Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Rate The Difficulty In Comparison To Past Tests

Very Difficult
18
15%
Moderately Difficult
48
39%
Average
35
28%
Easy
10
8%
Very Easy
12
10%
 
Total votes: 123

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby slider » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:09 pm

GoldenBear125 wrote:
whitman wrote:Moderately difficult. LG's harder than normal, everything else average.


ditto


+10 !

too old for this sh*
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby too old for this sh* » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Allow me to preface that I took it during 2000 and 2001 when I was still 'considering' whether I wanted to go to law school (and in a period of time where I had to be away from employment with a large State agency for a decade in order to be eligible to represent anyone before that agency). I'm now with a firm that is actively pushing me for law school and so I tested last June...I also have the luxury of just needing a JD from SOMEWHERE, pedigree does not matter as I have 20+ years of employment in my field (and in the area in which I would be practicing).

Of the three prior attempts to test, one followed the flu, one followed the dissolution of a five-plus year relationship and then last year I had a major water leak at the house the weekend prior to a Monday administration...and then was in the office the morning OF the test (clients still pay the bills).

In 2000 and 2001, I took non-disclosed tests and scored reasonably well. I completely bombed in June, with LG having been the first section. I should have cancelled and walked out after that section, but stuck it out anyhow. I actually did well in the other sections missing only a few questions in each of them.

In this weekend's administration, I felt that the LR and RC were easier than in June and even the LG did not seem overly difficult. I didn't stick the figurative landing but at least I did not feel as though I gave away an entire section.

Viewed in that context, I actually place this as the easiest of the four times I have taken the test.

User avatar
monkeyboy
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby monkeyboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 pm

too old for this sh* wrote:Allow me to preface that I took it during 2000 and 2001 when I was still 'considering' whether I wanted to go to law school (and in a period of time where I had to be away from employment with a large State agency for a decade in order to be eligible to represent anyone before that agency). I'm now with a firm that is actively pushing me for law school and so I tested last June...I also have the luxury of just needing a JD from SOMEWHERE, pedigree does not matter as I have 20+ years of employment in my field (and in the area in which I would be practicing).

Of the three prior attempts to test, one followed the flu, one followed the dissolution of a five-plus year relationship and then last year I had a major water leak at the house the weekend prior to a Monday administration...and then was in the office the morning OF the test (clients still pay the bills).

In 2000 and 2001, I took non-disclosed tests and scored reasonably well. I completely bombed in June, with LG having been the first section. I should have cancelled and walked out after that section, but stuck it out anyhow. I actually did well in the other sections missing only a few questions in each of them.

In this weekend's administration, I felt that the LR and RC were easier than in June and even the LG did not seem overly difficult. I didn't stick the figurative landing but at least I did not feel as though I gave away an entire section.

Viewed in that context, I actually place this as the easiest of the four times I have taken the test.


Did you take it today or on Saturday?

cookie4me
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby cookie4me » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:34 pm

I think the LG section was harder than the June 2009 administration. Definitely used more proverbial "D's" this time. Seriously considering canceling before the deadline as I guessed on at least 5 questions for each of the LR and RC sections.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby existenz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:03 am

For those who keep saying that the games weren't difficult, they were just "time-consuming", I think that's the whole point!

It's a timed test, therefore "time-consuming" games are by nature harder to finish within the alloted time. If I had 40 minutes instead of 35 I could have scored a 100%. Or if they had given us at least one gimme game that only takes 4-5 minutes, the other three would have been manageable.

That said, nerves were a much bigger problem for me in games than in any other section. If I could do those games at home right now I'd probably ace them in 35 minutes. It's a lot harder in the testing room, especially when you are quickly trying to see an inference that you are missing.

too old for this sh*
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby too old for this sh* » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:47 am

monkeyboy wrote:
too old for this sh* wrote:Allow me to preface that I took it during 2000 and 2001 when I was still 'considering' whether I wanted to go to law school (and in a period of time where I had to be away from employment with a large State agency for a decade in order to be eligible to represent anyone before that agency). I'm now with a firm that is actively pushing me for law school and so I tested last June...I also have the luxury of just needing a JD from SOMEWHERE, pedigree does not matter as I have 20+ years of employment in my field (and in the area in which I would be practicing).

Of the three prior attempts to test, one followed the flu, one followed the dissolution of a five-plus year relationship and then last year I had a major water leak at the house the weekend prior to a Monday administration...and then was in the office the morning OF the test (clients still pay the bills).

In 2000 and 2001, I took non-disclosed tests and scored reasonably well. I completely bombed in June, with LG having been the first section. I should have cancelled and walked out after that section, but stuck it out anyhow. I actually did well in the other sections missing only a few questions in each of them.

In this weekend's administration, I felt that the LR and RC were easier than in June and even the LG did not seem overly difficult. I didn't stick the figurative landing but at least I did not feel as though I gave away an entire section.

Viewed in that context, I actually place this as the easiest of the four times I have taken the test.


Did you take it today or on Saturday?


I took the test on Saturday.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby Pricer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:31 pm

existenz wrote:For those who keep saying that the games weren't difficult, they were just "time-consuming", I think that's the whole point!

It's a timed test, therefore "time-consuming" games are by nature harder to finish within the alloted time. If I had 40 minutes instead of 35 I could have scored a 100%. Or if they had given us at least one gimme game that only takes 4-5 minutes, the other three would have been manageable.

That said, nerves were a much bigger problem for me in games than in any other section. If I could do those games at home right now I'd probably ace them in 35 minutes. It's a lot harder in the testing room, especially when you are quickly trying to see an inference that you are missing.


I got to thinking back. Only three of the games were actually even time consuming. I remember one game that took five minutes to do the set-up and answer all the questions. Obviously I can't describe the game, but it was the second or third one. I know it wasn't first or last, but I can't remember if it was second or third.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby tomwatts » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:54 pm

I came out of the test feeling that it was pretty typical. After the uptick in difficulty around 57, I think we returned back to normal in February. The thing I kept noticing was how fast I was going; we talk about doing the first 15 in 15 minutes, but the first 15 in 10 minutes? I don't know if that's just nearly four years' experience teaching the test talking here, or what that is, but my impression on walking out was that the challenges presented on this test were pretty much the same sorts of challenges as those presented on any other LSAT.

One thing that I underestimated, though, was how much familiarity with recent tests would help. Knowing 57 and 58 well helped me a lot on test day, and I imagine 59 would've been useful as well (though I haven't worked through it yet). 57 was hard partly because it was the first set of games to have the wackiness that we've seen in the past year (In/Out games in abundance, typically bizarre ones; "find an equivalent rule" question type; questions with "if" referring to the answer choices, e.g. in 58's games Q3 and Q5 — not that these things are unprecedented, but their frequency in recent tests is unusual). By now, though, we should be used to all of this, and I think that influences my impression.

Another thing I underestimated until I got back to this forum was how much the experience of test day affects people's impressions. People who think that February's games were harder than 57's and 58's games had to have been influenced by the stress of test day more than the actual difficulty of the games. It reminds me that I have a few students in each class that I teach who come to me and say that they're scoring 10 points higher at home on 4-section PTs than they are when they take 5-section tests with the class. I think the simple act of getting up early and leaving home to be timed in a test by someone else is enough to simulate the stress of test day for them (which probably means that if they can get past that hurdle, they can do well on test day).

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I lost 3 or 4 points off my typical PT when I took the test in December '07.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby Pricer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:03 pm

I barely marked my last LG and RC answers in time, but LR did go by fast for me, as well. The first LR section (which I am confident was my experimental) took me less than 25 minutes to answer the 25 questions. I finished the other two LR sections with a couple of minutes left, but I literally had ten minutes left after the first.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Obviously I took a different test from everyone else on this forum.
I thought the test was really easy RC, LG (one questions was a little confusing but not bad), The first LR super easy........
and then (please tell me if any one had the same experience) numbers 16-20 on the second LR were horrible. I dont know if it was fatigue because it was my last section but i swear 16-20 were ridiculous. I'm ready to say i didnt miss a single test question except 16-20. (maybe one of them was easy but as a whole this area really tripped me up, i skipped, did 20-25 came back and was still confused.) Not sure if they were just verbose, if the defy logic, or if something landed on my glasses and i mistook a couple of the letters making the passage incomprehensible.

User avatar
dibs
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby dibs » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:23 pm

LG-LR-RC-LR-RC

the LG section threw me for a loop and set the tone for the rest of the test. regardless of how confident i feel about the RC and LR sections, i still came out feeling terrible.

first writing, so i don't really have a comprable experience with which to develop a baseline. i don't trust my PT scores; i did most of them while sitting at my desk at work. timed? yes. interupted by phone calls and blackberry? also yes.

ending the exam with a second RC is cruel.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 pm

I felt like everything was harder. Not impossible, but tough. I am hoping that LR and RC felt this way because I didn't do any of my usual 2 or 3 careless mistakes, and really thought through every single trap. But that is probably me rationalizing. But I took December as a PT last week and it felt incredibly easy (and my score reflected the same.) So honestly, what do I know.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby nStiver » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:42 pm

dynomite wrote:
nStiver wrote:I would have said easy, but the LG section was a fucking time sucker. Then again, I don't really know if it was easy or difficult until I see how many questions I actually got rights. Sometimes you drop a "phantom bomb" and think you did really well only to find out you blew it.


Unfortunately, you'll never know -- all you're going to see is your score and percentile for the Feb test.

It's possible that they'll release this test at a future date (a few years, right?) but until then I think you're going to have to live without knowing.


Really? That really sucks. I guess it does make sense though, with the test not being "released" and all. I just assumed I would get a nice, detailed printout with all of my mistakes etc like I received after the November test. Ugg.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby jks289 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:46 pm

nStiver wrote:
dynomite wrote:
nStiver wrote:I would have said easy, but the LG section was a fucking time sucker. Then again, I don't really know if it was easy or difficult until I see how many questions I actually got rights. Sometimes you drop a "phantom bomb" and think you did really well only to find out you blew it.


Unfortunately, you'll never know -- all you're going to see is your score and percentile for the Feb test.

It's possible that they'll release this test at a future date (a few years, right?) but until then I think you're going to have to live without knowing.


Really? That really sucks. I guess it does make sense though, with the test not being "released" and all. I just assumed I would get a nice, detailed printout with all of my mistakes etc like I received after the November test. Ugg.


I have asked this before, but can someone please give me the rationale for not giving us the curve and raw score breakdown. I understand keeping the questions and answers undisclosed, but what could letting us know the curve and raw score possibly hurt?

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby nStiver » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:47 pm

existenz wrote:For those who keep saying that the games weren't difficult, they were just "time-consuming", I think that's the whole point!

It's a timed test, therefore "time-consuming" games are by nature harder to finish within the alloted time. If I had 40 minutes instead of 35 I could have scored a 100%. Or if they had given us at least one gimme game that only takes 4-5 minutes, the other three would have been manageable.

That said, nerves were a much bigger problem for me in games than in any other section. If I could do those games at home right now I'd probably ace them in 35 minutes. It's a lot harder in the testing room, especially when you are quickly trying to see an inference that you are missing.


That is a good point. Time consuming=difficult. I also felt nervous on the logic games section because it was the first one, after that my nerves turned to joy when I saw how easy the "reading comp" passage was, which turned out to be the experimental. I kept hoping another LG section would pop up, but to no avail.

februaryftw
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby februaryftw » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 pm

tomwatts wrote:I came out of the test feeling that it was pretty typical. After the uptick in difficulty around 57, I think we returned back to normal in February. The thing I kept noticing was how fast I was going; we talk about doing the first 15 in 15 minutes, but the first 15 in 10 minutes? I don't know if that's just nearly four years' experience teaching the test talking here, or what that is, but my impression on walking out was that the challenges presented on this test were pretty much the same sorts of challenges as those presented on any other LSAT.

One thing that I underestimated, though, was how much familiarity with recent tests would help. Knowing 57 and 58 well helped me a lot on test day, and I imagine 59 would've been useful as well (though I haven't worked through it yet). 57 was hard partly because it was the first set of games to have the wackiness that we've seen in the past year (In/Out games in abundance, typically bizarre ones; "find an equivalent rule" question type; questions with "if" referring to the answer choices, e.g. in 58's games Q3 and Q5 — not that these things are unprecedented, but their frequency in recent tests is unusual). By now, though, we should be used to all of this, and I think that influences my impression.

Another thing I underestimated until I got back to this forum was how much the experience of test day affects people's impressions. People who think that February's games were harder than 57's and 58's games had to have been influenced by the stress of test day more than the actual difficulty of the games. It reminds me that I have a few students in each class that I teach who come to me and say that they're scoring 10 points higher at home on 4-section PTs than they are when they take 5-section tests with the class. I think the simple act of getting up early and leaving home to be timed in a test by someone else is enough to simulate the stress of test day for them (which probably means that if they can get past that hurdle, they can do well on test day).

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I lost 3 or 4 points off my typical PT when I took the test in December '07.


This was my impression as well. I definitely had the same experience of flying through the LR sections. I finished the 15 questions in both sections in well under 15 minutes (12-13 probably, but I didn't bother checking time). I'm not sure if it was simply the additional adrenalin and extra focus, but I finished the full sections with a ton of extra time, and no single question really bothered me. I am a little worried because I think the curve might be tighter than people are expecting. For 59, I was able to figure out bears and wigs, but I did have to reason through them quite a bit, and could see how a lot of people could miss or dwell too long on those questions; I can't think of a question of similar difficulty on this LR ("ships" and "bridges" both struck me as medium difficulty tops, and they seem to have garnered the most discussion on this board).

The games were "hard" only to the extent the recent games were hard. I didn't struggle with dinos so it is hard for me to say, but I certainly don't think the games were harder than the last 3 tests. They weren't, however, the easy games of the 40s - you did have to work a little to see the inferences, and time could be an issue if you didn't get them quick. But they also weren't the games of the early to mid 30s, or superprep B. And, as you say, they followed the pattern of the last few games, such as the substitute rule in the first game, the in/out, etc. I finished early (3-5 minutes to spare, which is about average--10 minutes to spare on the 40s games) on this section as well.

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby nStiver » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:51 pm

jks289 wrote:
nStiver wrote:
dynomite wrote:
nStiver wrote:I would have said easy, but the LG section was a fucking time sucker. Then again, I don't really know if it was easy or difficult until I see how many questions I actually got rights. Sometimes you drop a "phantom bomb" and think you did really well only to find out you blew it.


Unfortunately, you'll never know -- all you're going to see is your score and percentile for the Feb test.

It's possible that they'll release this test at a future date (a few years, right?) but until then I think you're going to have to live without knowing.


Really? That really sucks. I guess it does make sense though, with the test not being "released" and all. I just assumed I would get a nice, detailed printout with all of my mistakes etc like I received after the November test. Ugg.


I have asked this before, but can someone please give me the rationale for not giving us the curve and raw score breakdown. I understand keeping the questions and answers undisclosed, but what could letting us know the curve and raw score possibly hurt?


LSAC doesn't give a shit about us man, all they care about is $$$.

Also, your average joe doesn't care about anything except for his score anyway. Most people don't plan on re-taking if they don't make their target. They maybe study for a day or two, take the test, and are glad to be done with it. Just another hoop to jump through. Hell, the average LSAT taker wouldn't know what to make of a raw score and a breakdown of questions missed anyway.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby Pricer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:04 pm

nStiver wrote:
Also, your average joe doesn't care about anything except for his score anyway. Most people don't plan on re-taking if they don't make their target. They maybe study for a day or two, take the test, and are glad to be done with it. Just another hoop to jump through. Hell, the average LSAT taker wouldn't know what to make of a raw score and a breakdown of questions missed anyway.


Agreed. The concern of the members here is by no way representative of the entire group who took the LSAT. The average score on the LSAT is 150, correct? I would guess the average score of the members here is 165-170, and higher among the regulars.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby existenz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Pricer wrote:I got to thinking back. Only three of the games were actually even time consuming. I remember one game that took five minutes to do the set-up and answer all the questions. Obviously I can't describe the game, but it was the second or third one. I know it wasn't first or last, but I can't remember if it was second or third.

The juicers/mixers game (3rd game) went by pretty fast for me, probably 6 minutes. First game took me 10 minutes, second game 9 minutes, fourth game 10 minutes and the clock ran out before I could get the final question.

Most of my griping has to do with the trails game. Considering how many people didn't have too much trouble with it, I think I must have either missed an inference or didn't write down some useful contrapositives. I simply guessed B on questions 9 and 11. Usually I'm pretty good at in-out games, but not this time. Hopefully I nailed all the questions I did answer.

Like many other people here, time was not an issue in LR or RC. Finished each LR with minutes to spare, especially the first one (which I figure was experimental).

twintipping_bumps
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:14 am

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby twintipping_bumps » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:11 pm

I got the inference people suggest was key to the 3rd game rather quickly, yet I was still lost on that game. I think I may be a case where too much prep hurt me. Not figuring out a whole game really freaked me out, whereas on the SAT I was totally oblivious, even about timing. There I just went through the test. Here, I let one aspect have an effect on the entire test.

User avatar
raperez129
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Poll: How Difficult Was The Feb 6, 2010 LSAT? Rate It.

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:30 pm

GoldenBear125 wrote:
whitman wrote:Moderately difficult. LG's harder than normal, everything else average.


ditto


ditto. I didn't get to the Fem RC, and I usually do all four, but it may have just been nerves. I think my brain was fried by then.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Alexandros, Instrumental, jagerbom79, potatocowpower, proteinshake and 8 guests