Can you use same LSAT score for more than one year?

ST7740

Can you use same LSAT score for more than one year?

Postby ST7740 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:39 pm

I have kind of a weird question.

I'll be taking the LSAT next week, and this will be my first LSAT. I'm a senior in college. Now I hear its a pretty late time to take the LSAT so chances are, I will probably not be accepted to any schools because they filled up since September.

My question is, if I get a score that I am satisfied with, would I be able to use it to apply again next fall? (Fall 2011) I understand that I can always retake, but if I do well enough, i'd prefer to keep that test in case I'd do worse, lol.

Thanks.

vanwinkle

Re: Can you use same LSAT score for more than one year?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Yes, your LSAT score remains good for a few years.

bees

Postby bees » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Also, since you seem okay with not starting law school this year, unless you are completely prepared to dominate the LSAT I would hold off on taking it. Some schools average your LSAT scores and some require an addendum explaining a discrepancy between scores. One strong LSAT looks better when it's not accompanied by a weaker score.

Huskrfn127

Postby Huskrfn127 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:43 pm

ST7740 wrote:I have kind of a weird question.

I'll be taking the LSAT next week, and this will be my first LSAT. I'm a senior in college. Now I hear its a pretty late time to take the LSAT so chances are, I will probably not be accepted to any schools because they filled up since September.

My question is, if I get a score that I am satisfied with, would I be able to use it to apply again next fall? (Fall 2011) I understand that I can always retake, but if I do well enough, i'd prefer to keep that test in case I'd do worse, lol.

Thanks.

From what I've seen, the score is good for five years.

ST7740

Postby ST7740 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:43 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Yes, your LSAT score remains good for a few years.

in your opinion guys, how bad are my chances at getting in this year?

I don't have huge aspirations, I'm looking to get into a Tier 4 school, pretty low on the list, however, I score very average on the practice tests I take...in the 150-160 range. My GPA is stellar. Is what I heard about schools filling in correct, or do you think I have a chance at getting in, keeping in mind that I am planning to apply to T4 schools?
I'm not really okay with not starting it this year, I want to go in this year, but I just did not do my research properly and didnt know that this test date is so late for admission?

bees

Postby bees » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:46 pm

ST7740 wrote:

I don't have huge aspirations, I'm looking to get into a Tier 4 school, pretty low on the list, however, I score very average on the practice tests I take...in the 150-160 range. My GPA is stellar. Is what I heard about schools filling in correct, or do you think I have a chance at getting in, keeping in mind that I am planning to apply to T4 schools?
I'm not really okay with not starting it this year, I want to go in this year, but I just did not do my research properly and didnt know that this test date is so late for admission?

You should do some research on job prospects for students that graduate from Tier 4 schools. Unless you have a lot of money you're looking to piss away, you should not go to law school. With a "stellar" GPA and an LSAT of 160+ (study more) you can get into some very good law schools.

Huskrfn127

Postby Huskrfn127 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:46 pm

ST7740 wrote:

LSAT in the 160s + stellar GPA = don't resign yourself to a T4 unless you have extreme circumstances that make it only possible to attend a certain school. You can get into T2 or even 1 schools with a high GPA and even a low 160s score.

ST7740

Postby ST7740 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Huskrfn127 wrote:
ST7740 wrote:

LSAT in the 160s + stellar GPA = don't resign yourself to a T4 unless you have extreme circumstances that make it only possible to attend a certain school. You can get into T2 or even 1 schools with a high GPA and even a low 160s score.

I don't really have the credentials to go to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 school. I have zero extracurricular activities and I dont represent any "underepresented class". All I have is my good grades in all my classes and my LSAT is more in the mid 150's rather than 160's, hence why I look at Tier 4 schools. Feel free to educate me if I'm wrong...

In addition, I'm looking to do Business Law, but I cant seem to find much info on how "that field" is doing right now. My undergraduate degree is in Economics, does that hurt my chances as well? From what I can tell, it doesn't...

bees

Postby bees » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:14 pm

ST7740 wrote:
Huskrfn127 wrote:
ST7740 wrote:

I don't really have the credentials to go to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 school. I have zero extracurricular activities and I dont represent any "underepresented class". All I have is my good grades in all my classes and my LSAT is more in the mid 150's rather than 160's, hence why I look at Tier 4 schools. Feel free to educate me if I'm wrong...

In addition, I'm looking to do Business Law, but I cant seem to find much info on how "that field" is doing right now. My undergraduate degree is in Economics, does that hurt my chances as well? From what I can tell, it doesn't...

Nothing matters but your LSAT and GPA. As long as you did something (i.e. didn't sit on your ass for 4 years of UG) then you're fine. Seriously, do some research on the application process and apply next year.

ST7740

Postby ST7740 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Nothing matters but your LSAT and GPA. As long as you did something (i.e. didn't sit on your ass for 4 years of UG) then you're fine. Seriously, do some research on the application process and apply next year.

Applying next year would also mean I would have to sit on my ass for a year since I'd be done with my undergraduate degree. Doesn't that hurt my chances as well, since it will look bad on my application?

Huskrfn127

Postby Huskrfn127 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Well optimally you wouldn't be just ass-sitting for the whole year, but instead get a job for the time, or do some substantial volunteer work, etc. Then you'd have one more thing to add to your resume and would be in good shape for some top-50 acceptances (assuming your LSAT goes as well as you'd like).

bees

Postby bees » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:20 pm

ST7740 wrote:

Applying next year would also mean I would have to sit on my ass for a year since I'd be done with my undergraduate degree. Doesn't that hurt my chances as well, since it will look bad on my application?

Instead of sitting on your ass you should do something that shows law schools you are serious about law school (or just real life in general). Work, volunteer, study more for the LSAT, etc.

I took a year off between UG and law school (will be starting this year) to study for the LSAT and work (nothing even close to law related, but I needed money). I'm very glad I did it.

ST7740

Postby ST7740 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Huskrfn127 wrote:Well optimally you wouldn't be just ass-sitting for the whole year, but instead get a job for the time, or do some substantial volunteer work, etc. Then you'd have one more thing to add to your resume and would be in good shape for some top-50 acceptances (assuming your LSAT goes as well as you'd like).

Well, from what I have seen, job prospects with a degree in economics are rather poor right now. Some folks I have talked to who graduated with the same degree cannot find anything at all. So, yeah, thats why I am referring to it as "sitting on the ass", lol.
Also, a higher tier school also means a lot more debt, as the lower tier schools I have looked at are noticeably more affordable than the top tier ones? I dont think I would be able to handle part time work and intense law school study at the same time.

Also I did some research earlier about Tier 4 schools that I looked at and it gave me that students from those particular schools generally make on average, $50,000 after graduating, which suits me just fine. Are those statistics lies?

bees

Postby bees » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Job prospects are poor for everybody right now, but not nearly as poor as they are for people who go to Tier 4 law schools. If you are averse to taking on a bunch of debt (probably a smart move) then score higher on your LSAT and apply to some T2 or lower T1 schools that will give you money to attend.

No offense, but it seems like you are going to law school just to go to law school and don't understand that you are going to end up with a J.D. that no one will be willing to hire.

ST7740

Postby ST7740 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:30 pm

bees wrote:Job prospects are poor for everybody right now, but not nearly as poor as they are for people who go to Tier 4 law schools. If you are averse to taking on a bunch of debt (probably a smart move) then score higher on your LSAT and apply to some T2 or lower T1 schools that will give you money to attend.

No offense, but it seems like you are going to law school just to go to law school and don't understand that you are going to end up with a J.D. that no one will be willing to hire.

Thanks for the advice.

I want to go to Law School because I want to do business/contract law since its something I studied at an undergraduate level and really enjoyed. My problem is taking a year off, since I doubt I would be able to find a job with my Undergrad degree...and I am already 2 years late in finishing that year due to medical/health issues that have set me back in graduating on time, so I just dont have that much time.

Sorry if it seems like I am not serious, I am, I just dont know what to do...

Huskrfn127

Postby Huskrfn127 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:34 pm

ST7740 wrote:
bees wrote:Job prospects are poor for everybody right now, but not nearly as poor as they are for people who go to Tier 4 law schools. If you are averse to taking on a bunch of debt (probably a smart move) then score higher on your LSAT and apply to some T2 or lower T1 schools that will give you money to attend.

Thanks for the advice.

I want to go to Law School because I want to do business/contract law since its something I studied at an undergraduate level and really enjoyed. My problem is taking a year off, since I doubt I would be able to find a job with my Undergrad degree...and I am already 2 years late in finishing that year due to medical/health issues that have set me back in graduating on time, so I just dont have that much time.

Sorry if it seems like I am not serious, I am, I just dont know what to do...

Go ahead and take the Feb. LSAT if you want to, and apply this cycle if you absolutely want, but I would agree with bees here, the job market for top school grads these days is limited, let alone T4 grads. If you can go to a school with significant scholarships, maybe it's worth it, but in general T4s aren't too likely to get you an easy job these days.

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Are you guys really going for this?! Total flame.

ST7740

Postby ST7740 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:46 pm

What about going to a T4 for a year (instead of ass sitting), working said ass off and then transferring to a higher tier?
Im guessing, "Higher Tier never takes students from T4"?

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:51 pm

ST7740 wrote:What about going to a T4 for a year (instead of ass sitting), working said ass off and then transferring to a higher tier?
Im guessing, "Higher Tier never takes students from T4"?

From everything I have read and heard, this is never a good strategy. It's very hard to predict success in law school, especially the 1L year, and you'll be competing with others that have the same exact plan. The average age of 1L's is 24-25, so understand that going straight out of UG is not the norm. You'd be much better off getting a 160+ and applying to T1 schools next cycle.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”