-11 or greater curve likely for February?

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

-11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby dbrddr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Curves for the last four released exams have been -11, -11, -11, and -14. We'll never know what the curve for the upcoming February test will be/was, but would anyone like to offer a reasoned prediction?

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:13 pm

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
theZeigs
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby theZeigs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Sorry, newb question, but what does "curve" mean. Like, a -11 means you get a 170? Thanks.
Last edited by theZeigs on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 pm

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
theZeigs
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby theZeigs » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
theZeigs wrote:Sorry, newb question, but what does "curve" mean. Like, a -11 means you get a 170? Thanks.

Correct, the curve means that's the amount you can miss to get a 170. -11 means that if you miss 11, you get a 170. December was -14, so if you missed 14, you got a 170 (actually both 13 and 14 missed were 170's). December was the "hardest" test of the past 4 going by the curve, since the curve is supposed to normalize all the tests.


Thanks for the reply!
Last edited by theZeigs on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby existenz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:55 pm

We could bloviate about this all day, but it doesn't matter because we will probably never learn what the curve on the Feb test will be. Based on history it will be between -9 and -14, with the highest probability between -10 and -12.

I looked through the thread of Feb 2009 results from last year, and it was filled with people trying to figure out what the curve was. It was a total waste of time for all involved. Even if you find out that nobody received a 178 and a 175 it doesn't necessarily mean a -9 curve.

And once again, loose curve ≠ easy test.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:00 pm

i'm sorry, but this thread is an absolute waste of time. no way to figure it out, before or after the test.

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby dbrddr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:46 pm

You guys are misunderstanding me. I'm mainly interested in the reasons behind people's predictions than the predictions themselves. Before the September 2009 test, the guy who writes for the LSAT Ninja blog predicted a curve of -11 or -12, and it turned out to be -11. He reasoned that 1) the crappy economy would lead many people who weren't entirely sure law school was right for them to take the LSAT, and 2) the new 3-week LSAT postponement rule would lead to fewer cancellations than before, meaning more people who would have cancelled just a few days before the test in administrations past would now be sitting for it on test day. If you think these factors (not just abnormal question difficulty exclusively) have contributed to the more recent tests' "lenient" curves, then it's not unreasonable to speculate whether or not these factors will similarly influence the Feb. curve, regardless of the fact that we'll never know for sure what the curve turns out to be.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:48 pm

dbrddr wrote:You guys are misunderstanding me. I'm mainly interested in the reasons behind people's predictions than the predictions themselves. Before the September 2009 test, the guy who writes for the LSAT Ninja blog predicted a curve of -11 or -12, and it turned out to be -11. He reasoned that 1) the crappy economy would lead many people who weren't entirely sure law school was right for them to take the LSAT, and 2) the new 3-week LSAT postponement rule would lead to fewer cancellations than before, meaning more people who would have cancelled just a few days before the test in administrations past would now be sitting for it on test day. If you think these factors (not just abnormal question difficulty exclusively) have contributed to the more recent tests' "lenient" curves, then it's not unreasonable to speculate whether or not these factors will similarly influence the Feb. curve, regardless of the fact that we'll never know for sure what the curve turns out to be.


That guy doesn't know what he is talking about. The performance of other people on the LSAT has no effect on your score. It isn't normalized it is equated.

User avatar
llawguru
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby llawguru » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:50 pm

curve was -15 for February 1999 LSAT.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:27 pm

It's an undisclosed test so we aren't going to know anyway. Why bother?

User avatar
llawguru
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby llawguru » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:20 pm

.
Last edited by llawguru on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forcier
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 am

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby Forcier » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Alright... so how much info do you find out about your score?

I realize it isn't disclosed but what exactly does that mean besides for I won't be able to see which questions I got wrong? Does it tell you how many per section you got wrong? Or do you only get a score and a percentile?

letsdoit1982
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby letsdoit1982 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:33 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:i'm sorry, but this thread is an absolute waste of time. no way to figure it out, before or after the test.



+1 You might as well predict how many questions RC will have.

User avatar
llawguru
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby llawguru » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Forcier wrote:Alright... so how much info do you find out about your score?

I realize it isn't disclosed but what exactly does that mean besides for I won't be able to see which questions I got wrong? Does it tell you how many per section you got wrong? Or do you only get a score and a percentile?


--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: -11 or greater curve likely for February?

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote:
bloodonthetracks wrote:i'm sorry, but this thread is an absolute waste of time. no way to figure it out, before or after the test.



+1 You might as well predict how many questions RC will have.

26!?

At least we'll know if I was right.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, Greenteachurro, Instrumental, VMars and 6 guests