Newer LR sections

robin600

Newer LR sections

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Ok, I'm having a really hard time picking the right answer for the newer LR sections like PTs 50 and forward. anything below that I usually get -0 or -2. Now on the newer ones I'm scoring -6, and I can't figure out why. Has anyone else had this problem, and found a way to get over it? I find that the questions from like 18-25/6 are the hardest for me, and I can pre-phase the answer, but I can't seem to find the right one in the answer choices. I guess the language is what's getting me, anyone have any tips for this, it's driving me mad!!!!!!!!!!!

tikiman6

Re: Newer LR sections

Postby tikiman6 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 pm

Actually, I have had the opposite experience. I was scoring -2 ~ -3 on early preptests, and -0 ~ -2 on new ones. This may just be a function of me getting better as I go on, but I still currently score better on new LR's than old ones that I take with new preptests in place of an experimental section.

ps494

Postby ps494 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Some people find them easier and some people find them harder. It's not as cut and dry and LG and RC.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:40 pm

I understand that, but does anyone have advice on how to tackle the newer sections compared to the older ones?

Great Expectations

Postby Great Expectations » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:46 pm

Watch shifts in tone.
Check for changes in qualifiers: most vs some vs any, etc
Solve more questions mechanically

Reread the PS LR Bible, especially chapter 9 on strengthen, justify and assumption. It has some very good points.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:15 pm

Great Expectations wrote:Watch shifts in tone.
Check for changes in qualifiers: most vs some vs any, etc
Solve more questions mechanically

Reread the PS LR Bible, especially chapter 9 on strengthen, justify and assumption. It has some very good points.

Thanks I'll go through that part again. What's the best way to go about identifying shifts in tone, it seems I can't pick it out as good in the newer questions.

Great Expectations

Postby Great Expectations » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am

PT 53 1.19 is a good example of the newer parallel reasoning questions. All the same clauses. different qualifiers.

Tone might not be the most accurate word, although I do think that the tone is more subtle. Maybe it is more that the inferences are more complex. PT 53 3.21 is a good example. the premises lead us to the current site is bad the proposed site is not as bad as some say. Most supported: moving waste reduces threat.

The thing that helps me the most is the mechanically solving. chapter 9 goes over this. Beyond that review the questions you get wrong. Go over them until you understand WHY the correct answer is the correct answer.

ZombiesAhead

Postby ZombiesAhead » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 am

Great Expectations wrote:PT 53 1.19 is a good example of the newer parallel reasoning questions. All the same clauses. different qualifiers.

Tone might not be the most accurate word, although I do think that the tone is more subtle. Maybe it is more that the inferences are more complex. PT 53 3.21 is a good example. the premises lead us to the current site is bad the proposed site is not as bad as some say. Most supported: moving waste reduces threat.

The thing that helps me the most is the mechanically solving. chapter 9 goes over this. Beyond that review the questions you get wrong. Go over them until you understand WHY the correct answer is the correct answer.

This is awesome - these differences are never described around here.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Ch.9 really helps. Most of the time it's not looking at the conclusion to support the answer choice. I think if you take the conclusion to the answer choice, and disregard most everything else (unless needed), it really helps.

I get what you're saying about the tone, and from what I've noticed from the higher 40s is that the tone is drastically different regarding LR, they now are focusing more on tiny words and inferences that wasn't done as much on previous tests. I think this will help me greatly!

Thanks again!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”