PT 57 (dino games) just destroyed me

thatsnotmyname

PT 57 (dino games) just destroyed me

Postby thatsnotmyname » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:48 am

So, I'm taking the LSAT on Saturday. Been getting high 160s-low 170s, still managed a 166 on PT 57 despite the fact dino games just destroyed me.

Any last minute tips on how to handle a game like the dino games? It seems like a standard grouping game, it was just that it was so time consuming i didn't have enough time to get to most of the questions in the last game. I really hope we don't get a game like that on Saturday.

Also, could someone, please, explain question 24 on section 2. I have no idea what the argument is even trying to say, not to mention what the correct answer would be.

Mr. Matlock

Re: PT 57 (dino games) just destroyed me

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttKYUmMPsg

There are 3 videos total. It will link you to the 2nd and 3rd. Found it very helpful.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:50 am

Plus, the opening music is slammin'

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:So, I'm taking the LSAT on Saturday. Been getting high 160s-low 170s, still managed a 166 on PT 57 despite the fact dino games just destroyed me.

Any last minute tips on how to handle a game like the dino games? It seems like a standard grouping game, it was just that it was so time consuming i didn't have enough time to get to most of the questions in the last game. I really hope we don't get a game like that on Saturday.

Also, could someone, please, explain question 24 on section 2. I have no idea what the argument is even trying to say, not to mention what the correct answer would be.

As for Question 24...

The first sentence, which offers the first premise, establishes that a person reading a poem sometimes believes that ideas within it are contradictory--and that this event sometimes happens with great poems. The second sentence, which is the conclusion of the argument, states that it is false that the meaning of a poem is necessarily whatever the author sought to communicate. The final sentence, a second premise, states that no one writing a great poem would seek to communicate contradictory ideas.

As with every assumption question, there must be a missing link. The missing link here is that the person's belief about the contradictory nature of ideas within the poem is an accurate reflection of the existence of contradictory ideas within the poem.

A - really not relevant; the issue is whether individual readers believe there to be contradictory ideas within the poem, not whether different readers disagree

B - the argument does not require that a poet seek to express a single idea--just that the poet not seek to express contradictory ideas

C - again, we're not worried about agreement between different readers

D - if readers miss some ideas, that is fine. the issue is not whether they pick up on every single issue

E - this answer restates what we found to be missing. If the reader's belief that there are contradictory ideas does not mean that there are, in fact, contradictory ideas, the first premise is no longer relevant to the conclusion.

Sorry that this explanation may be a bit more complex than it needs to be--been a long day :-)

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 am

Pearalegal wrote:Plus, the opening music is slammin'

:lol:

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:05 am

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm going to save these videos for tomorrow, but I read in the video information that the dino games supposedly reversed the LSAT trend of the last five years of "easy" logic games. So, how was the LG section on the December test?

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:16 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:Thanks for the help, guys. I'm going to save these videos for tomorrow, but I read in the video information that the dino games supposedly reversed the LSAT trend of the last five years of "easy" logic games. So, how was the LG section on the December test?

Much easier, still a bit tough, the last game is tricky but not impossible. Dont let dinos psyche you out.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:16 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:Thanks for the help, guys. I'm going to save these videos for tomorrow, but I read in the video information that the dino games supposedly reversed the LSAT trend of the last five years of "easy" logic games. So, how was the LG section on the December test?

I didn't think it was as bad. Be ready for bi-conditional grouping games. (If A-----> -B etc. ) 2 in September's and 1 in December.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:26 am

why would you bring up this god-forsaken game? I had to take that LSAT back in June. nightmare. hence, had to take again in sept.

Had nearly wiped the dinos from my memory.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:37 am

Search the June LSAT thread. There were ALOT of negative feelings about the dino game.

bakemono

Postby bakemono » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:03 am

i don't think it reversed anything.

58/59 was much more manageable.

Hell, 57 as a test was perhaps the most well-roundedly difficult test EVER(LR, LR, RC... all were above average- hard). I still don't get the big deal with mauve dinosaurs, the deduction was beyond obvious for anyone who's done a couple of in/out grouping games, and there are literally around 30-40 of them in LSAT history. I actually found game 4 to be the more difficult game. I guess diff. opinions.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:47 am

bakemono wrote:i don't think it reversed anything.

58/59 was much more manageable.

Hell, 57 as a test was perhaps the most well-roundedly difficult test EVER(LR, LR, RC... all were above average- hard). I still don't get the big deal with mauve dinosaurs, the deduction was beyond obvious for anyone who's done a couple of in/out grouping games, and there are literally around 30-40 of them in LSAT history. I actually found game 4 to be the more difficult game. I guess diff. opinions.

The dinos game is just time consuming. I can do some ~10 minute games in 7 and still can't do the dinos in under 10 (I can even do the snakes & lizards game faster). The trick was really to skip it, do the last game first and then if you have to guess on dinos, hope you guess right.

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

anxiety over my performance on this game almost made me cancel my score

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:28 am

FUCK THE DINOSAURS!!! RAWRRRR

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 am

Stringer Bell wrote:Search the June LSAT thread. There were ALOT of negative feelings about the dino game.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm going to invent a time machine, go back in time and wipe out all dinosaurs before they exist so some asshole can't make this game hundreds of millions of years later

Forcier

Postby Forcier » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Man just took this this morning. Dinos was definitely a time suck but I'm really glad it was game 3 and not 4. I ended up with less than 7 minutes to finish the last game and had to try to beat the buzzer on the last question which I ended up getting wrong. -1 for LG.

Had Dinos been last I know I would have used at least 2 extra minutes on the actual last game and that would have been bad for Dinos. I think I did well on it because I wasn't overly worried that I didn't have a great diagram before I started. I used to spend way too much time even on basic linear trying to make sure I had all the deductions before I attacked the questions. Within the first two questions on Dinos it was obvious that Muave took up two spots out of four.

Now if I could stop getting -5s on RC I'd be a 175+ LSATer!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”