The Official February 2010 Waiting Thread

macaulian

Re: The Official February 2010 Waiting Thread

Postby macaulian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Anyone else hit 178?

nikkei325i

Postby nikkei325i » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Well how do I do that? Do I have to be accepted to a lower ranked school to do it because my chances at ALL schools has been greatly diminished because of this exam. I seriously do not know what happened, but rest assured it WILL NOT happen again.

albanach wrote:
nikkei325i wrote:I cannot take the LSAT more than 3 times in a 2 year period. FML.

Plenty of folk have taken it more than three times in 2 years. If you really think next time will be better, get a lower ranked school to write to LSAC and you can take the test once more.

But it's only going to be worthwhile if you really think you can change something and get close to the score you desire.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:20 pm

msesquire2b wrote:May I ask what you did to study the second time around?

Well, I teach the LSAT for the Princeton Review, so I'm a little bit of a weird case. I've been doing LSAT problems (and explaining them to people) more or less continuously for about four years. But basically, in addition to doing the same LSAT questions over and over and over again ad nauseam, I took PTs 57 and 58 to see the recent trends. I'd already done everything through 56, so all of that was familiar, and then I did 57 and 58 and would've done 59 had I not 180-ed on 58 (figured that'd be a good note to go into the test on).

But I really think that people underestimate the utility of doing questions repeatedly. It helped me.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:18 am

nikkei325i wrote:Well how do I do that? Do I have to be accepted to a lower ranked school to do it because my chances at ALL schools has been greatly diminished because of this exam. I seriously do not know what happened, but rest assured it WILL NOT happen again.

No, you don't need to be accepted. From what you're saying, fall 2010 is out the equation for you, so you have plenty of time.

Pick some schools that you would consider, but that are lower down the table. T14 schools will be a reach now anyway. Take four or five, and email their admissions office. Say you like their school, but feel you under performed and ask very nicely if they would request from LSAC permission for you to retake a fourth time.

Keep it brief, these folks are busy. Don't bug them. If none of them bite after a couple of weeks, email another five lower down the table. Someone will write for you. Then you can retake in June or, perhaps even better in October.

CEO

Postby CEO » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:28 am

Got caught up in all the excitement, 1st post on here.

After giving up on Friday, I finally got my score: 162, improvement from 153 in Dec!!!
And I'm still thinking of retaking ;)

There is HOPE my friends!

My words can't describe how I feel right now, I would like to share this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxl9EI9YBg

las479

Postby las479 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:40 am

Had to share my joy with everyone: went from a 154 in December to a 172 today! Quite happy with myself right now.

Glad to hear about all of these successes and the positive attitudes from those who didn't do as well as they hoped.

robb0106

Postby robb0106 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:05 am

man...i got a 166...it is a pretty good score, but i had done better on practice tests...i was counting on this score to make me feel good because my girlfriend just dumped me...really wanted a 170, but i don't think i am going to retake it, i mean it is such a small difference...i don't know. anyone know if a lsat class would help? i studied using the lsac books for a month and a half and felt pretty good...but i can't really afford a class especially if it won't help that much...once again, i don't know what to do...

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:02 am

Pretty bummed out. I only improved a point from Sep 2009 even though I was PTing in the high 170s! But this was my third time, and I'm worried a fourth time would look REALLY bad.

Snuffie

Postby Snuffie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:21 am

fidesverita wrote:Pretty bummed out. I only improved a point from Sep 2009 even though I was PTing in the high 170s! But this was my third time, and I'm worried a fourth time would look REALLY bad.

I'm going through something similar. Be honest with yourself. Figure out if there's some reason you just aren't scoring close to the PTs (e.g. are you giving yourself 'the benefit of the doubt,' extra time, partial credit, breaks in between sections, etc). If there's an identifiable reason, and you feel certain that your score will improve, then taking it a fourth time probably won't hurt you. Worst case scenario they'll average the scores.

I was worried about taking it a 4th time. Someone used the term "minor negative soft" and I think that's about all it would be. In the end, it is a numbers game, and the school wants to report LSAT scores that help them move up the ranks.

Use your own best judgment, but whatever you do, best of luck!

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:22 am

robb0106 wrote:man...i got a 166...it is a pretty good score, but i had done better on practice tests...i was counting on this score to make me feel good because my girlfriend just dumped me...really wanted a 170, but i don't think i am going to retake it, i mean it is such a small difference...i don't know. anyone know if a lsat class would help? i studied using the lsac books for a month and a half and felt pretty good...but i can't really afford a class especially if it won't help that much...once again, i don't know what to do...

You sound like you're reaching really reaching out.

There, there.

ljbc03

Postby ljbc03 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 am

i scored 1 pt higher on test day than on my diagnostic before pricey kaplan and shitload on prep books.

i don't know how this is possible. i studied for months, mastered logic games (at first i was getting several wrong, but got it down to -0 or -1 + i got better sense of LR). i know on test day i was nervous and froze during games, but still--i felt very prepared for test and was testing 9-14 pts high, and average of prob 10/11 points higher on all PTs and i took all of them, most twice... i know i need to do better RC--well off to the books.

robb-a class isn't nec -- esp since u already have an OK score. most of the class lessons will seem basic for you. i wld suggest self studying, but honestly, a retake cld help.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:24 am

robb0106 wrote:man...i got a 166...it is a pretty good score, but i had done better on practice tests...i was counting on this score to make me feel good because my girlfriend just dumped me...really wanted a 170, but i don't think i am going to retake it, i mean it is such a small difference...i don't know. anyone know if a lsat class would help? i studied using the lsac books for a month and a half and felt pretty good...but i can't really afford a class especially if it won't help that much...once again, i don't know what to do...

If you're scoring in the high 160s, a class is unlikely to help you, you already have the basic principles.

Where are you going wrong? Are you getting -0 on LG? If not, then you should be able to get there by June just by buying all LG sections from Cambridge LSAT and doing them continually, interspersed with some RC and LR to keep you fresh.

If you're dropping on LR, again find the question types that are problems and learn them so well you could write them for LSAC.

You only need to find another five or six correct answers. And a 170 is a big difference from a 166 in terms of schools and or money.

ljbc03

Postby ljbc03 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 am

Did you go through the cambridge question type bundles? Pls advise?

My PTs leading up to Feb were around 165, ranging from 161-178...(large range, mostly due to RC/stress). Month before test, I was consistently high 160s/low 170s. I choked on test day and under preformed.

i studied all PTs, many i took and analyzed twice...

wld you recommend cambridge question types?? how did u go about ur studies?

SoCalKevin

Postby SoCalKevin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:42 am

OK, so this was my first and only try for the cycle. Score was decent, but I think I'm 50/50 of getting in where I applied. So...am I better off letting it ride and if I don't make it try again next cycle, or withdrawing first? I assume if I apply and don't make it, I have to start all over on the PS and LORs?

tikiman6

Postby tikiman6 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:14 pm

macaulian wrote:Anyone else hit 178?

Specifically, no, but some people hit 179 and 180.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:20 pm

ljbc03 wrote:Did you go through the cambridge question type bundles? Pls advise?

My PTs leading up to Feb were around 165, ranging from 161-178...(large range, mostly due to RC/stress). Month before test, I was consistently high 160s/low 170s. I choked on test day and under preformed.

i studied all PTs, many i took and analyzed twice...

wld you recommend cambridge question types?? how did u go about ur studies?

I'm not sure who this is aimed at. If you're not scoring -0 on LG, you need that to be a target. I went up 7 points between Dec and Feb and didn't restart my studies until after the new year. I massively underperformed in LG in Dec, but even dropping a few points there can be fixed and make a big difference.

If RC is the problem, you need to read read and read some more. Your reading speed has to be really quick if you're to have a hope of mastering this. And if you're aiming for 170+, you really can't afford to only tackle three of the four passages.

Get the something like 101 Passages in McAt Verbal Reasoning. They style is a bit different, but you can use those up to improve your speed and accuracy before going on to use up past tests.

ljbc03

Postby ljbc03 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Great thanks for suggestions, albanach

elduderino

Postby elduderino » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:18 pm

How many times do you have to hit the refresh button on the LSAT status page until your score goes up?

Soon2BeNYLawStudent

Postby Soon2BeNYLawStudent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:11 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:I did horrid. I genuinely believe I got 10 wrong on LG a section I've never gotten more than 1 wrong b4 ever.
I scored a shit ton lower than
any PT I've ever taken

I just want to die :(

Right there with yah. I guess I gotta retake, shit...was really looking forward to being done with this. Sooooo bummed right now. I just don't get it, I have a 3.88 g.p.a., and studied really hard for this test. I work full-time, so I would go into work two hours earlier to do practice sections, then review those sections after work. Then I would do full practice on Saturday mornings, and review what I missed on Saturday and Sunday.

Took the 2/6 exam in NYC, at PACE, and knew the LG's were difficult on this test, but didn't think I made any errors on the rest of the sections. That feeling must have been totally off. Any idea how the "curve" worked for this test? I'm so confused by how I got a score so much lower than any practice test I've ever taken.

Maybe I'm not doing something right when I'm studying. For those who did see a huge jump (9 points or more), what is your best advice for those of us who have to retake it in either June or October? Also, which date do you suggest we retake, June or October? I'm just really bummed because I wanted to apply for this admissions cycle, but there is no school that would take the score I have (don't ask me what it is.)
Last edited by Soon2BeNYLawStudent on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soon2BeNYLawStudent

Postby Soon2BeNYLawStudent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:15 pm

kilo21 wrote:HOLY FUCK!!! 169 UP FROM 148!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!! How did you do it. I gotta retake, shit...was really looking forward to being done with this. Sooooo bummed right now. I just don't get it, I have a 3.88 g.p.a., and studied really hard for this test. I work full-time, so I would go into work two hours earlier to do practice sections, then review those sections after work. Then I would do full practice on Saturday mornings, and review what I missed on Saturday and Sunday.

Took the 2/6 exam in NYC, at PACE, and knew the LG's were difficult on this test, but didn't think I made any errors on the rest of the sections. That feeling must have been totally off. Any idea how the "curve" worked for this test? I'm so confused by how I got a score so much lower than any practice test I've ever taken.

Maybe I'm not doing something right when I'm studying. What is your best advice for those of us who have to retake it in either June or October? Also, which date do you suggest we retake, June or October? I'm just really bummed because I wanted to apply for this admissions cycle, but there is no school that would take the score I have (don't ask me what it is.)

Soon2BeNYLawStudent

Postby Soon2BeNYLawStudent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:19 pm

kacee wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:Wish I knew how to post the image, but 180!

fuck yeah dude. big congrats!!! jealoussss.

Shit...am very jealous. How did you prepare? I'm slowly getting back my motivation to start preparing again. When you reviewed what you got wrong, how did you go about it? Either way, best of luck to you. Where you applying?

Soon2BeNYLawStudent

Postby Soon2BeNYLawStudent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Miznitic wrote:I'm most happy. I took this last Feb 2009 and got a 141 with really crummy studying. I decided to wait a year, do every lsat preptest I could find multiple times, practically memorize the three bibles, and I just walked away with a 179. I honestly didn't think I did THAT well as the LG section threw me a bit, or so I thought.

When you reviewed what you got wrong, how did you go about it? What do you mean by crummy studying in Feb 2009? How did you change your study habits for the last year? I scored MUCH lower than any practice test that I have ever done. How did you find the motivation to start studying again? I'm so bummed. Any advice you can give would be helpful.

Sammi

Postby Sammi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:13 pm

I bombed. :(

But I am re-taking in June. I scored below my diagnostic on this one...

so I'm going to register for power score lsat prep classes. I used the books and really like the strategies, something is obviously not "clicking" with me... I was 165+ on PTs so... I'm going balls to the wall on this last effort for fall 2011. See y'all in the June thread.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:09 pm

I figured I wasn't going to pull out some great score, it's my first time taking the test, so I was planning on taking June. Now I am excited to get into it because I gave myself so little time. Good luck, see some of you here again in a few months. I took a class, but now I am going old school, just like those who improved said. Test and analyze, rest, repeat.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:33 pm

WWAD wrote:I figured I wasn't going to pull out some great score, it's my first time taking the test, so I was planning on taking June. Now I am excited to get into it because I gave myself so little time. Good luck, see some of you here again in a few months. I took a class, but now I am going old school, just like those who improved said. Test and analyze, rest, repeat.

also, best advice I ever read on this board for lr improvement is writing out the stimulus, stem, and every answer choice for every question you get wrong. the improvement is almost instant. when you write the questions like that, it really helps you pick up on the trickiness.

I dont know how the hell I got a 166 on a test that I ran out of time on my strongest section (rc--read and did questions for the final passage at 5 min call--and also didnt finish games and had to guess on 4) but I think it was prob the result of doing REALLY well on lr, maybe -0 (damn undisclosed test, i really want to know). I def think anyone thats retaking should try this method out. works wonders.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”