Do the bibles complement testmasters course well? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MSachmorov

New

Do the bibles complement testmasters course well?

Post by MSachmorov » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Hey guys,
I have been studying for the LSAT with the powerscore bibles and I am looking to take a course. I know the story about how powerscore split from testmasters and all but I have also heard that the requirements for Testmaster instructors are higher than the requirements for powerscore instructors. So I was wondering if anybody knew how well, if at all, the powerscore bibles complement the testmasters course? I heave searched the form and read mixed things (like "well you are already learning the powerscore method from the bibles so might as well stick with them for the course too"). But I have also heard that Testmasters material tends to be lacking in the explanation department without the instructor and the bibles can supplement for that.

So anyway, I was wondering what everyone else thought? Has anyone who has taken the testmaster course studied with the powerscore bibles? If so, what did you think? Does anyone know how similar the powerscore methods are to the methods used by testmasters?
Any and all comments/advice/suggestions are appreciated!

CMDantes

Bronze

Re: Do the bibles complement testmasters course well?

Post by CMDantes » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 pm

I would echo this inquiry, as I have just bought the LG/LR bibles to better prepare for the June LSAT. I figured that since the course begins late March, I have two months to prepare on my own.

The representative at Testmasters informed me that they don't recommend such self-study and prefer their students go in fresh, as their methods and the methods of Powerscore differ...but I feel like she said that simply because she worked for testmasters.

Anyone have any experience doing this?

jmaan

Bronze

Post by jmaan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm

testmasters sucks...that being said, they overlap..u can just read the bibles and not take the class

onthecusp

Bronze

Post by onthecusp » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:33 am

I took a testmasters course; read the bibles after and so many things materialized from the Testmasters course that was not clear before. Definitely worth it to go through the bibles.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:30 am

I would recommend going in fresh, having not learned anything. But, once TM has taught you something it is a good idea to try and use the bibles to solidify what you have learned. I think they are a pretty good supplement because most of the time it is pretty much the same thing explained in a slightly different way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:27 am

The bibles are very good. So is the testmasters course. TM doesn't want you to look at any other prep course but this is nonsense. I really think that the Testmasters folks are cultish and weird about other prep companies. They sue them and talk trash and discourage students from looking at other ways of doing the material. It is beyond normal business competition.

Using the bible before class will absolutely benefit you.

christinalsat

Bronze

Post by christinalsat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:30 am

Rand M. wrote:I would recommend going in fresh, having not learned anything. But, once TM has taught you something it is a good idea to try and use the bibles to solidify what you have learned. I think they are a pretty good supplement because most of the time it is pretty much the same thing explained in a slightly different way.
I agree. I skimmed through the bibles a month before my TM class and the first couple weeks of class ended up being an annoying review of what I already knew. I'd save the bibles for after you complete the course to supplement your knowledge. I am def. going to revisit them now that I'm done with the course.

MSachmorov

New

Post by MSachmorov » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:46 pm

jmaan wrote:testmasters sucks...that being said, they overlap..u can just read the bibles and not take the class

Why do you think Testmasters is not a good prep company? Did you have a bad experience? If you did, please let us know!

FreeGuy

Bronze

Post by FreeGuy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:49 pm

MSachmorov wrote:
jmaan wrote:testmasters sucks...that being said, they overlap..u can just read the bibles and not take the class

Why do you think Testmasters is not a good prep company? Did you have a bad experience? If you did, please let us know!
this:

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:51 pm

Boycott Testmasters :twisted:

MSachmorov

New

Post by MSachmorov » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice/responses! This is exactly the advice I was looking for and I am glad my instincts were not far off. I will be using the bibles to complement the Testmasters course and I will post back after I have completed everything to let others know what I thought! I called Powerscore and Testmasters and turns out that Powerscore is not even offering a prep course in my area and Testmasters is. Looks like I didn't have much of a choice anyway, but I am glad it worked out the way it did! Thanks again everybody! :mrgreen:

MSachmorov

New

Post by MSachmorov » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:53 pm

FreeGuy wrote:
MSachmorov wrote:

this:

--LinkRemoved--
Oh wow. Well thanks for finally clearing that up! I saw some hate on these forms towards Testmasters and I didn't understand why until now, so thanks for sharing.
But either way, just because their hiring practices might be a bit...biased and unfair, doesn't mean that they aren't a good (if not one of the best) prep companies.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:05 pm

MSachmorov wrote: Oh wow. Well thanks for finally clearing that up! I saw some hate on these forms towards Testmasters and I didn't understand why until now, so thanks for sharing.
But either way, just because their hiring practices might be a bit...biased and unfair, doesn't mean that they aren't a good (if not one of the best) prep companies.
yeah, i shop at walmart too

MSachmorov

New

Post by MSachmorov » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:17 pm

jayn3 wrote:
MSachmorov wrote: Oh wow. Well thanks for finally clearing that up! I saw some hate on these forms towards Testmasters and I didn't understand why until now, so thanks for sharing.
yeah, i shop at walmart too
HA HA HA I literally LOLed when I read this! Touche 8)
By the way, nice avatar! Too bad they don't air Firefly anymore :cry:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”