Where do you suppose TLS regulars rank among ave LSAT-ers? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
SoCalKevin

New

Where do you suppose TLS regulars rank among ave LSAT-ers?

Post by SoCalKevin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 pm

All I see on this board are people stressing that they might not be able to crack 170. I can't imagine that's typical of everyone taking the test on a given day...or maybe I'm just being optimistic in anticipation of this Saturday. :lol:

los blancos

Platinum

Re: Where do you suppose TLS regulars rank among ave LSAT-ers?

Post by los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Well, 170 is 97th percentile (I think). That gives you an indication of the nature of this site.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 pm

SoCalKevin wrote:All I see on this board are people stressing that they might not be able to crack 170. I can't imagine that's typical of everyone taking the test on a given day...or maybe I'm just being optimistic in anticipation of this Saturday. :lol:
Everyone is different. I had a friend shooting for a 150.

Steven Perry

New

Post by Steven Perry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Well considering the extra effort it would take to track down this message board, register, read, and post, I think that it could be reasonable to say that many posters tend to be the test-takers that go above and beyond what most do. The fact that the members on this forum researched what they needed to do to get into the top law schools may be indicative of the overall effort they put into the test, which would place them on the favorable end of the bell curve.

SoCalKevin

New

Post by SoCalKevin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Steven Perry wrote:Well considering the extra effort it would take to track down this message board, register, read, and post, I think that it could be reasonable to say that many posters tend to be the test-takers that go above and beyond what most do. The fact that the members on this forum researched what they needed to do to get into the top law schools may be indicative of the overall effort they put into the test, which would place them on the favorable end of the bell curve.

I like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jonas586

New

Post by jonas586 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
SoCalKevin wrote:All I see on this board are people stressing that they might not be able to crack 170. I can't imagine that's typical of everyone taking the test on a given day...or maybe I'm just being optimistic in anticipation of this Saturday. :lol:
Everyone is different. I had a friend shooting for a 150.
You need to find new friends

Steven Perry

New

Post by Steven Perry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:01 pm

If you mean what I'm thinking...wow.

Now I feel the need to point out that Barack Obama was not only accepted to Harvard Law, but was also president of the Harvard Law Review. Granted, fromer NY governor Elliot Spitzer scored a 180 on his LSAT, so go figure.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Everyone knows the most fun friends score very high on LSATs...

But really, I can't imagine what kind of tool would write something like "you need to find new friends" because of their LSAT goals.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:Everyone knows the most fun friends score very high on LSATs...

But really, I can't imagine what kind of tool would write something like "you need to find new friends" because of their LSAT goals.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 pm

likemiketysonbigass wrote:You're mean!
Couldn't he have some black frds :)
inappropriate.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:12 pm

sharthree wrote:
inappropriate.
+2

jonas586

New

Post by jonas586 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 pm

LOL at the hypersensitivity ITT.

We're talking about LSAT elitism and how no one on TLS seems to score below a 170. I was mearly playing into the elitism by mirroring the TLS stereotype. Do I really think SB needs to find new friends? No. In retrospect I probably should have used an emoticon to indicate I was joking. Joke fail, I'm sorry.

Also, to OP. I don't think the LSAT neuroticism found on TLS is typical of everyone you will be taking the test with this saturday. I spoke with several people before and after the test about what they did to prepare and was surprised by how many did little to no preparation.

quasi-stellar

New

Post by quasi-stellar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 am

I would also like to point out that LSAC thoroughly measures all questions via experimental sections prior to releasing new test forms for each administration. Knowing how people would respond to those questions allows them to create tests with similar difficulties. In other words, the tests contain X amount of questions in which, say only 20% of test takers are able to choose the correct answer and so forth. So basically, LSAT is designed that way.
As to the question regarding the TLS population... they have to be smarter/better prepared than average. But then again, those who report 170+ scores are just a fraction of this forum's members.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:05 am

quasi-stellar wrote:I would also like to point out that LSAC thoroughly measures all questions via experimental sections prior to releasing new test forms for each administration. Knowing how people would respond to those questions allows them to create tests with similar difficulties. In other words, the tests contain X amount of questions in which, say only 20% of test takers are able to choose the correct answer and so forth. So basically, LSAT is designed that way.
As to the question regarding the TLS population... they have to be smarter/better prepared than average. But then again, those who report 170+ scores are just a fraction of this forum's members.
I like your avatar.

washed out

New

Post by washed out » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:28 am

It isn't any-law-school.com/forums

I applied to a school outside the top 50, according to some national rankings. I found this board to have been extremely useful, at times crucial to my preparation toward applying for law school. It helped me go from a 149 to a 160 LSAT and motivated me to take my application as seriously as if I were applying to T14s. That mindset alone was beneficial.

I was PT'ing around 154-155 and would have been happy with a 157 on gameday. I got +5 on the Dec. 09 LSAT, supposedly the hardest test in years.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 pm

boilercat wrote:Well, 170 is 97th percentile (I think). That gives you an indication of the nature of this site.
My friend got a 170 and it said he was in the 98th percentile. I don't know how all of that works, but that is what it said on his LSAC score report page.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:06 pm

Steven Perry wrote:If you mean what I'm thinking...wow.

Now I feel the need to point out that Barack Obama was not only accepted to Harvard Law, but was also president of the Harvard Law Review. Granted, fromer NY governor Elliot Spitzer scored a 180 on his LSAT, so go figure.
not in any way supporting what a previous poster said, but couldn't it be very true that obama bombed (as in mid 160s) his LSAT. Obviously, making Harvard Law Review has nothing to do with someone's LSAT score after they get accepted into Harvard (or any other law school for that matter).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:15 pm

sarlis wrote:

not in any way supporting what a previous poster said, but couldn't it be very true that obama bombed (as in mid 160s) his LSAT. Obviously, making Harvard Law Review has nothing to do with someone's LSAT score after they get accepted into Harvard (or any other law school for that matter).
It seems unlikely that someone who bombed an LSAT could go on to perform so highly. By all accounts the man was a legal superstar, and eventually taught at Chicago (which I think is more indicative of brains and legal reasoning than being President). Either way, the original post was racist. Plain and simple.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:32 pm

jks289 wrote:
sarlis wrote:

It seems unlikely that someone who bombed an LSAT could go on to perform so highly. By all accounts the man was a legal superstar, and eventually taught at Chicago (which I think is more indicative of brains and legal reasoning than being President). Either way, the original post was racist. Plain and simple.
+1.

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:38 pm

My mouth literally dropped when I read this. And even though I hoped you were joking, I couldn't find the humor in this. Racism at its finest because you find it amusing to joke like this... *disgust* (where's that mood face when you need it!)

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Well, this thread died.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”