How to handle incorrect 5-minute warnings?

dbrddr

How to handle incorrect 5-minute warnings?

Postby dbrddr » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:34 pm

Many of the LSAT horror stories on here relate to proctors screwing up the 5-minute warning. If it happens that my proctor tells us there are 5 minutes remaining when there should actually be 10 or 15, would it be wise to say something like "I think there are actually 10," or could I get written up for insubordination or something?

OGR3

Re: How to handle incorrect 5-minute warnings?

Postby OGR3 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Rip up your test booklet and storm out crying.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:37 pm

"Mind your mop."

Take a watch with you.

Let others deal with it. THEIR LSAT isn't YOUR problem.

Also, the botched 5-minute warnings often come too late. This will make you so angry, nervous and scared that saying something logical won't happen, it'll morph into "dammit you retarded bitch, you have one fucking job! christ! am i taking this test at a community college or what?!"

I know that's what I almost said.

However, it manifested into a barely audible "FUCK!"

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:44 pm

dbrddr wrote:Many of the LSAT horror stories on here relate to proctors' screwing up the 5-minute warning. If it happens that my proctor tells us there are 5 minutes remaining when there should actually be 10 or 15, would it be wise to say something like "I think there are actually 10," or could I get written up for insubordination or something?

I have some thoughts on this! I'm re-taking on Saturday due to just such a "horror story".

The part about speaking up and being written up was what held me back. However, someone did finally speak up and a debate ensued. After about a minute of back-and-forth, she finally noticed she set the timer for 30, not 35 minutes. Sooooo, I say speak up!! Don't let it go unannounced. If you feel your score was impacted, get as much info as possible. Names of the proctors and anyone willing to give their names to you to add in the report. I got 3 names from the people around me.

After a month waiting for the investigation to wrap up, I was offered the choice of canceling my score, site unseen, or taking the opportunity of a free re-take. I went with the latter.

That's all you can really do. It sucks....

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 pm

If this happened to me, I would raise my hand and tell the proctor.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:00 pm

bottom line is that when you go in to take this lsat, remember your going into war. if and when it happens, dont get upset, get tough and get to work, cry about it after the test.

DarkPhantom

Postby DarkPhantom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:17 am

Make sure you firmly the proctor to properly time the warnings and such.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:57 am

Honestly, if it were me I would just block it out and concentrate on solving the problems / bubbling in the answers and let someone else say something. Someone else is bound to speak up, and I wouldn't want to waste any time arguing with the proctors when I could be checking those final questions I was having trouble with. I would make sure to bubble in everything so that even if they did try to end it early, my answer sheet would still be filled, and if no one else spoke up I would bring it up at the end of the section when they would try to make me wrap it up before the section should be over.
itsfine wrote:bottom line is that when you go in to take this lsat, remember your going into war. if and when it happens, dont get upset, get tough and get to work, cry about it after the test.

+1

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 am

Warning, who cares, as long as you know what the time is. Calling the end of a section inappropriately, YES, SPEAK UP!! I mention this partly because I had a tutoring student a year ago who had to retake because the proctor mistimed the first two sections and he (and everyone else in the room) didn't say anything.
Last edited by tomwatts on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:50 am

When I took the September test, our proctor gave the 5 minute warning with 10 minutes left during the 4th section. I corrected her.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:02 am

I got a 2 minute warning in June 09 on logic games.

They were section 2.

Needless to say, that + dinos killed me,

I am a zombie now.

Drummingreg

Postby Drummingreg » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 am

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”