LR section I, June 09 test, #22 (help please)

risktaker

LR section I, June 09 test, #22 (help please)

Postby risktaker » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:21 am

Can someone explain why A is more right than B? I feel like B is a stronger answer. Also, i felt that an answer that has "material found so far" is bad because there could always be other ones found. Can someone suggest how to approach this question? Thanks.

ConsideringLawSchool

Re: LR section I, June 09 test, #22 (help please)

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 am

risktaker wrote:Can someone explain why A is more right than B? I feel like B is a stronger answer. Also, i felt that an answer that has "material found so far" is bad because there could always be other ones found. Can someone suggest how to approach this question? Thanks.

Let's break down the stimulus...

We have a certain puzzling situation that we want to explain. It was believed previously that Clovis points were invented in North America. We have now found Clovis points in Siberia. We know that paleohumans came from Siberia to North America and that, due to the covering of the Bering land bridge, travel back to Siberia wasn't easy (beginning at some unstated point in the chronology). So, the archeologist suggests, the Clovis was probably not invented in North America.

A -- If we know that the Clovis points found in Siberia were older than those in North America then that discovery offers additional evidence that they were not created in North America (it seems pretty unlikely that something was invented, then the first products were brought to a different continent). You're right that there may be older, undiscovered ones. Remember, though, the question on this particular item is "which of the following would most strengthen?" We, therefore, don't need an answer that absolutely proves the theory--just one that adds support, as this information certainly does.

B -- On first glance this answer does seem tempting. Remember, though, that we have found Clovis points in both North America and Siberia. If the land bridge disappeared before the first Clovis point was made, I guess the only explanation would be that the Clovis points were independently invented in North America and Siberia--and then B does nothing to resolve the issue of where they were first invented. Actually, I would argue that B would weaken the theory since it would indicate that the Clovis points were invented in BOTH North America and Siberia. (This answer, btw, also has the "found do date" component that concerned you about A)

C -- Irrelevant

D -- Again, not relevant

E -- This information would significantly weaken the theory since humans could have brought back the Clovis points or the knowledge of how to make them.

Hope that helps.

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:54 am

I like the above explanation but just want to add my two cents because I love this question, I argued about it after June test with lots of TLS'ers.

A) We've found clovis points in Siberia. In fact, the clovis points in Siberia that we found were the oldest of ANY clovis points ever found. That doesn't prove that they were invented in Siberia, but it sure does suggest it support the idea. "Where was the wheel invented, Xistan or Yistan? I'm not sure, but the oldest wheels ever found were from Xistan, so.. probably there."

B) The land bridge a long time ago, before any of the clovis points we've found have been made. However, does that mean that there was no way to get back and forth between Siberia and North America? I don't see why they couldn't take a boat. Either way, you've got some clovis points in Siberia, some in North America, we don't know which ones are older or where they were invented, so it doesn't strengthen the idea that they were invented in Siberia rather than N. America.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”