with....

Solerpower

What's a realistic score I could achieve with....

Postby Solerpower » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

So I've taken 4 practice tests, just started to begin reading the LG and LR bibles (30 pages in), and i'm wondering what a realistic score I could achieve with 10 hours of studying a week until June.

First PT I scored a 156
Second I scored a 161
Third I scored a 160
Fourth I scored a 164

Breakdown of the fourth:

LR: 20/25
LR2: 19/25
LG: 22/24
RC: 20/25

I would appreciate any advice on what specific section you believe I should really focus on and how you believe I should go about studying for said section.

Also, as previously mentioned, what score you think I could achieve.

Gracias

UFMatt

Re: What's a realistic score I could achieve with....

Postby UFMatt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 pm

No reason you can't crack 170, especially since you seem strong in LG. Get those LR scores up.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about goal setting. There is no way someone can asses your ability based on a few PTs. How carefully you timed it, no breaks, which tests etc, all matter. Shoot for a 180. Keep studying until you feel like you are rock solid on each section.

ShiftyOne

Postby ShiftyOne » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:52 pm

You might want to pace yourself a little more. Your going to be burnt out or out of material well before june with that amount of studying.

Solerpower

Postby Solerpower » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

ShiftyOne wrote:You might want to pace yourself a little more. Your going to be burnt out or out of material well before june with that amount of studying.

2 hours a day M-F isn't going to burn me out, that's for sure

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:09 am

Realistically, you could definitely hit a -0 on games since you're that close. Read the bible and make sure you understand it, don't just blankly read through it. This helped me immensely.

I'd also say the fact that you're hitting 20/25 on LR means you understand the majority of the questions. Maybe a certain type of Q or stupid rushed mistakes are bringing you down. If it's a certain type of question, review that type in the bible. You're probably at a point where drilling LR is you're best bet. Just keep doing sections until your accuracy is great. Go back and look at your wrong answers and while you're taking the sections circle the ones you are unsure about so even if you get them right you can review them. Make sure you know why they were wrong and why the correct answers were right.

At least for me, RC fluctuates and although I can hit -2 or better, anything better than -5 is solid for me, so it looks like you're in pretty good shape there. Some people get killed by RC. With those PT scores, there really is no reason you can't hit 170 if it all comes together on the day of the test. If you can't improve that RC score though, the key is going to be a -0 on the games, and cutting that LR in half. You're only 6 or 7 Q's away from a ridiculous score though, so just take your time. It will probably click for you eventually.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 am

FuManChusco wrote:Realistically, you could definitely hit a -0 on games since you're that close. Read the bible and make sure you understand it, don't just blankly read through it. This helped me immensely.

I'd also say the fact that you're hitting 20/25 on LR means you understand the majority of the questions. Maybe a certain type of Q or stupid rushed mistakes are bringing you down. If it's a certain type of question, review that type in the bible. You're probably at a point where drilling LR is you're best bet. Just keep doing sections until your accuracy is great. Go back and look at your wrong answers and while you're taking the sections circle the ones you are unsure about so even if you get them right you can review them. Make sure you know why they were wrong and why the correct answers were right.

At least for me, RC fluctuates and although I can hit -2 or better, anything better than -5 is solid for me, so it looks like you're in pretty good shape there. Some people get killed by RC. With those PT scores, there really is no reason you can't hit 170 if it all comes together on the day of the test. If you can't improve that RC score though, the key is going to be a -0 on the games, and cutting that LR in half. You're only 6 or 7 Q's away from a ridiculous score though, so just take your time. It will probably click for you eventually.

+1 this is all real solid advice

I would lock the games down now. Get to a point where you can finish every question with 100% confidence that you got them all right. With this much time and how close you are, it shouldnt be too hard

The bolded is particularly great advice. Use every part of the exam to learn something else. Isolating and mastering different types of LR questions is a great way to increase your score.

There is a lot of time between now and the test, Use this month to test out the different methods for testing and figure out what works best for you. i.e. Are you good at assumption negation? Have you tried reading the passage twice? How fast can you set up multiple options?

The one thing I wish I reflected more on before I took the test was the importance of individual PTs. I wanted to increase my scores so badly that I let little things slide. I took the fact that I got an answer right to mean that I had a complete understanding of the question. This is simply not always true. No one cares about what you got on any of your PTs, they only care about what you get on gameday. Each PT is an opportunity to learn. If you get a 150 on a PT but that forces you to go back and scrub the deck and get a mroe fundamental understanding of a key concept, then it was more worth it than getting a 175. Think about every question and understand exactly the logic that would get you to the answer fastest. What is the concept they are trying to test? Do you fully understand this concept?

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 am

I think you could definitely get within the 168-172 range average by the time of the test, and a 173+ with some luck.

7ED

Postby 7ED » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:49 am

I started studying in december for the february LSAT. First score was a 157. I averaged 178 for my last 15 exams (i think i got owned on the real one though). No reason why you shouldn't be aiming for 180.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”