Dear 174-180 LSAT'ers - share with us your prep-routine.

reasonabledoubt

Dear 174-180 LSAT'ers - share with us your prep-routine.

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Or not, I'd understand if you didn't want to share, but to those that do, I'm curious about what worked for you.
What prep-routine and how long did it take for you to produce this score?

Was it dozens of PT's? A prep-course? Natural ability? How long did you prep? Thanks in advance, LSAT oracles.

Stringer Bell

Re: Dear 174-180 LSAT'ers - share with us your prep-routine.

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:12 am

I mainly used powerscore LR and LG bibles, read constantly (The New Yorker, The Economist, and many legit books), and took 30+ PT's. I work a FT job and I think that actually helped. I would work a 10 hour day during the week then come home and take a PT, which required a great deal of focus. It got to where the PT's I took on the weekend were easy relative to what I did during the week.

vampy

Postby vampy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:20 am

Nothing. I got a 175 on my first PT =).

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:26 am

I posted this in an earlier thread, but since I saw a pretty large score increase, I thought it might be useful enough to repost.

Diagnostic: 160
Actual LSAT: 177

I studied for exactly two months. The first two weeks I went through a few chapters in each PowerScore Bible, but quickly realized my score would improve quicker if I just went through a whole lot of tests. I took nearly 30 in that span of time and went over my wrong answers and questions I got right but had doubts about. My PTs were always timed. I felt burnout coming on, so I only took a section or two each day the week before the actual LSAT. My main points of advice:

1) Set aside 1 or 2 hours every day to study. It doesn't have to be in one chunk but get those hours in. Some people can "cram" for the LSAT, but I think slow and steady works very well.
2) If you see you've reached a peak and are scoring lower than normal, back off for a few days. You're probably just tired of taking so many PTs.
3) Take your PTs timed...
4) ...and take many. You want to walk into your testing center feeling like you've done this a million times before...because you have. It's just another test, then. I immediately recognized the experimental on my actual LSAT because it did not have the rhythm I had become accustomed to for that section. That's how attuned you should try to be.

Hope it helps!

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:29 am

PoorOrpheus wrote:I posted this in an earlier thread, but since I saw a pretty large score increase, I thought it might be useful enough to repost.

Diagnostic: 160
Actual LSAT: 177

I studied for exactly two months. The first two weeks I went through a few chapters in each PowerScore Bible, but quickly realized my score would improve quicker if I just went through a whole lot of tests. I took nearly 30 in that span of time and went over my wrong answers and questions I got right but had doubts about. My PTs were always timed. I felt burnout coming on, so I only took a section or two each day the week before the actual LSAT. My main points of advice:

1) Set aside 1 or 2 hours every day to study. It doesn't have to be in one chunk but get those hours in. Some people can "cram" for the LSAT, but I think slow and steady works very well.
2) If you see you've reached a peak and are scoring lower than normal, back off for a few days. You're probably just tired of taking so many PTs.
3) Take your PTs timed...
4) ...and take many. You want to walk into your testing center feeling like you've done this a million times before...because you have. It's just another test, then. I immediately recognized the experimental on my actual LSAT because it did not have the rhythm I had become accustomed to for that section. That's how attuned you should try to be.

Hope it helps!

This absolutely helps.... great stuff.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:32 am

Stringer Bell wrote:I would work a 10 hour day during the week then come home and take a PT, which required a great deal of focus. It got to where the PT's I took on the weekend were easy relative to what I did during the week.

This is f'ing impressive.... great approach too.

bwana73

Postby bwana73 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

The best way to improve your score is to learn how to diagram the games. It doesn't really matter how you diagram them as long as you are consistent. Do a ton of practice tests.... and if you don't have enough time to take a full test each day, do a quarter of each section instead of one full section. It will keep your mind sharper on all parts of the test.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:56 am

Stringer Bell wrote:I mainly used powerscore LR and LG bibles, read constantly (The New Yorker, The Economist, and many legit books), and took 30+ PT's. I work a FT job and I think that actually helped. I would work a 10 hour day during the week then come home and take a PT, which required a great deal of focus. It got to where the PT's I took on the weekend were easy relative to what I did during the week.

I basically did this but took only about 12 PT's plus every games sections from 7-35 (grouped into type).

Studying after work was amazing for stamina and concentration.

I think I might have been able to improve my score with more PT's but my 176 is already past the point of deminishing returns based on my GPA.

If you are naturally intelligent, just take PT's. Studying strategy is for people who don't yet fully grasp the logic behind the questions. At a certain point it becomes about avoiding mistakes, and timing.

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:08 am

I did basically what everyone else here is saying, plus one more thing that I think really helped me. Starting ~2.5 weeks before the test, I started getting up early and taking a practice test at the time that I was going to have to be at the test center (people who have a job, this may not work for you). For me, that was 8:30am, which meant that I needed to get up around 7am to shower and get in my morning routine. That was really ridiculously early for me, as a college kid, but it helped. I saw lots of people at my test center that I knew had been studying hard, but they were still trying to finish their coffee and weren't really awake yet; my body, on the other hand, had adjusted to being up and focused on LSAT stuff that early.

That's about all I have to add!

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 am

Read Powerscore LR and LG Bibles, do as many practice tests as possible (starting with the oldest), and profit.

Aside from that, I'd advise you to handicap yourself in some way if possible. I forced myself to do 30 minute sections, and it did wonders for my timing and confidence going into the test. I also found that circling any question that you are somewhat unsure about and going back to it during review (even if you got it correct) made a big difference. Don't waste time reviewing ones you knew were correct, but don't just spend time on the ones you missed either.

faith2202

Postby faith2202 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:44 am

I feel like if you do 30+ PT, (in 3-8 weeks, depending on your schedule) with 20+ of those in real testing conditions (timed, score is checked after complete test, etc), 5+ of those with experimental (which are in some books, I used the Kaplan ones) you are bound to get a 170+. 174+ probably takes a bit more work (50 PTs) or natural inclination to getting the LSAT, or sometimes, just luck. I had a handful of 180s during PTs, but even if I was getting it more consistently, I wouldn't count on it. At that end, every extra one or two right or wrong can mean more than two points.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:00 am

faith2202 wrote:I feel like if you do 30+ PT, (in 3-8 weeks, depending on your schedule) with 20+ of those in real testing conditions (timed, score is checked after complete test, etc), 5+ of those with experimental (which are in some books, I used the Kaplan ones) you are bound to get a 170+. 174+ probably takes a bit more work (50 PTs) or natural inclination to getting the LSAT, or sometimes, just luck. I had a handful of 180s during PTs, but even if I was getting it more consistently, I wouldn't count on it. At that end, every extra one or two right or wrong can mean more than two points.

That is not reasonable. Most people are not smart enough to get a 170, no matter how much they study.

s419

Postby s419 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:36 am

I started studying in February of 2009 for the June test with a prep course. Around late March, I knew I would be unable to take the June test, but I finished out my prep course doing the bare minimum of practice tests and homework. Then, I took a break from studying for half of May and most of June, and started a second prep course in July. At this point, I really started my "serious" study schedule: class 8 hrs/week, 1-2 PTs/week (upped to about 4/week when I shifted from working full-time to part-time during September), and lots and lots of timed individual sections (at least 2/day). I also did every games section and problem that I could get my hands on. And I also recommend getting your body ready for the actual time that the test is at; for three weeks before the Sept test, I also got up at 7 AM every morning, ate breakfast and studied (although no actual PTs during that time although I can see that being beneficial -- this was just for building my body's ability to wake up that early). I also do attribute my 175 to a bit of luck as well -- I had been testing around 171-172 but I just found the September test to be much easier than most of the tests I had taken previously.

examplepdf

Postby examplepdf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:53 am

My two cents is that if you're scoring in the 160s on your diagnostic, you definitely don't need a prep course (unless you're terribly undisciplined and need someone to force you to make a study schedule). Just get the Logic Games Bible, the Kaplan 180 book, and a bunch of PTs, and a month out from the test make sure you're doing EVERYTHING timed--I would do a timed LG section on my lunchbreak at work, and then go home a do timed RC section or just work or a few LGs, but ALWAYS timed. (Like even if you're just working on one LG, set your timer for 8-9 minutes.)

Every Saturday for about two months out from the test I did a timed PT. Also, screw any prep materials that aren't from real past LSATs--waste of time, in my opinion.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:59 am

Hey all, where's the best place to pick up a boatload (30+) of previously administered LSAT's?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 pm

The three "10 Actuals" books that LSAC sells. Then get a handful (5-15) more recent tests, either from LSAC or from Amazon or wherever.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:44 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Hey all, where's the best place to pick up a boatload (30+) of previously administered LSAT's?

Amazon has a buy three get one free deal.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:11 pm

examplepdf wrote:My two cents is that if you're scoring in the 160s on your diagnostic, you definitely don't need a prep course (unless you're terribly undisciplined and need someone to force you to make a study schedule). Just get the Logic Games Bible, the Kaplan 180 book, and a bunch of PTs, and a month out from the test make sure you're doing EVERYTHING timed--I would do a timed LG section on my lunchbreak at work, and then go home a do timed RC section or just work or a few LGs, but ALWAYS timed. (Like even if you're just working on one LG, set your timer for 8-9 minutes.)

Every Saturday for about two months out from the test I did a timed PT. Also, screw any prep materials that aren't from real past LSATs--waste of time, in my opinion.

I wasted my money on buying fake LSAT problems too. It sucks. I'm going to put away the Princeton Review Logic Games Workout, along with everything else that I bought from REA, and so on. But how does the LSAT 180 fare against all the others?

How should it be used? After you've achieved top 10th percentile score or so? Just your personal opinion would be fine:D I haven't touched it yet, thinking that I might want to dive into it once I become more of a sophisticated LSAT taker.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”