For those who just took the test today

tinalooks808
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby tinalooks808 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:57 pm

I took the exam today and I was one of the unlucky few who had 2 logic games..

The first one was super hard and I hope that it was NOT the one scored, if it was.. I will without doubt need to take the exam over again!

:(

tinalooks808
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby tinalooks808 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:bc people on other threads have been saying they don't remember bouquets but they do remember juicers....


Yea
They were demoing the -Juicers, Mixers, Rotisserie

The first logic game is a complete blur!!! I am so not feeling confident about this exam!

User avatar
monkeyboy
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby monkeyboy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:08 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:agree
i have never had a time issue on lg before
had a time issue today

everything else was strangely easy

hopefully they curved it appropriately
-2 (optimally 3) instead of -1 for 180



Seriously, I think it might just be that the real thing shocks people. I had a bad experience in December with games. I had never experienced so much difficulty with that section. I think the time constraints with games, when it counts, really affect people. When you get stumped on one question, it's easy to kind of freak out.

mazz
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby mazz » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:35 pm

neanderthals?

that one messed me up

Snuffie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby Snuffie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:42 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Seriously, I think it might just be that the real thing shocks people. I had a bad experience in December with games. I had never experienced so much difficulty with that section. I think the time constraints with games, when it counts, really affect people. When you get stumped on one question, it's easy to kind of freak out.


There's a lot that can contribute to the panic, but it is there. I think when PT they don't really prepare themselves for the real thing. I know I didn't. Plus, you know, I've taken it twice and I usually get 4 hours a sleep the night before. That is my biggest downfall.

Further on the subject of pretests. I once read someone criticize PT scores on the basis that people credit themselves with questions they "would have gotten right in the real thing." That may be true. However, the real detriment is likely in the way people administer the PTs:

Do you have someone meet you in another room of your house/apartment and take your thumbprint? Do they then sit and instruct you on how to fill out 14 sections of a test form and write a certifying statement, the totality of which takes 45 minutes and gives you an opportunity to build up all kinds of anticipation and anxiety? Do they call a 5 minute warning? Do they call time, then make you put your pencils down, then inform you that you have the next 35 minutes to begin, to turn your page to the next section and begin?

If you ask me, the above is the most anxiety-inducing. Those little delays and prompts. If you want to really prepare yourself for the LSAT, then include the little annoyances and clerical delays.

One final note: I've learned that when some people PT, even timed, they'll do things like go immediately to check the answers and/or go to the bathroom without the timer running. If you want to master the conditions, then hold yourself to the actual standards.

If I have to take this again, and hell, I'm willing to take it as many as 4 times total if I must, then I'd like to figure out how to get more than 4 hours of sleep. If anyone has a suggestion that does not involve illicit drugs and/or alcohol, that'd be downright helpful.

User avatar
monkeyboy
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby monkeyboy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:27 pm

Snuffie wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:Seriously, I think it might just be that the real thing shocks people. I had a bad experience in December with games. I had never experienced so much difficulty with that section. I think the time constraints with games, when it counts, really affect people. When you get stumped on one question, it's easy to kind of freak out.


There's a lot that can contribute to the panic, but it is there. I think when PT they don't really prepare themselves for the real thing. I know I didn't. Plus, you know, I've taken it twice and I usually get 4 hours a sleep the night before. That is my biggest downfall.

Further on the subject of pretests. I once read someone criticize PT scores on the basis that people credit themselves with questions they "would have gotten right in the real thing." That may be true. However, the real detriment is likely in the way people administer the PTs:

Do you have someone meet you in another room of your house/apartment and take your thumbprint? Do they then sit and instruct you on how to fill out 14 sections of a test form and write a certifying statement, the totality of which takes 45 minutes and gives you an opportunity to build up all kinds of anticipation and anxiety? Do they call a 5 minute warning? Do they call time, then make you put your pencils down, then inform you that you have the next 35 minutes to begin, to turn your page to the next section and begin?

If you ask me, the above is the most anxiety-inducing. Those little delays and prompts. If you want to really prepare yourself for the LSAT, then include the little annoyances and clerical delays.

One final note: I've learned that when some people PT, even timed, they'll do things like go immediately to check the answers and/or go to the bathroom without the timer running. If you want to master the conditions, then hold yourself to the actual standards.

If I have to take this again, and hell, I'm willing to take it as many as 4 times total if I must, then I'd like to figure out how to get more than 4 hours of sleep. If anyone has a suggestion that does not involve illicit drugs and/or alcohol, that'd be downright helpful.



True. I absolutely think people do that. I've had to keep myself honest a time or two PT-ing as I'm run out of time on reading comp just as I see the right answer to the last question. I don't count it right by any means, but I believe many probably do. This allows people to get sloppy and it can change a PT test score by 4 or 5 points if repeated on each section. I think the truth is that those dumb mistakes we all make on PTs are going to be made with at least similar frequency on the real thing and probably more often due to the stress factor.

This test is a bear. Those who can fight through the doubt and disappointment and hit 170 on that third try are pretty impressive. Not only is the test difficult, but it measures one's ability to remain confident and composed, IMO.

bakemono
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 3:54 am

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby bakemono » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 am

Peter North wrote:Yep, same here.

This is how mine went.

1 - LG (Real, this was hard).
2 - LR (Real)
3 - LG (Experimental)
Break
4 - LR (Real, but way too much BS science/anthropology questions)
5 - RC (Real, the last one about the language was brutal, I guess on that).

How do I know this? In my test center, this guy and this chick had only one LG and it was the LG from my # 1.

Either way, LG was a hit and miss. Both LGs were pretty hard IMO.

HTH


i had the same format as you and likewise i was able to confirm that the first one was the real deal, but i still don't understand what people are saying by calling that the "hard" one. i thought the experimental was definitely harder, but i guess it's just me.

newmvmnt
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby newmvmnt » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:33 pm

bakemono wrote:
Peter North wrote:Yep, same here.

This is how mine went.

1 - LG (Real, this was hard).
2 - LR (Real)
3 - LG (Experimental)
Break
4 - LR (Real, but way too much BS science/anthropology questions)
5 - RC (Real, the last one about the language was brutal, I guess on that).

How do I know this? In my test center, this guy and this chick had only one LG and it was the LG from my # 1.

Either way, LG was a hit and miss. Both LGs were pretty hard IMO.

HTH


i had the same format as you and likewise i was able to confirm that the first one was the real deal, but i still don't understand what people are saying by calling that the "hard" one. i thought the experimental was definitely harder, but i guess it's just me.



This was my format too. I feel like I may have done a little better on the 1st lg games than the 2nd I dont remember tho. Can anyone tell me what the jist of the four games were on the actual lg section (which was the 1st section)? I feel like I can make an actual prediction on how I did with that info.

please tell me the one about dj's was experimental?!?
Last edited by newmvmnt on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynomite
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby dynomite » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Snuffie wrote:If I have to take this again, and hell, I'm willing to take it as many as 4 times total if I must, then I'd like to figure out how to get more than 4 hours of sleep. If anyone has a suggestion that does not involve illicit drugs and/or alcohol, that'd be downright helpful.


Your advice on PTs is obviously solid.

As for the sleeping thing, I think the best advice for someone with anxiety problems is to focus on Thursday night. Getting 10+ hours of sleep the night before you're tossing and turning on Friday night will cushion the blow.

Snuffie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: For those who just took the test today

Postby Snuffie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:05 pm

rjlee wrote:
If I have to take this again, and hell, I'm willing to take it as many as 4 times total if I must, then I'd like to figure out how to get more than 4 hours of sleep. If anyone has a suggestion that does not involve illicit drugs and/or alcohol, that'd be downright helpful.


I've taken the test twice nice - and while the suggestion above me is reasonable - I've also had success with the opposite. I usually try to NOT get a whole lot of sleep on Thursday night so that I'm tired enough to fall asleep early enough on Friday. I'm a nervous test taker so I'd normally have problems sleeping, but I've found that for me personally, if I'm tired enough I'll still fall asleep. I guess it's kinda risky though and hit or miss.


Good advice. I appreciate it. I've found that mild versions of either don't work, so, if I have to take the test a final time, I'll have to more extreme measures. Here's to hoping that won't be an issue.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, cianchetta0 and 8 guests