Logic games bible worth it?

npodlask11

Postby npodlask11 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:14 am

i bought a kaplan test guide book, read through it did all the practice exams and problem sets, but my weakness still lies in the logic games. my rents are strongly suggesting that i take a course to be ready for the june exam. i dont know if ill have the time to spend going to a 4 hr class twice a week with working a job and taking 15 credit hrs, then working full time once school gets out in may. i have heard the logic game bible is a good resource for the exam. any thoughts on whether to take the course or just buy the bibles for further study.

am060459

Re: Logic games bible worth it?

Postby am060459 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 am

buy it and thank me later :)

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:26 am

Yes.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 am

The logic games bible is a miracle worker. I've never taken a course but after going through the LGB I started reliably scoring -0 in the games section. Whether or not you take the course, you should definitely buy the LGB and the LRB.

TrialsOfMiles

Postby TrialsOfMiles » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 am

In a misguided act of impulse purchasing, I bought a Kaplan and a Barron's book on the same receipt. Terrible idea. These books made up their own type of LSAT questions and proved thoroughly useless towards the end of my studying. If you are maybe 6+ months out with money to burn, and you want a gentle nudge towards test prep, I would go this route.

I was working with the NOVA book, but even that (save the RC section) was a little iffy. I got the LG and LR Bibles with about 5 weeks to go, and my PTs went up, and by the time the test came around (last Saturday) I felt like I had a good understanding of what I was to expect because PowerScore uses REAL tests - that's the key.

And if you have discipline and work through the Bibles, you can probably forego a prep course, IMHO.

But hey, diffrn't strokes fer diffrn't folks.

Sammi

Postby Sammi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:33 pm

Absolutely. The LGB as well as the LRB really helped me. I took no prep course whatsoever but studied from those two books religiously (get it :D) and took all the PTs I could get my hands on and saw significant improvement in my scores. They are a little pricey but completely worth it.

The LSAC real PTs are a good investment as well!

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 pm

I used to avoid LG like the plague. I remember going to study intent on doing a full PT and then not doing the LG section b/c I was terrified of them and figured it wasn't indicative of my actual capability and that it would just discourage me for the rest of the test.

I did the LGB and I can crush certain games in under 5 minutes now. Gosh, I hope they aren't getting harder...I hope feburary 2010 is just an outlier :S

birD

Postby birD » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm

do pithypike's LG method. trust me.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm

When I did my first diagnostic, I tanked the logic games. Hardcore. I went through the LGB and went -1 for games on the Oct 09 LSAT.

Worth every penny.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Everyone here is in love with that book and, without question, it is a great place to start.

I would caution you, however, not to get too tied to the specific categorizations and formulaic approaches. I think that some of the folks who struggled on the Feb test were those who tried to put each game into a category and use the precise PS approaches. The testmakers know the books too, and I'm pretty sure that they try to find questions or ways of asking questions that don't fit neatly into the PS boxes.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 pm

TrialsOfMiles wrote:In a misguided act of impulse purchasing, I bought a Kaplan and a Barron's book on the same receipt. Terrible idea. These books made up their own type of LSAT questions and proved thoroughly useless towards the end of my studying. If you are maybe 6+ months out with money to burn, and you want a gentle nudge towards test prep, I would go this route.

I was working with the NOVA book, but even that (save the RC section) was a little iffy. I got the LG and LR Bibles with about 5 weeks to go, and my PTs went up, and by the time the test came around (last Saturday) I felt like I had a good understanding of what I was to expect because PowerScore uses REAL tests - that's the key.

And if you have discipline and work through the Bibles, you can probably forego a prep course, IMHO.

But hey, diffrn't strokes fer diffrn't folks.

Kaplan doesn't make up LSAT questions.

OP, buy the LG bible. It's good stuff.

dut99002

Postby dut99002 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Yes, the LG Bible (and the LR Bible) are both worth it, especially if you don't already feel confident about both question types. They provide a lot of useful techniques and tips, but are somewhat lean when it comes to the number of practice questions they have available. *I highly recommend getting additional practice problems so that you can practice the questions in a non-test format.

lakers3peat

Postby lakers3peat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:43 pm

ehhh the LG bible is good but its definetly not the messiah the way people describe it... The book was too short(250 pages) IMO

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 pm

In a word, yes!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:50 pm

It's a very helpful tool, and after doing it I greatly improved on LG. I just want to second what someone about not getting too tied into categorizing the games. No one cares if you know what it's called; it only matters if you can come up with a good diagram. Take the solid strategies from the LGB then adapt them to something that works for you by doing lots, and lots, and lots of LG practice. I recommend doing all the games three times at a rate of 4 games a day.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Best way to improve on games:

1. Read through the LGB carefully
2. Do every game you can get your hands on 3 times reviewing extensively to ensure you did all the techniques properly

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:57 pm

I've never recommended a product with more enthusiasm....it changed my life and it'll change yours

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:04 am

lakers3peat wrote:ehhh the LG bible is good but its definetly not the messiah the way people describe it... The book was too short(250 pages) IMO

You would have found it more useful if you had purchased a copy of the current LGB rather than buying an old used copy or somehow getting a copy of the first version (like maybe from a torrent download? since the available LSAT torrents all contain the original 252 page version rather than the revised updated one).

In 2008 PS released the revised and updated LGB that is 402 pages.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:10 am

The LGB is only the #1 most frequently recommended LSAT prep book on this site.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:12 am

My favorite part about the LGB was that it helped me build the habit of using consistent symbols for different rule scenarios.

I definitely agree with the previous poster who cautioned against confining your approach to the categories outlined in the book (you should always be prepared to attack question types you've never seen before).

That said, the LGB provides enough useful foundational advice to allow for that kind of flexibility. Definitely worth every penny IMO.

mac35352

Postby mac35352 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:02 am

Definitely worth it. My issue was timing and learning their diagraming methods has helped incredibly.
Highly recommend it.

youknowryan

Postby youknowryan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:58 pm

I like the LGB and have read it 2x. That said, I recommend Manhattan LSAT's book over the LGB. Its approach is far more sophisticated and will lead to a much better understanding of HOW LG problems work and this will reduce the possibility of any surprised when practicing for the LSAT or on game day.
Last edited by youknowryan on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:30 pm

For me, the LGB was tremendously helpful. I went from looking at a game and not really understanding the relationships between the variables to being able to efficiently diagram any game I see and easily knock out the questions. After going through the LGB, I rarely have major issues with any games, and by saying that, I am just acknowledging the possibility that there is a game out there that will destroy me one day.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:33 pm

I agree with poster regarding Manhatten/Atlas being better. But I would recommend both as they can compliment each other.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:17 pm

Probably too late for the OP (interesting bump of this thread), but do not buy the LG Bible if you've already bought other prep books. Download it for free. (That being said, it's great and all, but I never got around to finishing it. After the first 100 pages or so, it's all pretty much common sense, or rather, logic.)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”