Let's hear some feedback on the REAL RC that counted.

YCrevolution

Re: Let's hear some feedback on the REAL RC that counted.

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 pm

I suggest you let this one go. LSAC has this stick up its ass about people discussing specific aspects of their tests on open forums.

If you're looking for a general answer.... I'd say it was close to the difficulty of PT 59 overall.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 pm

You have the third and fourth passages reversed. The third was about videotaped testimony in court.

My general feeling was that it was another RC section. Not too different from what we've seen in the recent past.

tj1320

Postby tj1320 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Yup, that is the real RC section.

bakemono

Postby bakemono » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:23 am

i actually felt that it was something of a shift back to the more "simple" answer choices of the pre-PT 50 LSAT's. It was during the 50's that the answer choices became more difficult; it was more difficult to differentiate between the correctness of one or the other. The RC in this test while not easy was relatively straightforward, or so i thought... well... maybe except the African languages passage.

Camron

Postby Camron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:30 am

I am hoping it was the first one, as I did horrible on this one. But in terms of what I was prepping with, this one does seem like the real deal.

I had to skim the last one (Nigerian thing), and of course all the wording threw me off in it (i.e. specific tribe names, etc.).

Edit:

Some girl got caught cheating at my LSAT in this RC section and it just threw me off. She started crying and I just wanted to stop reading this boring passage and see what was going on.

suthernbelle453

Postby suthernbelle453 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:34 am

Camron wrote:I am hoping it was the first one, as I did horrible on this one. But in terms of what I was prepping with, this one does seem like the real deal.

I had to skim the last one (Nigerian thing), and of course all the wording threw me off in it (i.e. specific tribe names, etc.).

Edit:

Some girl got caught cheating at my LSAT in this RC section and it just threw me off. She started crying and I just wanted to stop reading this boring passage and see what was going on.

Holy hell! How do you cheat on the LSAT?! No, I'm being dead serious, everyone has different tests around you. That's crazy! I'm sorry that happened to you, but that girl is screwed!

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:55 am

I could've sworn the West African hieroglyphics passage was the most straightforward (and most interesting) on the test. I did get there with plenty of time remaining, and I had warmed up on, well, the entire rest of the test by that point (was the last section for me), but still.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:14 am

Camron wrote:I am hoping it was the first one, as I did horrible on this one. But in terms of what I was prepping with, this one does seem like the real deal.

Edit:

What did she do? Was she doing the RC when she should have been doing another section, or was she looking at somebody else's answers or what?

Very curious. Truly an FML day for her.

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:07 pm

RC on this test was definitely easier than it has been of late. (Both the experimental and real ones felt easier, in part because I found the passages enjoyable to read)

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robchuckbob

Postby robchuckbob » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:44 pm

I thought the RC was easier than my PTs. I had time to check answers, when I usually run out of time.

MY FILES!

Postby MY FILES! » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:48 pm

That Isamu Noguchi passage was killer.

evergirl23

Postby evergirl23 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:35 pm

dynomite wrote:RC on this test was definitely easier than it has been of late. (Both the experimental and real ones felt easier, in part because I found the passages enjoyable to read)

I agree with this. I had RC as my first section and it was so ridiculously easy that I knew it had to be experimental. And yes, I got the real RC as section 4, and while not as easy as the first, thought it was pretty straightforward. BUT, I also thought the passages were pretty interesting, especially in comparison to other recent tests.

And +1 on cheating details.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:43 pm

evergirl23 wrote:
dynomite wrote:RC on this test was definitely easier than it has been of late. (Both the experimental and real ones felt easier, in part because I found the passages enjoyable to read)

I agree with this. I had RC as my first section and it was so ridiculously easy that I knew it had to be experimental. And yes, I got the real RC as section 4, and while not as easy as the first, thought it was pretty straightforward. BUT, I also thought the passages were pretty interesting, especially in comparison to other recent tests.

And +1 on cheating details.

I agree. I wouldn't say that the passages were extremely entertaining, but the first 3 were fairly clear and not overloaded with details. When I finished them I knew exactly what the main point of the passages were. Obviously I could have missed a lot and not know it, but the questions seemed to be fairly basic. If you understood the passage then it was very easy to eliminate answer choices. I was running out of time on the hieroglyphics passage so it was nice that the answers seemed to be pulled right out of the text, you didn't really have to infer anything. The Wharton passage seemed to rely almost completely on a basic understanding of her views.

gltm

Postby gltm » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:46 pm

I thought the RC was pretty easy and tremendously interesting.

The first: I think I got it as an experimental in the past. So I was so familar with the content and think I got perfect on it.

The second: Very interesting. Author's view was explicit, and the question that asked us to identify that was easy. Other questions asking about main point, feminism, and all that were pretty easy too in my opinion.

The third: Eyewitness testimonies and all that are my favorite. I took forensic psych classes and so this was just really fascinating to read about. I tbelieve I got perfect on this one too.

The fourth: The content itself was a bit confusing but the main points were right in front of our faces. And it only helped our case that the questions focused on the last two paragraphs. So, I'm sure I did great on this one too.

Let's just say, if I scored the same as I did on RC on every other section of the test, I'd score higher than a 175!

I found RC 10x easier than December's, or September's. I'm confident I did well. Not too sure about LR though since a couple of questions on there got to me. And everyone agrees that LG was ridiculous this time around.

I hope we get a -14 curve.

lawschoolhopeful123

Postby lawschoolhopeful123 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:07 pm

good luck to all
Last edited by lawschoolhopeful123 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ds001

Postby ds001 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:14 pm

bakemono wrote:i actually felt that it was something of a shift back to the more "simple" answer choices of the pre-PT 50 LSAT's. It was during the 50's that the answer choices became more difficult; it was more difficult to differentiate between the correctness of one or the other. The RC in this test while not easy was relatively straightforward, or so i thought... well... maybe except the African languages passage.

i thought that too..but i thought that was because i wasn't getting it or something...

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Wow, I can't believe they recycled these passages. I had all of these topics in december (and thought they were quite a bit easier than the real ones btw). If I had gotten these in Feb I would have nailed it. Seems incredibly unfair that they did this....

gltm

Postby gltm » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:10 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:Wow, I can't believe they recycled these passages. I had all of these topics in december (and thought they were quite a bit easier than the real ones btw). If I had gotten these in Feb I would have nailed it. Seems incredibly unfair that they did this....

Actually only two of them were ones I remembered. Also, the questions were different I believe. And of course, the experimental sections we are given ARE recycled for future tests, and that goes for LG and LRs as well! So, this really isn't anything to be surprised about.

Also, if it just so happens that this recyling did make it easier for the test takers, I'm sure our undisclosed curve would represent that (we may have a -9 or -10).

So there really isn't anything to worry about. The LSAT is a fair, standardized test.

maks25

Postby maks25 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:15 pm

gltm wrote:
IHaveDietMoxie wrote:Wow, I can't believe they recycled these passages. I had all of these topics in december (and thought they were quite a bit easier than the real ones btw). If I had gotten these in Feb I would have nailed it. Seems incredibly unfair that they did this....

Actually only two of them were ones I remembered. Also, the questions were different I believe. And of course, the experimental sections we are given ARE recycled for future tests, and that goes for LG and LRs as well! So, this really isn't anything to be surprised about.

Also, if it just so happens that this recyling did make it easier for the test takers, I'm sure our undisclosed curve would represent that (we may have a -9 or -10).

So there really isn't anything to worry about. The LSAT is a fair, standardized test.

except for the fact that many would get screwed because of it. I didn't write in Dec, why should should the curve be -8 to -9 for me?

twintipping_bumps

Postby twintipping_bumps » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:19 pm

gltm wrote:

Do you believe they make an adjustment to the curve after the tests are reviewed? Many people seem to suggest otherwise, but I have yet to be convinced by either side on the issue.l

gltm

Postby gltm » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:37 pm

maks25 wrote:
gltm wrote:

except for the fact that many would get screwed because of it. I didn't write in Dec, why should should the curve be -8 to -9 for me?

Well, okay, I don't think they would change the curve in that case. Let's try to see the probability of any adverse affects due to the recycling of the RC passages.

How many test takers from December wrote again in Feb? I would say no more than 20%. How many of those 20% received an RC as an experimental? I'd say 25% of those, or in other words 5% of December test takers. How many remembered the content of the passages? I'd say a very, very small amount!

EDIT: So the curve won't be affected. And I admit I made a false inference to begin with. While those very few individuals that did gain an advantage from the recycling, most didn't and so the curve isn't going to be affected. Again, it is true that a lot of LSAT questions are recycled. For instance, I never received a LR experimental, but if I did, I might see that some of those have been recycled too. It's not a big deal. LSAC knows what they're doing!
Last edited by gltm on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gltm

Postby gltm » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:40 pm

I'd also like to add that a lot of LRs and LGs are recycled as well. So this is nothing.

maks25

Postby maks25 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:47 pm

gltm wrote:
maks25 wrote:
gltm wrote:

Well, okay, I don't think they would change the curve in that case. Let's try to see the probability of any adverse affects due to the recycling of the RC passages.

How many test takers from December wrote again in Feb? I would say no more than 20%. How many of those 20% received an RC as an experimental? I'd say 25% of those, or in other words 5% of December test takers. How many remembered the content of the passages? I'd say a very, very small amount!

So the fact that someone did become exposed to these experimentals in the past does not mean that they had any unfair advantage. It's so easy to forget topics of discussion, so any chance of remebering the questions after writing the test seems miniscule.

I feel as if I did get a bit more familiar with the topics, but that doesn't mean that I did any better or worse than I would have if I hadn't.

The topics were just interesting which is why they felt easy.

So the fact that someone did become exposed to these experimentals in the past does not mean that they had any unfair advantage.

Quite a leap there don't you think...all you've proven is that it's unlikely that the curve is affected by it, the individual itself on the other hand could very well have benefited greatly from having previously been exposed to the same passage.

But anyways, the fact that the curve was most likely not affected at all is nice to know.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”