Am I an idiot for taking the test cold?? (3rd time)

jks289

Am I an idiot for taking the test cold?? (3rd time)

Postby jks289 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:35 pm

I did minimal prep for the June 2009 test. Took the class but was distracted by planning a wedding and work, and knew I would retake. Was PTing around 168 and ended up with a 163. Fail. So I buckled down, retook the class, was PTing from 175-179. Took September 2009 and walked out feeling golden. Scored a 168. I am languishing on waitlists (GTown, UCLA, Cornell) and registered for this weekend's test on a whim. Am I an idiot? Is this a godawful idea? For what it is worth, this first test I scored -10 on games alone, and did well on the rest of the test. The second time, I did -2 on games, and awful on LR. I feel like maybe if I eliminate the stress factor, brush up a little this week, it all might come together a third time. Thoughts?

stratocophic

Re: Am I an idiot for taking the test cold?? (3rd time)

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:40 pm

jks289 wrote:I did minimal prep for the June 2009 test. Took the class but was distracted by planning a wedding and work, and knew I would retake. Was PTing around 168 and ended up with a 163. Fail. So I buckled down, retook the class, was PTing from 175-179. Took September 2009 and walked out feeling golden. Scored a 168. I am languishing on waitlists (GTown, UCLA, Cornell) and registered for this weekend's test on a whim. Am I an idiot? Is this a godawful idea? For what it is worth, this first test I scored -10 on games alone, and did well on the rest of the test. The second time, I did -2 on games, and awful on LR. I feel like maybe if I eliminate the stress factor, brush up a little this week, it all might come together a third time. Thoughts?

Stress kept me from sleeping the night before I took it the first time (September), and I scored right around the range of your second test. Armed with a score good enough to be a serviceable backup, I slept like a baby before the December exam and jumped 6 points because I experienced no stress whatsoever during the test. I didn't study very much at all for round 2, two or three PTs and a quick review of the Bibles. Go in and kill it this time.

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:41 pm

There are advantages to doing it this way. Good luck.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:41 pm

jks289 wrote:I did minimal prep for the June 2009 test. Took the class but was distracted by planning a wedding and work, and knew I would retake. Was PTing around 168 and ended up with a 163. Fail. So I buckled down, retook the class, was PTing from 175-179. Took September 2009 and walked out feeling golden. Scored a 168. I am languishing on waitlists (GTown, UCLA, Cornell) and registered for this weekend's test on a whim. Am I an idiot? Is this a godawful idea? For what it is worth, this first test I scored -10 on games alone, and did well on the rest of the test. The second time, I did -2 on games, and awful on LR. I feel like maybe if I eliminate the stress factor, brush up a little this week, it all might come together a third time. Thoughts?

Are you absolutely 100%, no matter what happens, going to law school in August 2010?

If Yes: Well you should have studied, and you still can take June for really late waitlist movement, but its not the worst thing ever.

If No: This is really dumb. Take an absence (not a cancel) study for June and see what happens. With a big jump reapply. With a small jump just take the wait list acceptances you'll get.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:44 pm

Does LSAC automatically update schools if you take the Feb LSAT after applying?

I am tempted to sign up for this weekend, take a PT on Thursday, and just go for it. I'm 3 questions from being a CCN lock...

The problem is that if I get a job offer, I could very well end up delaying law school by a year or two, so it's just not worth the risk I think.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Are you absolutely 100%, no matter what happens, going to law school in August 2010?

If Yes: Well you should have studied, and you still can take June for really late waitlist movement, but its not the worst thing ever.

If No: This is really dumb. Take an absence (not a cancel) study for June and see what happens. With a big jump reapply. With a small jump just take the wait list acceptances you'll get.

I am already into schools I would attend, so yes it is 2010 or bust. My thought was I might have a similar experience to barrinmb. That obviously I know the test well enough, so the only thing I could do different was eliminate burnout and stress. But I am suddenly having last minute doubts.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If Yes: Well you should have studied, and you still can take June for really late waitlist movement, but its not the worst thing ever.

You can't take the LSAT more than three times in two years. If the OP screws this one up, he's screwed for at least next application cycle as well.
Last edited by BenJ on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:47 pm

boilercat wrote:Does LSAC automatically update schools if you take the Feb LSAT after applying?

I am tempted to sign up for this weekend, take a PT on Thursday, and just go for it. I'm 3 questions from being a CCN lock...

The problem is that if I get a job offer, I could very well end up delaying law school by a year or two, so it's just not worth the risk I think.

I think it might be too late to sign up for this weekend, but I am not sure. I see what you mean about not wanting to burn your last shot at the test.

nycsoul87

Postby nycsoul87 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm in a similar position- took Sept 09 got a 166, took Dec 2009 and canceled. Went on vacation to Mexico and decided to just do apps next cycle.

So now I'm looking at taking the February exam with minimal prep but honestly I think I'll be fine. I'm gonna work on LGs a little bit more and I'm taking one last PT tomorrow but so long as I can get my LG timing back, I should be good on Saturday.

Also, I just got my highest PT score ever (179 on PT 55) so I'm very confident right now. Let's see what happens tomorrow on my last PT though, hopefully that last score wasn't a fluke :/

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:49 pm

BenJ wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:If Yes: Well you should have studied, and you still can take June for really late waitlist movement, but its not the worst thing ever.

You can't take the LSAT more than three times in two years. If the OP screws this one up, he's screwed for at least next application cycle as well.

Technically you can ask for a fouth test with a school's backing. But yes, that is my anxiety. What if somehow I end up wanting to do another cycle. I know that isn't going to happen, but still. Pressure in thinking "this is my last shot."

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:49 pm

jks289 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I am already into schools I would attend, so yes it is 2010 or bust. My thought was I might have a similar experience to barrinmb. That obviously I know the test well enough, so the only thing I could do different was eliminate burnout and stress. But I am suddenly having last minute doubts.

Its not likely to hurt you. Maybe do some light prep today through Thursday just as a refresher. Nothing too hard. Remember it isn't going to hurt you so no need to worry.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:50 pm

BenJ wrote:

Which is why I asked if he was sure he wasn't reapplying next cycle. If he was he shouldn't take the test.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BenJ wrote:

Which is why I asked if he was sure he wasn't reapplying next cycle. If he was he shouldn't take the test.

Hey! I'm a she!! :) But yes, if I was thinking of doing it next year, then this would be a dumb move. Deep down I think it is no lose. But my nerves wanted to see if any of you could come up with a reason why this was a bad idea.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:53 pm

jks289 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I had doubts before I took the December exam as well, but I'm generally calm enough to be near catatonic during standardized tests and they weren't present on game day. The September administration was a huge departure from the norm for me. If standardized tests don't usually bother you, I would go for it. If they tend to make you sweat, it may not be a good idea. Completely depends on personal temperament and your confidence in your prior knowledge of the LSAT.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:57 pm

jks289 wrote:
boilercat wrote:Does LSAC automatically update schools if you take the Feb LSAT after applying?

I think it might be too late to sign up for this weekend, but I am not sure. I see what you mean about not wanting to burn your last shot at the test.

It wouldn't even be about burning my last shot, but I had a mediocre performance first time around and I had to write an addendum. I don't want to go 162->170->166 (for example), in case I decide to apply in the future, because that's an ugly-looking trend.

Right now, though, I'm convinced I'm going to get dinged at my top choice (Berk), and a 2 or 3-point increase would put me at a near-lock for UChicago and give me a good shot at Columbia. That's why it's tempting. That, and both times I got a test that was a bad draw for me (bad ordering for my tastes and an RC experimental). Plus, I would be walking in this time with absolutely no pressure... I already have an acceptance at a place I wouldn't be upset about attending at sticker.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm

barrinmb wrote:
jks289 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I had doubts before I took the December exam as well, but I'm generally calm enough to be near catatonic during standardized tests and they weren't present on game day. The September administration was a huge departure from the norm for me. If standardized tests don't usually bother you, I would go for it. If they tend to make you sweat, it may not be a good idea. Completely depends on personal temperament and your confidence in your prior knowledge of the LSAT.

Thanks. I am actually pretty calm during testing. I know the easy explanation for September was nerves. But honestly, I felt great during the test. That makes me worried that I may not be able to tell that I did bad enough to cancel.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:00 pm

boilercat wrote:
jks289 wrote:

It wouldn't even be about burning my last shot, but I had a mediocre performance first time around and I had to write an addendum. I don't want to go 162->170->166 (for example), in case I decide to apply in the future, because that's an ugly-looking trend.

Right now, though, I'm convinced I'm going to get dinged at my top choice (Berk), and a 2 or 3-point increase would put me at a near-lock for UChicago and give me a good shot at Columbia. That's why it's tempting. That, and both times I got a test that was a bad draw for me (bad ordering for my tastes and an RC experimental). Plus, I would be walking in this time with absolutely no pressure... I already have an acceptance at a place I wouldn't be upset about attending at sticker.

Not to push other's to make the same choices, but it seems like retaking this weekend might be smart for you too. I just feel like luck was really against me last time (on the two or three I was between two answers I picked wrong everytime, etc). And that the third time might be the charm. Good luck on schools. With your number you'll be in somewhere great without a retake.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:03 pm

jks289 wrote:
barrinmb wrote:
jks289 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks. I am actually pretty calm during testing. I know the easy explanation for September was nerves. But honestly, I felt great during the test. That makes me worried that I may not be able to tell that I did bad enough to cancel.

Could be luck of the draw, like Boilercat suggested. I had RC experimental on the September test and it absolutely murdered me for the second half, especially after < 4 hours of sleep the night before. Over 2/3 of my total number missed came after the break because I lost a ton of my ability to focus after doing well on the first 2 sections. That loss was devastating when I had an RC and a LR coming up.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:04 pm

jks289 wrote:
boilercat wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Not to push other's to make the same choices, but it seems like retaking this weekend might be smart for you too. I just feel like luck was really against me last time (on the two or three I was between two answers I picked wrong everytime, etc). And that the third time might be the charm. Good luck on schools. With your number you'll be in somewhere great without a retake.

I did that on the September exam as well. SO frustrating.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:06 pm

barrinmb wrote:Could be luck of the draw, like Boilercat suggested. I had RC experimental on the September test and it absolutely murdered me for the second half, especially after < 4 hours of sleep the night before. Over 2/3 of my total number missed came after the break because I lost a ton of my ability to focus after doing well on the first 2 sections. That loss was devastating when I had an RC and a LR coming up.

Isn't it crazy how something that has a HUGE impact on the future can be "luck of the draw." I don't care how smart you are. Once you are close to 170 and above, a point more or less is luck. Hopefully, I'll get lucky this time!!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:08 pm

jks289 wrote:
boilercat wrote:
jks289 wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking about it. Looking at LSN, however, it seems like the chances of me getting straight-up rejected at any of CCN is low (btw add around .1 and an lsat point to the numbers in my profile to get the real ones). Because I applied late, I think there's a good chance I could be on a couple of WLs come June... That might be the better time to pull something like this.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 pm

jks289 wrote:
barrinmb wrote:Could be luck of the draw, like Boilercat suggested. I had RC experimental on the September test and it absolutely murdered me for the second half, especially after < 4 hours of sleep the night before. Over 2/3 of my total number missed came after the break because I lost a ton of my ability to focus after doing well on the first 2 sections. That loss was devastating when I had an RC and a LR coming up.

Isn't it crazy how something that has a HUGE impact on the future can be "luck of the draw." I don't care how smart you are. Once you are close to 170 and above, a point more or less is luck. Hopefully, I'll get lucky this time!!

Definitely. I drew massive benefit from the crazy December curve, as I missed only slightly below my PT average number of questions and scored about 3 points higher than my average as a result. I still feel like I'd have missed the same number of questions (well, within 1 or 2) that day no matter what test was administered, whether the curve was high or low.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”