QWERTY

7ED

QWERTY

Postby 7ED » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Im sure theres been a thousand topics on this already, but I havn't been able to dig them up and I just finished Dec 2009 practice exam. Although I can see E as an answer, I have one dispute to make.

The prompt says that the keyboard was designed to prevent jamming. What if computer keyboards would have jammed too if keys were struck in quick succession? I don't think E takes that into consideration.

Any thoughts? Personally, I chose A, crossed out B, C, and D, but was pretty dissatisfied with A too.

Cupidity

Re: QWERTY

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:03 pm

computer keyboards can't jam. electronic v. mechanical. Invalid assumption

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:04 pm

7ED wrote:Im sure theres been a thousand topics on this already, but I havn't been able to dig them up and I just finished Dec 2009 practice exam. Although I can see E as an answer, I have one dispute to make.

The prompt says that the keyboard was designed to prevent jamming. What if computer keyboards would have jammed too if keys were struck in quick succession? I don't think E takes that into consideration.

Any thoughts? Personally, I chose A, crossed out B, C, and D, but was pretty dissatisfied with A too.

I am not sure if this ia against the rules to dicuss. But I believe the passage makes mention of the fact that it is a typewrite specific design flaw. There would be no reason it would occur in a computer.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:06 pm

ever see a trypewriter? its not the keys that jam its the rods/levers they are attached to.

this
Cupidity wrote:computer keyboards can't jam. electronic v. mechanical. Invalid assumption

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 pm

7ED wrote:I don't think E takes that into consideration.... Any thoughts? Personally, I chose A, crossed out B, C, and D, but was pretty dissatisfied with A too.

Yeah, a lot of people found this to be a very hard question (there's even a discussion of it somewhere else).

In terms of (A): This is your standard "extreme" wrong answer choice, just better packaged. "Most" is way more extreme than anything you'll find in the stimulus ("Experiments have shown ... CAN" do such and such).

In terms of (E): Remember, this isn't must be true, it's most strongly supported. It doesn't have to take everything into consideration to be more strongly supported than any other answer.

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:28 pm

last week I was very surprised to find that qwerty is a valid word in scrabble

klussy

Postby klussy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:51 pm

DCD wrote:ever see a trypewriter? its not the keys that jam its the rods/levers they are attached to.

this
Cupidity wrote:computer keyboards can't jam. electronic v. mechanical. Invalid assumption

you're right; but the stimulus doesn't mention this. it's an assumption you have to bring in from the "outside" world (at least that's what I recall)

also, I always thought most supported/inference=must be true :?:

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:07 pm

klussy wrote:also, I always thought most supported/inference=must be true :?:

Yeah, this is a common fallacy even among LSAT prep companies. It's often true that the answers are MBT, but just look at the word "MOST" -- that, all by itself, suggests that we're talking in relative instead of absolute terms about the answer choice.

There's a good post on this subject on an lsat blog I just found on Google: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/mo ... gical.html

It's an inference question. You must have evidence to support your answer choice, but that's it.

bakemono

Postby bakemono » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:49 am

why not C though?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 am

Thank God I found that old type-writer in the trash.

it is now part of a musical ensemble.

klussy

Postby klussy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:39 am

dynomite wrote:
klussy wrote:also, I always thought most supported/inference=must be true :?:

Yeah, this is a common fallacy even among LSAT prep companies. It's often true that the answers are MBT, but just look at the word "MOST" -- that, all by itself, suggests that we're talking in relative instead of absolute terms about the answer choice.

There's a good post on this subject on an lsat blog I just found on Google: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/mo ... gical.html

It's an inference question. You must have evidence to support your answer choice, but that's it.

interesting. way to fail, LR bible (and Kaplan, for that matter)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”