Anybody Else Feel Like They Blew It? Just Missed The Shot?

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 am

I slept about 3 hours last night. Couldn't zonk out as I was nervous with anticipation. I only needed one point to get over the hump. 164 is the number to hit for Georgia, Indiana, probably Iowa, George Mason, Wake Forest, and probably Wisco. I scored a 163 in December after bombing games like I never had on any practice test leading up to the real deal. Today I probably bombed RC like I never have but I navigated games fairly easily. I had RC late in the test and I was just out of gas. Couldn't focus.

I hate to sound like a whiner, but it sucks that my lack of sleep due to anxiety and anticipation probably screwed me. Anybody else have the same type of experience?

Again, I hate to be a belly acher, but seriously, most people I know don't understand what that one point means. Not that they should be expected to know or care about the one point, but so many people think that going to a law school is all that matters. For some reason, people think that wanting to go to a top school just means that you are trying to show off. People I know have this George Babbitt mentality, believing that the average local school is great and that anything else is too much.

I may have made my goal, but I feel like it didn't happen.

Again, not trying to be a debbie downer, but it kind of sucks to work hard and fall just short.

SummerBrees

Re: Anybody Else Feel Like They Blew It? Just Missed The Shot?

Postby SummerBrees » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:35 am

I didn't feel like I blew it on test, but two days b4 I was running through the sept 09 test and bombed it. I'm talking I went from a solid and consistent 162 to a 143! It was like everything a learned just went out the door. I felt as if Law school was everything and the 6 months I spent studying for it was pointless...I managed to find some perspective though. I realized that even if I don't get into the school of my dreams, I am still going to Law school. If I have to work my ass of my first year and transfer into my dream school so be it! I realized that the LSAT is a damn test, not a measure of my full potential to suceed. But most importantly I realized that "it is what it is"

You may want to get into a top law school, but you may not be capable of doing it. If you can't handle the pressure of the LSAT why would you think you could handle the pressure of attending a top law school? If you think I am wrong, well then prove it. Relax, trust your instincts, know that you are an intelligent, hardworking, and capable individual...and kick the LSAT's ASS!!!!

by the way...my story might change after I get my feb results back! i could end up on suicide watch :?

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:39 am

I was in your spot in Sept. I hit 164 in Dec. You'll be fine.

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:55 am

I thought I bombed it when i took it too. seriously considered canceling my score too. Good thing i didn't b/c I ended up scoring higher than I ever did on any practice tests...!

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:39 am

SummerBrees wrote:I didn't feel like I blew it on test, but two days b4 I was running through the sept 09 test and bombed it. I'm talking I went from a solid and consistent 162 to a 143! It was like everything a learned just went out the door. I felt as if Law school was everything and the 6 months I spent studying for it was pointless...I managed to find some perspective though. I realized that even if I don't get into the school of my dreams, I am still going to Law school. If I have to work my ass of my first year and transfer into my dream school so be it! I realized that the LSAT is a damn test, not a measure of my full potential to suceed. But most importantly I realized that "it is what it is"

You may want to get into a top law school, but you may not be capable of doing it. If you can't handle the pressure of the LSAT why would you think you could handle the pressure of attending a top law school? If you think I am wrong, well then prove it. Relax, trust your instincts, know that you are an intelligent, hardworking, and capable individual...and kick the LSAT's ASS!!!!

by the way...my story might change after I get my feb results back! i could end up on suicide watch :?

Yeah, you're right. I still have my 163 from December. I posted this Saturday, the day of the test. I was a bit down. Perspective is key. Probably not such a big deal. Yeah, I have schools outside of the top 30 in mind. I'm cool wit' it.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19 am

It's a shame that one point makes such a difference. I just took it for the first time, and I need a 164 for Georgia, same as you. I thought it was in the bag, as my PTs (timed, no breaks) were significantly higher (up to 176). After the test last weekend, I didn't feel so hot anymore. I am guessing my score as a 163, which sucks. I hope I am underestimating it.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:55 am

Pricer wrote:It's a shame that one point makes such a difference. I just took it for the first time, and I need a 164 for Georgia, same as you. I thought it was in the bag, as my PTs (timed, no breaks) were significantly higher (up to 176). After the test last weekend, I didn't feel so hot anymore. I am guessing my score as a 163, which sucks. I hope I am underestimating it.

Yeah, it looks like 164 is the cut off this year at so many schools, judging by LSN graphs.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:56 am

story of my life...

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 pm

I feel this way, but for two points. I just need to get over the 170 hump. I know this test inside and out, but I feel like I ate it on games, and that threw me off for the rest of the test. I'm keeping the score, and hoping/praying for a nice surprise, but deep down I am dreading the release date.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:09 pm

jks289 wrote:I feel this way, but for two points. I just need to get over the 170 hump. I know this test inside and out, but I feel like I ate it on games, and that threw me off for the rest of the test. I'm keeping the score, and hoping/praying for a nice surprise, but deep down I am dreading the release date.

Do you think a decline in score could hurt somebody? I've heard that schools take the highest score for a variety of reasons, but I wonder if a lower score following the higher score can hurt somebody's chances. I would think that schools would assume anybody can have a bad day, and that it's not out of the question that a capable person could score relatively poorly after doing well.

Good luck, jks289. I think anybody who can score a 168 can score a 170+ on any given day. Being at 168 or 169 would be about the most frustrating thing in terms of the LSAT I can think of. Wow. I hope you got it.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:35 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
jks289 wrote:I feel this way, but for two points. I just need to get over the 170 hump. I know this test inside and out, but I feel like I ate it on games, and that threw me off for the rest of the test. I'm keeping the score, and hoping/praying for a nice surprise, but deep down I am dreading the release date.

Do you think a decline in score could hurt somebody? I've heard that schools take the highest score for a variety of reasons, but I wonder if a lower score following the higher score can hurt somebody's chances. I would think that schools would assume anybody can have a bad day, and that it's not out of the question that a capable person could score poorly after doing well.

Honestly, I don't know. I suppose yes, in some vague psychological way an adcom could think "Hmm, maybe the lower scores means they got lucky the first time." But I think any effect is small enough, to not really matter. This was my third test, and I am hoping the curve will be generous (not that we will ever know). I think the chances of doing the same or better balance the minor risk of a lower score. But I don't think I bombed the test, just that I didn't do my best, which is what I needed. I think if there is any chance you did well, keep the score.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:08 pm

monkeyboy wrote:

Do you think a decline in score could hurt somebody? I've heard that schools take the highest score for a variety of reasons, but I wonder if a lower score following the higher score can hurt somebody's chances. I would think that schools would assume anybody can have a bad day, and that it's not out of the question that a capable person could score relatively poorly after doing well.

Good luck, jks289. I think anybody who can score a 168 can score a 170+ on any given day. Being at 168 or 169 would be about the most frustrating thing in terms of the LSAT I can think of. Wow. I hope you got it.

I would be quite happy with a 168/169 :).

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:56 pm

keg411 wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

I would be quite happy with a 168/169 :).

As would I, but I get the impression that jks289 has worked hard and is probably PTing in the 170s, so a 168 would be just a bit short of her expectations.

True, 168 is still a great score, and definitely nothing to sneeze at. I'm certainly not sneezing at it with my 163. I would run out of my house and hug everybody in my neighborhood if I scored a 168. Then, I'd probably be committed, but I'd always have the 168.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
Pricer wrote:It's a shame that one point makes such a difference. I just took it for the first time, and I need a 164 for Georgia, same as you. I thought it was in the bag, as my PTs (timed, no breaks) were significantly higher (up to 176). After the test last weekend, I didn't feel so hot anymore. I am guessing my score as a 163, which sucks. I hope I am underestimating it.

Yeah, it looks like 164 is the cut off this year at so many schools, judging by LSN graphs.

Omg THIS. Makes me really bitter about my 163.. seriously one point?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

monkeyboy wrote:As would I, but I get the impression that jks289 has worked hard and is probably PTing in the 170s, so a 168 would be just a bit short of her expectations.

True, 168 is still a great score, and definitely nothing to sneeze at. I'm certainly not sneezing at it with my 163. I would run out of my house and hug everybody in my neighborhood if I scored a 168. Then, I'd probably be committed, but I'd always have the 168.

Nah, I get it :).
jks289, I really do hope you hit the 170's. I don't think a slightly shaky LG section will sink you if you nailed everything else.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:

Omg THIS. Makes me really bitter about my 163.. seriously one point?

Holla, fellow 163er! I feel your pain.

Yeah, I think the 163 scorers this year are going to be cursing this recession loudly for driving up the number of applicants. Haven't you heard? 164-165 is the new 163. A few years ago a 163 would have been as good as in at at least three or four top 40 schools. Now? It could be rough. Hopefully we all get off of the waitlist and attend our schools of choice (within reason of course, as we 163ers are a realistic bunch) in the fall. Good luck, fellow 163er. Godspeed to you.
Last edited by monkeyboy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm

if it's any consolation, i scored 161 in june, then 164 in september

generally, you test higher second time around

also, if you look at LSN, GPA can also admit you if you're lacking a point or two

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:22 pm

sufjan wrote:
also, if you look at LSN, GPA can also admit you if you're lacking a point or two

I disagree. The LSAT score seems to make a much bigger difference in the schools I am looking at. For UGA, there is an obvious cutoff at 164. I guess there are three people with 3.7+ and 163 that were admitted, but 164 seems to be a major line.

http://georgia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Pricer wrote:
sufjan wrote:

I disagree. The LSAT score seems to make a much bigger difference in the schools I am looking at. For UGA, there is an obvious cutoff at 164. I guess there are three people with 3.7+ and 163 that were admitted, but 164 seems to be a major line.

Yeah, dude. 164 is the cut off for 30-40 schools in the same way 169-170 can be a cutoff for T14.

Seriously, so many of these schools are drawing a definite line at 164. Luckily, dynamic individuals like Pricer and myself are sure to get in off of the wait list as we bring more to the table.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
Pricer wrote:
sufjan wrote:

Yeah, dude. 164 is the cut off for 30-40 schools in the same way 169-170 can be a cutoff for T14.

Seriously, so many of these schools are drawing a definite line at 164. Luckily, dynamic individuals like Pricer and myself are sure to get in off of the wait list as we bring more to the table.

haha not quite. I didn't do anything special in undergrad. I MAY have a little bit of help at UGA, but nowhere else. I did my undergrad at UGA (BBA December '09 magna cum laude) and my LoRs are good. One is a professor who got his Ph.D. in Finance (my major) at UGA, one is a state representative who did his undergrad at UGA, and one is a lawyer I worked for in high school who did his undergrad and JD at UGA. Hopefully, even if I did blow the LSAT, I will be one of those miraculous few who get into UGA with 163. Everywhere else will laugh at a white male with a 3.7 GPA.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Pricer wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
Pricer wrote:
sufjan wrote:

haha not quite. I didn't do anything special in undergrad. I MAY have a little bit of help at UGA, but nowhere else. I did my undergrad at UGA (BBA December '09 magna cum laude) and my LoRs are good. One is a professor who got his Ph.D. in Finance (my major) at UGA, one is a state representative who did his undergrad at UGA, and one is a lawyer I worked for in high school who did his undergrad and JD at UGA. Hopefully, even if I did blow the LSAT, I will be one of those miraculous few who get into UGA with 163. Everywhere else will laugh at a white male with a 3.7 GPA.

Well, you may want to apply to Arizona if you can take the heat. I really like 'Zona at this point. Good ranking, premier school in AZ, and so many other pluses. Probably places in the CA market, though I haven't looked into it. I have no idea how AZ would place in GA. Probably not well.

Dude, also, did you apply to Florida? I'd say you have a great shot there with that GPA. A 163 would not put you below the line there.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:45 pm

I went to UGA for 3 1/2 years. There is no way I would go to Florida for law school. I also wouldn't do Arizona, simply because it's pretty equal to UGA, but would require me moving and paying out of state tuition. I'm going to UGA, Emory, or any school in the top 14. It depends on which ones I get into. Unless I retake, I think UGA is my only option.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Pricer wrote:I went to UGA for 3 1/2 years. There is no way I would go to Florida for law school. I also wouldn't do Arizona, simply because it's pretty equal to UGA, but would require me moving and paying out of state tuition. I'm going to UGA, Emory, or any school in the top 14. It depends on which ones I get into. Unless I retake, I think UGA is my only option.

Gotcha. I'm sure you'll get in. Your GPA is strong, and even if you are waitlisted, you'll probably jump in off of the waitlist. Hopefully you busted 164+ and you don't have to worry about the waitlist.

So, I've heard that Athens is one of the ultimate college towns, rivaling Austin and Madison. Is it really that cool? I don't doubt it.
Last edited by monkeyboy on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:50 pm

The "a point or two really does matter in admissions" thing especially sucks because LSAC says that the LSAT has a measurement error of about 3 points. That is, your score upon repeated testing will most of the time waver around a mean but many of your individual scores will vary up or down by 3 points — meaning that if you'd normally get a 165 on an average LSAT but see a test that happens to be hard for you (for whatever reason), you might get as low as a 162 or if you see a test that's easy for you (for whatever reason) you might get as high as 168. So if you actually score a 165, your score band is 162-168, and anyone within that score band is supposed to be comparable to you.

This is not at all how law schools look at the scores, though.

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:54 pm

tomwatts wrote:The "a point or two really does matter in admissions" thing especially sucks because LSAC says that the LSAT has a measurement error of about 3 points. That is, your score upon repeated testing will most of the time waver around a mean but many of your individual scores will vary up or down by 3 points — meaning that if you'd normally get a 165 on an average LSAT but see a test that happens to be hard for you (for whatever reason), you might get as low as a 162 or if you see a test that's easy for you (for whatever reason) you might get as high as 168. So if you actually score a 165, your score band is 162-168, and anyone within that score band is supposed to be comparable to you.

This is not at all how law schools look at the scores, though.

Yeah. Here is a question for you since you are an instructor and probably know a lot about how the LSAT is used. If my score dropped, will it hurt me? I've been told no, simply because schools know that you can have a bad day and because it behooves them to consider and use the highest score due to how the rankings are figured. I've been told that even a significant drop will be regarded as a really bad day and that the higher score will still stand rather unblemished in the eyes of admission committees.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”