Anyone work for Princeton Review? Others care to comment?

IncorrectReversal

Anyone work for Princeton Review? Others care to comment?

Postby IncorrectReversal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi everyone, I recently posted about my desire to take a Testmasters course. However, I am extremely turned off by the recent controversy and even more so how late the TM course starts.

Therefore, I am looking into taking a PR class that starts 2/13 and ends 5/15. On Monday I am going to call and see if they can tell me who the instructor will be and whether I can sit in on a class first.

Nevertheless, Is anyone here an instructor (past or present) for PR, or anyone who has taken the course, and can comment on some of the unpublished advantages, disadvantages, strengths, weaknesses, etc? If you care to private message me that would be fine. I have not taken a diagnostic, and don’t particularly feel that a completely cold one is a good judge of whether I need a course (I know I would not score >162 on a diag right now). I am pretty set on taking a course, the question is really which one. I have the gpa to get into really any t14 school and am just trying to study right and go for the best lsat score I can.

Thanks a lot everyone!

tomwatts

Re: Anyone work for Princeton Review? Others care to comment?

Postby tomwatts » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:20 pm

I teach for PR. If you ask about the instructor and they don't now what info to give you, you can ask if the instructor is a tutor and if so, if you can see his/her tutor bio. That will give a little information on the background of the instructor. What's your location? I might even know the teacher.

That sounds like the right schedule to take. I gather it's an 84-hour (Hyperlearning) course with classes twice per week (and occasional tests on a third day)? Those are the courses that I most strongly recommend out of the ones that we offer. Another advantage is ending a little bit before the test; while you don't need terribly much time after the course before the test, it's nice to have a week or two just to take a few more tests and put together all the info you've got. You might, by the way, ask about the enrollment in the course and make sure that it's going to start on schedule; sometimes we postpone a course start because of low enrollment. If it's likely to be postponed a week, that's still not a serious issue; if it may be canceled entirely, that's another thing.

As you'd get with pretty much anybody else, you get all the released tests and an instructor who's scored 98th percentile or above. The classes are usually smaller than TM/BP/PS classes, so there's much more opportunity to participate and get your questions answered. I'd say it sounds like a good fit.

So my advice:
* Ask for a tutor bio for the instructor if it's available. If it's not, you may or may not be able to find out anything about the instructor. If they don't tell you anything, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, though. The instructor could still be great.
* Ask about enrollment. If they say that the course is full enough to start on time or close enough anyway that it will start near to on time, you're golden. Sign up.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Just in case you missed the $250 coupon:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71862

Tom gave you great advice. I am also aware that a poster by the name of JazzOne taught for Princeton as well. Another good source here if you need it.

$1300 from TTTesmaster's pockets!!!!! AWESOME!
Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IncorrectReversal

Postby IncorrectReversal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks for the help Tom, I am going to call them monday and try to get that information. Anyway, it seems the link to that coupon is broken. I went through the original post on the forum, but even when you click that link no discount is applied. Do you know if thats still active.

I know this question is so opinionated, but is there anything you could say to the statement that PR tailors towards people in the middle of the pact/wont give me the background you need to getin 170+?

IncorrectReversal

Postby IncorrectReversal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:33 pm

So I called Princeton Review today, and while they were by no means rude they were not overly helpful either. The course in Ithaca is set to start on 2/13, but there has not been an exact location yet. This could be an issue for me as I am a college student without a car. Second, they have not actually chosen the instructor yet. Over the phone I was told I can be sent a few instructor bio's but there is no way of knowing which one I will have at the moment. Lastly, they said that they do not let students sit in on a class before signing up.

I am still interested in the PR course, but being that it starts in a week, I think there are too many uncertainties that I am not willing to chance.

Anyones opinions? Tom or anyone else who has worked there?

abbas123

Postby abbas123 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:35 pm

sew252 wrote:Lastly, they said that they do not let students sit in on a class before signing up.

why not?! is this the norm with them?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”