PT 59 - Some LR questions

jocelyne

PT 59 - Some LR questions

Postby jocelyne » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:44 pm

Could someone please explain these questions to me?

LR 1: 9, 20 (why is the answer not B?)
LR 2: 21

Thanks!

One week till Feb LSAT....

Cambridge LSAT

Re: PT 59 - Some LR questions

Postby Cambridge LSAT » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Here's the breakdown for #9:
P: member + performer --> [strike]administrator[/strike]; member + administrator --> [strike]performer[/strike]
C: Leon --> member + [strike]administrator[/strike] --> performer; Marta --> member + [strike]administrator[/strike] --> performer

We cannot infer that a member must be one or the other. We only know that a member cannot be both a performer and an administrator.

Here's choice B:
P: employee + accountant --> [strike]corporate attorney[/strike]; employee + corporate attorney --> [strike]accountant[/strike]
C: Ms. Walsh --> accountant + corporate attorney --> [strike]employee[/strike]
This is valid reasoning.

On the other hand, here's choice C:
P: company + Canada --> [strike]Mexico[/strike]; company + Mexico --> [strike]Canada[/strike]
C: Dumone + [strike]Mexico[/strike] --> Canada; Tedenco + [strike]Mexico[/strike] --> Canada

Again, nothing in the premise states that a company must be headquartered in one of these two countries.

KaplanLSATInstructor

Postby KaplanLSATInstructor » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:51 pm

For Q. 20 (in Section I), (B) is incorrect because the investigator doesn't assume a 50% chance of choosing a defective item (as the answer suggests). Instead, the investigator assumes there should be a 5% chance of choosing a defective rate, which seems to be violated by the 20% defective rate of the selections.

Q. 21 (in Section II) is an ugly one. Basically, the correct answer follows because the keyboard was designed to prevent jamming from high-speed typing. Computers don't have the same jamming issues as typewriters did, so keyboards wouldn't have to be created to slow down typers if they were designed for computers.

The most tempting wrong answer is probably (C). However, even if designers did predict the non-jamming computers, they would still have to had designed a keyboard for the typewriters that did jam.

HTH

- Chris

feblsat10

Postby feblsat10 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:11 pm

KaplanLSATInstructor wrote:For Q. 20 (in Section I), (B) is incorrect because the investigator doesn't assume a 50% chance of choosing a defective item (as the answer suggests). Instead, the investigator assumes there should be a 5% chance of choosing a defective rate, which seems to be violated by the 20% defective rate of the selections.

Q. 21 (in Section II) is an ugly one. Basically, the correct answer follows because the keyboard was designed to prevent jamming from high-speed typing. Computers don't have the same jamming issues as typewriters did, so keyboards wouldn't have to be created to slow down typers if they were designed for computers.

The most tempting wrong answer is probably (C). However, even if designers did predict the non-jamming computers, they would still have to had designed a keyboard for the typewriters that did jam.

HTH

- Chris

Why is A wrong? Isn't A supported by the 'Experiments' sentence in the stimulus?

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:58 pm

feblsat10 wrote:
KaplanLSATInstructor wrote:For Q. 20 (in Section I), (B) is incorrect because the investigator doesn't assume a 50% chance of choosing a defective item (as the answer suggests). Instead, the investigator assumes there should be a 5% chance of choosing a defective rate, which seems to be violated by the 20% defective rate of the selections.

HTH

- Chris

Why is A wrong? Isn't A supported by the 'Experiments' sentence in the stimulus?

The experiments show that there exist keyboard configurations that enable people to type significantly more quickly than does the QWERTY configuration. Those configurations may represent 0.1% of the types of keyboard configurations with which people have tried to type. We don't know that "most people who have tried typing with non-QWERTY keyboards have typed significantly more quickly." This answer would be acceptable if it instead said "Most people who have tried typing with at least some non-QWERTY keyboard configurations" As it is, the word "most" without any sort of qualification about the varieties of non-QWERTY keyboards does not enable this answer to hold up to LSAT standards.

Ntyler9

Postby Ntyler9 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:28 pm

I had the same problems as you did with these questions...thanks to those helping to explain!

Did you by any chance find that you did not do as well on 59 as you did on other practice tests? I am trying not to panic as I have been getting consistent 160s on other practice tests and I just took 59 and did substantially worse.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Ntyler9 wrote:I had the same problems as you did with these questions...thanks to those helping to explain!

Did you by any chance find that you did not do as well on 59 as you did on other practice tests? I am trying not to panic as I have been getting consistent 160s on other practice tests and I just took 59 and did substantially worse.

A point or two but nothing too vastly different... Don't worry about any one test too much. By now, you know pretty well your range, so no particular test will predict your score on Sat :-)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”