Which section best tests lawyering skills?

prelaw10

Which section best tests lawyering skills?

Postby prelaw10 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:57 am

Which section of the L.S.A.T. is most predictive of performance in law school or in the practice of law? Let's say a person does really stellar on one section, but poorly on the two others -- which person would you say is best prepared for law school?

I know the LSAT is an imperfect test, but if you had to predict performance, who would you put your money on?

too old for this sh*

Re: Which section best tests lawyering skills?

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:15 pm

IMO, and based on better than a decade of working in firms focusing on post-conviction work, none of the sections really take into account the work performed on a daily basis. In addition to my work with sole practitioners, I also had better than a decade with a large State agency, also focusing in the realm of post-conviction work in which I am presently involved.

Maybe I am too jaded after having spent roughly 25 years of my life working in and around elements of criminal law, but none of the three areas of the test seem to really hit on the ability to think on one's feet or to get creative in arguing a position that has not previously been addressed by the appellate courts (and secure a favorable ruling for the client).

Put me squarely in the camp of those who view the test as an imperfect tool. It seems to have become too much of a crutch in the admissions process and does not always allow for one to stand on a track record of performance. IMO, something is very flawed with a system that can toss out a body of work three decades in the making in favor of six hours blown on a Saturday almost 30 years after one has taken their first college course.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”