christinalsat

Re: The closings have started [updated 16:09 EST]

Postby christinalsat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:47 pm

theadw wrote:More.

Center 1371 - University of Maryland-College Park, College Park, MD
Center 1372 - University of Maryland (Overflow)-College Park, College Park, MD
Center 1569 - Catholic University of America, Washington, DC

Anyone else taking it at Howard?

I'm signed up for Howard. It would be really weird (and kinda suck) if some DC testing centers closed and others didn't.

GentlemanJim

Re: The closings have started [updated 16:41 EST]

Postby GentlemanJim » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:48 pm

American, here.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:56 pm

oh this is gonna be good....

LongueFrappe

Postby LongueFrappe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:39 pm

This is going to suck but quite frankly I am disappointed no Baltimore centers have been canceled yet. I live near College Park but chose Baltimore as my test site because that is why I go to school. Not looking forward to driving through the snow or the test for that matter.

JSIM462

Postby JSIM462 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:40 pm

Sure, VA and MD are supposed to get hit hard, but what about North in NJ who won't get as much? What does it take to cancel? 3 inches, 4 inches, ice? If they already cancelled so many, aren't they more likely to be cautious and cancel more in NJ?

LongueFrappe

Postby LongueFrappe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:48 pm

JSIM not until they've finished canceling all the test center within the tristate area of Maryland, yes you bastards over at LSAC that includes Baltimore.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:54 pm

agh this is so frustrating
these closings are going to affect when everyone's scores are released

and weather closings are so relative to what that area is used to. seriously, closings because of 1 ft of snow?? If I called a mich center after 3 ft of snow and asked if they were closing they would tell me my score was automatically cancelled for idiocy loll

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Do we think there will still be closures announced tonight or no word until open of business tomorrow?

LongueFrappe

Postby LongueFrappe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Towson, Yes, getting close and going North up Maryland. Common, now up to proper Baltimore closings.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:58 pm

JSIM462 wrote:Sure, VA and MD are supposed to get hit hard, but what about North in NJ who won't get as much? What does it take to cancel? 3 inches, 4 inches, ice? If they already cancelled so many, aren't they more likely to be cautious and cancel more in NJ?

They canceled at 'Nova, so they're getting closer. Nothing in NJ is canceled yet. Looking at the map, it's way iffy for North NJ, but I think South/Central will definitely be canceled.

chintand

Postby chintand » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:01 pm

one would think since they closed nova..they'd go ahead and cancel upenn as well..id hope they'd update more tonight as opposed to waiting till tomorrow

JSIM462

Postby JSIM462 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
JSIM462 wrote:Sure, VA and MD are supposed to get hit hard, but what about North in NJ who won't get as much? What does it take to cancel? 3 inches, 4 inches, ice? If they already cancelled so many, aren't they more likely to be cautious and cancel more in NJ?

They canceled at 'Nova, so they're getting closer. Nothing in NJ is canceled yet. Looking at the map, it's way iffy for North NJ, but I think South/Central will definitely be canceled.

I am at Rutgers, not a fun drive in the snow. I just wouldn't understand if they cancelled all these schools and then didn't cancel here. It's not like we are the only part of the country they are cancelling.

LongueFrappe

Postby LongueFrappe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Is it up to the University itself to cancel the test or LSAC? If it is the former It might explain why some centers haven't been canceled yet as my Uni shuts down by 4. Administratively speaking. If college park and towson are closed my center should be closed as well.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:agh this is so frustrating

and weather closings are so relative to what that area is used to. seriously, closings because of 1 ft of snow?? If I called a mich center after 3 ft of snow and asked if they were closing they would tell me my score was automatically cancelled for idiocy loll

How does it affect the release of regular scores? or did you just mean, for people who have been rescheduled?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm

There were closing in December and that didn't effect anyone's scores. If they do, I'll be supremely pissed because I've applied this cycle with my Sept. score but a bunch of schools are waiting on my Feb. score. Need to get my score before 3/1 in case I go way up and want to send more apps :? .

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:08 pm

chintand wrote:one would think since they closed nova..they'd go ahead and cancel upenn as well..id hope they'd update more tonight as opposed to waiting till tomorrow

UPenn is much easier to get to than Nova though since no one is going to plow surface streets on a Sat. morning that will keep snowing all day.

I hope they keep Swarthmore open so I can take this test! I have my SUV ready to go!

now if ALL THOSE center (and a lot more) close, does that mean we will have a delayed score release? I am applying for Sept. and this will be my first and only score.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:09 pm

jks289 wrote:

How does it affect the release of regular scores? or did you just mean, for people who have been rescheduled?

For the December test, they had closings in Texas due to weather. Now I can't remember if they consolidated everyone to one site or not, but basically they took the test 2 weeks late and then had till Monday or Tuesday (3 days) to cancel. Scores were released to all the following week, on schedule.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:20 pm

LongueFrappe wrote:Is it up to the University itself to cancel the test or LSAC? If it is the former It might explain why some centers haven't been canceled yet as my Uni shuts down by 4. Administratively speaking. If college park and towson are closed my center should be closed as well.

I think its based on the test center's operating status. So, for example, Catholic University announced at 5:02pm EST that it would be closed Friday and Saturday due to inclement weather, and LSAC added it to the cancelled list shortly after that.

LongueFrappe

Postby LongueFrappe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:22 pm

chutzpah wrote:
LongueFrappe wrote:Is it up to the University itself to cancel the test or LSAC? If it is the former It might explain why some centers haven't been canceled yet as my Uni shuts down by 4. Administratively speaking. If college park and towson are closed my center should be closed as well.

I think its based on the test center's operating status. So, for example, Catholic University announced at 5:02pm EST that it would be closed Friday and Saturday due to inclement weather, and LSAC added it to the cancelled list shortly after that.

That is so Jawsome, going to nap in the full belief that my test center will announce its closure tomorrow. A week or two's delay is a freaking boon to me and I for one am glad for this winter storm.

DannyBoy_07

Postby DannyBoy_07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:27 pm

JSIM462 wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I am at Rutgers, not a fun drive in the snow. I just wouldn't understand if they cancelled all these schools and then didn't cancel here. It's not like we are the only part of the country they are cancelling.

I am at Rutgers too buddy, this is bullshit! Just cancel this shit already! I already booked a hotel in New Brunswick.

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Seriously, cancel these motherfuckers already so I can enjoy my snow day.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:41 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
jks289 wrote:

For the December test, they had closings in Texas due to weather. Now I can't remember if they consolidated everyone to one site or not, but basically they took the test 2 weeks late and then had till Monday or Tuesday (3 days) to cancel. Scores were released to all the following week, on schedule.

oh ok whew
i had been led to believe by another poster that if anyone's test was postponed that all the tests would be released weeks later

im jealous you all get an extra two weeks to study though! im guessing you dont take the same test though right?
otherwise wouldnt cheating be ridic easy for those areas?

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:48 pm

DannyBoy_07 wrote:I am at Rutgers too buddy, this is bullshit! Just cancel this shit already! I already booked a hotel in New Brunswick.

Another one in NJ here, but I'm at William Paterson, and the area is all hills. Even if they don't cancel, I don't need the added stress of the drive up there in the snow. Wonder if I should just bite the bullet now and book a hotel, or wait and see what happens by tomorrow morning.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:51 pm

How far do you all live from your test centers that you have to book a hotel because of the snow?

DannyBoy_07

Postby DannyBoy_07 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:16 pm

keg411 wrote:How far do you all live from your test centers that you have to book a hotel because of the snow?

I am ~35 minutes away. If the snow is bad it would take over an hour.

Next question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”