The Official February 2010 Waiting Thread

Mr. Matlock

Re: The Official February 2010 Waiting Thread

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 pm

If we were getting scores tonight, our boxes wouldve updated already.

I am betting on tomorrow.

lesak1313

Postby lesak1313 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Any chance that the February 20th makeup scores will be released with the February 6th scores, or will they definitely be released after? Tomorrow will be 6 days since the makeup, yesterday was the last day to cancel and I heard that they might be handscored. How long could that really take? I would love to wait only 6 days for my score.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:25 pm

GoTribe1 wrote:What's funny is that TLSers are generally so familiar with the admissions criteria for the schools they're applying to/are interested in that when each of us receives our respective score we will know immediately the implications it has on our cycle (or potentially future cycle) without having to go through the motions of plugging it into a predictor...

I mean, we will anyway, but it's not like we haven't checked every possible LSAT combination with our GPAs already--so it will really just be a reminder. Meaning, for just about all of us, all this anticipation is for a moment of revelation that will last about one second.

I have plugged in everything from 155 to 180, then even went up to 182 to see what it would take for an admit to Yale haha. When I get my score, I will know exactly what it means. Most likely it will mean a June retake and a Fall 2011 beginning date.
Last edited by Pricer on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 pm

If I check this thread in the morning (and I will) and nobody has gotten their score I am quite certain I will feel too sick to my stomach to show up at my meeting.

Text twist will not get me through an entire weekend...nor will the alcohol in my house.

I agree 100% with the GRE posting. Finishing that test was like ripping a bandaid off. They ask you if you are SURE you are ready to submit...then ask again...then warn you that your score is coming. Before you have time to get all dramatic you're walking out of the test center. ****hint hint LSAC :wink: ****

nikkei325i

Postby nikkei325i » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Unless I get a 168 I am going to join you in the next application cycle. :P

Pricer wrote:
GoTribe1 wrote:What's funny is that TLSers are generally so familiar with the admissions criteria for the schools they're applying to/are interested in that when each of us receives our respective score we will know immediately the implications it has on our cycle (or potentially future cycle) without having to go through the motions of plugging it into a predictor...

I mean, we will anyway, but it's not like we haven't checked every possible LSAT combination with our GPAs already--so it will really just be a reminder. Meaning, for just about all of us, all this anticipation is for a moment of revelation that will last about one second.

I have plugged in everything from 155 to 180, then even went up to 182 to see what it would take for an admin to Yale haha. When I get my score, I will know exactly what it means. Most likely it will mean a June retake and a Fall 2011 beginning date.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:35 pm

jdhopeful2010 wrote:If I check this thread in the morning (and I will) and nobody has gotten their score I am quite certain I will feel too sick to my stomach to show up at my meeting.

Text twist will not get me through an entire weekend...nor will the alcohol in my house.

I agree 100% with the GRE posting. Finishing that test was like ripping a bandaid off. They ask you if you are SURE you are ready to submit...then ask again...then warn you that your score is coming. Before you have time to get all dramatic you're walking out of the test center. ****hint hint LSAC :wink: ****

GMAT is the same way. Instant score.

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 pm

During my nap, I had a dream that my score was sent to my e-mail but I could only see the percentile, and not the score. I'm ready for this to be over with.

We need more funny pictures.

sandahs

Postby sandahs » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Just talked to my sister's husband who works at the LSAC and he said the scores won't come out till Monday b/c of the snow storms.

jdhopeful2010

Postby jdhopeful2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm

sandahs wrote:Just talked to my sister's husband who works at the LSAC and he said the scores won't come out till Monday b/c of the snow storms.

well thanks for busting balls

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Pricer wrote:
jdhopeful2010 wrote:If I check this thread in the morning (and I will) and nobody has gotten their score I am quite certain I will feel too sick to my stomach to show up at my meeting.

GMAT is the same way. Instant score.

You can also take the GMAT or GRE practically any day of the year. When I took the GMAT, I decided to take it one afternoon, registered for it that evening, and took it the next morning.

Of course, as much as it would be awesome to walk out of the testing center with your score in hand, this is entirely unfeasible for the LSAT. It would require a fundamental change in the nature of the test. On the GMAT, you start a section with a question of average difficulty. Based on whether your answer is correct, the next question is either harder or easier. (This also means that you can't skip a question and come back to it.) There are pools of literally thousands of questions from which the computer can choose, so the test can be administered throughout the year with no hiccups.

For the LSAT, LSAC would have to either (1) create hundreds of tests per year rather than four, (2) find a way to ensure that test sites would all have the computers, software, firewalling/encryption, etc. to properly administer the test (as the existing dedicated computer-based testing centers surely do not have the capacity to accommodate the roughly 35,000 students who sit for each LSAT administration), or (3) completely change the format of the test to be like that of the GMAT (i.e. every examinee's test is different). #3 would be especially difficult, as the LSAT is the only standardized test of which I am aware where the section time limits are a factor for even the highest scorers. Making sure that each examinee's complement of LG's or RC passages requires roughly the same amount of time in addition to being of properly balanced difficulty would be a nightmare.

All of that said, the test is a freaking Scantron. 20 days?! Even assuming a slow roll from USPS, there is no good reason of which I'm aware why it should take more than 7-10 days to release scores. Program the serial number, check for the written statement, run the test through the Scantron machine, scan and upload images of both sides of the sheet. We're talking about a three-minute process, max. Get on the ball, LSAC!

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:15 pm

sandahs wrote:Just talked to my sister's husband who works at the LSAC and he said the scores won't come out till Monday b/c of the snow storms.

I just talked to my garbage man who's wife is related to Houdini and he said that the scores are coming out tomorrow.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:(2) find a way to ensure that test sites would all have the computers, software, firewalling/encryption, etc. to properly administer the test (as the existing dedicated computer-based testing centers surely do not have the capacity to accommodate the roughly 35,000 students who sit for each LSAT administration)

You make that sound like a big number.

Let's say there's 240 days per year, Monday through Friday that you could sit the test. Other weekdays are holidays or snow days etc. Then estimate 130,000 taking the LSAT per year, that's 542 people a day. There's probably more than 540 Prometric sites in the US.

The capacity to accommodate the LSAT in existing computerized test centers already exists. I'd be astonished if the folk at LSAC aren't already working rapidly towards this. They have loads of unused international tests, many non-disclosed February tests and Saturday sabbath tests as well as all the experimental sections from which to draw. Computerized tests means no more worrying about snow days and their costs would be massively reduced.

Hopefully they will provide plenty of advance warning when the switch does come. It would suck to have spent six months preparing for a paper test then find out it will be in a completely different format.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 am

So I decided that if I don't get into my top two choices I will be getting a one year degree and then applying again for 2011. I have two passions, both polar opposites---i guess its not all bad if I get to do one while waiting to be admitted into the other?

Guess we'll see tomorrow.

This decision makes waiting for my score much less stressful though. I have resigned to fate.

so_confused

Postby so_confused » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:16 am

When will I get my 180! :twisted:

so_confused

Postby so_confused » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 am

so_confused wrote:When will I get my 180! [strike]:twisted:[/strike] :lol:

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:19 am

so_confused wrote:

Well I just dropped $3.99 a minute to talk to Miss Cleo and she said that the scores will come out when the moon is facing the horizon. She also told me I was 6 months pregnant....I'm a man.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:42 am

Had a dream that the percentiles changed in my LSAT profile. Woke up and check my account. Nope.

I looked back through some PTs. I should have taken this in June 2008. -2. Good times.

I really hope it's tomorrow. Can't do this over the weekend. Dreaming about the LSAT *after* taking it is too much.

msesquire2b

Postby msesquire2b » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:47 am

soupbone wrote:
so_confused wrote:

Well I just dropped $3.99 a minute to talk to Miss Cleo and she said that the scores will come out when the moon is facing the horizon. She also told me I was 6 months pregnant....I'm a man.

Hahahaha

HDAU

Postby HDAU » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:53 am

Good luck everybody! I hope LSAClause comes tonight while we are all sleeping!

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:53 am

Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snuffie

Postby Snuffie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:04 am

HDAU wrote:Good luck everybody! I hope LSAClause comes tonight while we are all sleeping!

+1 and back at you HDAU!

PigNipple

Postby PigNipple » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:13 am

Relientkate wrote:During my nap, I had a dream that my score was sent to my e-mail but I could only see the percentile, and not the score. I'm ready for this to be over with.

We need more funny pictures.

That's pretty much sentiment, which is why I will sum up my feelings about getting my score with, drum roll please . . . a funny picture!
The choice of whether or not to open my lsat email.

so_confused

Postby so_confused » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:31 am

msesquire2b wrote:
soupbone wrote:
so_confused wrote:

Hahahaha

Darn. That means I can't trust her for revealing I scored a 180 on the LSAT. *ouch*

soupbone

Postby soupbone » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”