Please Help SURVEY!!! (Work/Vacation/LSAT prep)

Which is better for using my 18-day vacation allowance from work?

1. Should I take a break from work once a week throughout a longer period?
50%
2. Or should I pack my break days by taking a break twice a week in a shorter time-span?
50%

Total votes: 2

EdmundBurke23

Please Help SURVEY!!! (Work/Vacation/LSAT prep)

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm preparing for the June 2010 LSAT (June 27, Asia), and have a full-time job which consists of fifty-five hours a week. I have twenty weeks remaining and I've already taken about 10 pts, ranging from 158-164 on the past five PTs. LGB & LRB already finished as well.

Here's the problem:
I've saved up a total of eighteen vacation days that I can use until July, so I plan on dispersing these days throughout these twenty weeks before the test. How should I use them?

Extra Information:
-As for now, I wake up at about 4:30-5:00 AM throughout the weekdays and study for about three hours before heading off to work.
-On weekends, if I don't end up working, I study about five hours each day.
-I take two PTs a week, while reviewing them and drilling in between. I plan to take three PTs a week once I finish up all of the tests before 2000.
-I'm torn between using one break day a week and piling up a total of five days to take a whole week off a week before the exam, or to wait and take two days off a week starting 9 weeks before the exam.

I posted a similar question a few days ago, but nobody responded. Will you all please help me on this? I'd be very, very thankful:D
Last edited by EdmundBurke23 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

EdmundBurke23

Re: Please Help!!! (Work/Vacation/LSAT prep)

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Just tell me this guys:

1. Should I take a break from work once a week throughout a longer period?
2. Or should I pack my break days by taking a break twice a week in a shorter time-span?

SOCRATiC

Re: Please Help SURVEY!!! (Work/Vacation/LSAT prep)

Postby SOCRATiC » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 pm

You're already studying a lot right now, so compress your vacations into twice a week in a shorter time span.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:29 am

I was in virtually the identical situation with regard to work--a full-time job (40 hrs/week) and a part-time job (about 15 hours per week).

For me, I did not feel that taking any vacation time to study would be particularly helpful. Spending whole days or chunks of time studying wasn't really particularly productive.

I found that the key was making use of small blocks of time throughout the day. For example, until the final month, I only did tests in individual sections during my commute. Every morning and every afternoon, I did a section on the way to/from work. I also used my lunch break periodically to study. During the final 2-3 weeks, I did do full-length preptests each evening (from about 6:30-10:00 PM).

If I were in your spot, I'd save your vacation days for a vacation after the LSAT--but that's just me.

I think that this system worked well for me--though I won't know for about 3 weeks ;-)

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:30 am

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I was in virtually the identical situation with regard to work--a full-time job (40 hrs/week) and a part-time job (about 15 hours per week).

For me, I did not feel that taking any vacation time to study would be particularly helpful. Spending whole days or chunks of time studying wasn't really particularly productive.

I found that the key was making use of small blocks of time throughout the day. For example, until the final month, I only did tests in individual sections during my commute. Every morning and every afternoon, I did a section on the way to/from work. I also used my lunch break periodically to study. During the final 2-3 weeks, I did do full-length preptests each evening (from about 6:30-10:00 PM).

If I were in your spot, I'd save your vacation days for a vacation after the LSAT--but that's just me.

I think that this system worked well for me--though I won't know for about 3 weeks ;-)

One other thought... I would not recommend taking vacation time during the final week. I thought about taking the Friday off, but keeping the regular work routine helped me both in terms of not stressing over the test and in terms of keeping a good sleep pattern.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”