Re-taking old Practice Tests?

cgs230

Re-taking old Practice Tests?

Postby cgs230 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:04 am

Hey everyone,

So I have gone through just about all of the most recent tests and some from the early 2000s, and with the possibility that the test might be canceled on Saturday, I'm wondering how best to approach these next 1-2 weeks...

Would anyone advise re-taking old diagnostic/practice tests, maybe some that I took in December? Or is that a waste of time and will my score be skewed?

Any ideas, or any suggestions about good old tests?

rv11

Re: Re-taking old Practice Tests?

Postby rv11 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:08 am

+1, ive gone through all the released material and have nothing left to work on if it gets postponed

februaryftw

Postby februaryftw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:11 am

Your score will be skewed, but I"m not sure why that matters; they are good practice all the same, as long as you don't pick answers because you remember them.

For my prep, I took 20-25 tests where I had seen substantial portions of the test before doing my last few unseens. When I hit my unseen tests (tests in the 50s), my median score on unseen tests had risen by 8 points from the few I took before doing the "seen" tests. My average on seen PTs was inflated a point or two, but they were excellent practice. Also, if you keep track of questions that give problems twice, they are a good indicator of a real problem you need to address.

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 am

With the possibility of postponement, retaking exams is viable.

I had to do this when I readied myself for a retake. Sometimes, I knew that my previous exposure to the material was going to skew my responses to some questions. For such occasions (this was particularly apparent in RC, because I seemed to have a vague recollection of many of the topics they used) I made sure that I wasn't answering the question simply because I felt like I knew the answer, but reasoned it out from the reading I just performed. I also reduced my testing time per section to 32 minutes, both as a tool to help with the skewing, and also to help take into account the possibility of test day slow down. Using my average score from PT's before the retake, I hit that mark exactly.

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:36 am

Great suggestions-

Yeah I'm kind of in between deciding to retake one from last year (that I first took maybe a month or two ago) vs. taking one from 2002 or so, that I never took.

I guess the only wrong thing I could do is not do either.

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 am

and I heard tests from 1997-99 should be avoided too, is that weird?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”