140 diagnostic

pseudonym1

140 diagnostic

Postby pseudonym1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 am

About 8 months ago, with no study or preperation whatsoever, I received a demoralizing 140 on my first diagnostic. I worked my way up to a 153 after 2-2.5 months of studying bad material, such as the Princeton Review Workout and Mcgraw's logic games booklet. I stopped my studies in the fall after failing to meet my 'personal' LSAT-score deadline (minimum - 160 by Sept. 26, 2009) and now plan on taking the June session. I currently have in my possession all three of the powerscore books which I plan on reading through thoroughly. I have also taken several practice tests, timed and untimed, which was probably the only productive part of my summer studies. Unfortunately, now I have a limited amount of real practice tests at my disposal. Pretty much, I am just curious if anyone has had this sort of struggle before, and if there are any suggestions that would help my 'unique' situation. After my first diagnostic I seriously questioned going to law school at all, and if I had been aquainted with the 170+ flaunted scores on this forum, I probably would have. Anyway, any advice/input/opine is greatly appreciated.

dynomite

Re: 140 diagnostic

Postby dynomite » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50 am

pseudonym1 wrote:About 8 months ago, with no study or preperation whatsoever, I received a demoralizing 140 on my first diagnostic. I worked my way up to a 153 after 2-2.5 months of studying bad material, such as the Princeton Review Workout and Mcgraw's logic games booklet. I stopped my studies in the fall after failing to meet my 'personal' LSAT-score deadline (minimum - 160 by Sept. 26, 2009) and now plan on taking the June session. I currently have in my possession all three of the powerscore books which I plan on reading through thoroughly. I have also taken several practice tests, timed and untimed, which was probably the only productive part of my summer studies. Unfortunately, now I have a limited amount of real practice tests at my disposal. Pretty much, I am just curious if anyone has had this sort of struggle before, and if there are any suggestions that would help my 'unique' situation. After my first diagnostic I seriously questioned going to law school at all, and if I had been aquainted with the 170+ flaunted scores on this forum, I probably would have. Anyway, any advice/input/opine is greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of unanswered questions in here. Where do you want to go to law school? Why? How hard did you study those "bad" materials? Why are you still in the 150s? Are you taking too long, or do you not understand questions? Which sections are you having trouble with?

1. You aren't in a "unique" situation -- most of the retakers (both on TLS and off it) have found themselves in the same boat, and many of them have been able to vastly increase their score. Also, some of the threads that have been pinned to the top of this forum have fantastic advice about what to do.

2. Remember, don't get too worked up over those "170+"s you see being thrown around. A 170 is roughly equivalent to the 97/98th percentile. You don't need to score in the top 2/3% of all LSATers on the planet to go to a fantastic law school or have a successful career as a lawyer.

3. You've already increased your PT score 13 points. Good. You now have 4 months to raise your score another (?) points to hit your goal of (?) points.

4. As a retaker myself, I found retaking old tests gave me both a) a confidence boost, and b) helped me better identify the crucial pieces of questions.

5. Obviously, the most important PT for you to study are the most recent ones -- Sept 09 (PT 58), Dec 09 (PT 59). Have you taken those? If not, use those tests in the ways suggested elsewhere in this forum. After going through the LG Bible, photocopy the logic games out of PT 58 & 59, take the PTs, and then make sure you totally deconstruct and break down those games. Learn them inside and out, to the point where you feel like you could make up your own games.

6. BEFORE YOU TAKE TOO MANY MORE PRACTICE TESTS, attack those Powerscore Bibles. I think it's time for you to build up good habits and confidence before you keep throwing yourself headfirst into tests. To quote Yoda, "You must unlearn what you have learned." Let the Bibles change how you see questions and approaches.

7. Related to those last points, if you're scoring in the 150s it means you're doing things wrong. As you're reading the Bibles for the various sections, be on the lookout for clues as to what your bad habits are. Obviously the Bibles aren't the word of God (get it!?) but they are a very useful guide, and I'm confident that you're going to spot dozens of tips and tricks that will change how you attack questions.

8. Remember, you're in a great position. Law schools have never seen and will never see your 140 or 150s scores. All they're going to see is your June score, so kick ass on that test and profit. Good luck!

watts

Postby watts » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Repetition is what did it for me. If you can identify the question sub-types and work on them enough to recognize them on the fly, the LSAT becomes much easier. You will begin to recognize the different ways LSAC tries to trip you up on different types of questions, and the answers to many questions become kind of predictable. There are a lot of patterns in the LSAT, especially in LG, and with enough practice they become easier to spot. Try to do as many questions as you can, but be carefeul not to run out of material too early.

pseudonym1

Postby pseudonym1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:48 am

It seems that I am struggling with every section. However, I have noticed that the last 10+ questions on the Logical Reasoning sections are much harder. Also, the logic games are hit and miss; however, extra time helps tremendously. Still, I have taken untimed tests before, and I consistently received 160 each time. So, it seems evident that I am just completely missing questions, regardless of any time constraints. Anyway, with regard to the logic games, I can get 20+ correct without being timed, and even when I am timed, I have been able to get 18-20. However, it depends. I can take one test and get 20+ right and then the next test I will only get 10-14. In a nutshell, I just seem very inconsistent with every section. Logical Reasoning is my strongest, but I still end up doing significantly worse on the "harder" logical reasoning portion. Oddly, one of the two logical reasoning sections seems very different than the other. The only consistency I have is reading comprehension, usually getting 16-17 right.

As far as which law schools I wish to attend, anywhere between University of Kentucky and Duke I would be happy with.

My undergraduate GPA isn't as strong as it should be due to a poor performance during my first 1.5 years of college. Therefore, I currently possess a 3.2 GPA, with my last two years averaging very close to a 3.6 GPA.

mdeleon4

Postby mdeleon4 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:00 pm

I was getting 140s my first tests and now im getting 160s. Just use the powerscore books and practice practice practice. Go slow and see what your doing wrong. It is possible to improve greatly at that point. Its making the jump from 160 up that is a bigger pain in the ass.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”