Studying: Just Starting Out

JDHopeful

Studying: Just Starting Out

Postby JDHopeful » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Hey everyone,

I graduated UG in June 2009 and have been working a full-time job ever since. I plan to go to law school in 2011, after working for 2 years. That said, I am planning to take the June 2010 LSAT (and the Sept. 2010, if I screw the first one up).

After surveying and reading, I've determined that the best way to study is to order the 3 PowerScore bibles and take as many practice tests as I can (10+).

To be sure, I can order the bibles off Amazon, or from individuals, and the practice tests can be ordered off the LSAC website, and the most recent tests are the best to take.

Please correct me if any of this is incorrect or if you disagree with this assessment.

Thanks!

NY86

Re: Studying: Just Starting Out

Postby NY86 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Hello. I'm actually in a position similar to yours. I graduated my UG in Jan 2008 and MBA Jan 2009. I've been working full-time and I'm planning to take the LSAT either in June or October so I can apply for law schools starting Fall 2011. Are you considering early decision or regular?

I'm also considering those 3 bibles and practice tests. I've been trying to read through the forum if classes are recommended or self study is sufficient, but sometimes it's best to start up a new topic. Hopefully we can get some responses here.

eye

Postby eye » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 am

Hello

First of all, I'm jealous you guys have some work-experience behind you. I graduate this May and start law school in fall of 2010. If I had something meaningful to do, I would definitely take a gap year and take another shot at the LSAT (I am still amazed how just 1 point on the LSAT can mean the difference between many thousands of dollars in scholarship money! 1 point!!)

With that said, you guys have the general framework down. Scrap the RC Bible though, it's better if you just come up with your own tailored strategy.

Just a few things to keep in mind.

1) Give yourself sufficient time to study.
2) You will have off days, don't let it get to you.
3) Different advice works for different people. There is no absolute method to the top.

With that said, tame this beast and good luck!

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:41 am

NY86 wrote:I'm also considering those 3 bibles and practice tests. I've been trying to read through the forum if classes are recommended or self study is sufficient, but sometimes it's best to start up a new topic. Hopefully we can get some responses here.

In LSAT-speak, classes are typically helpful but not necessary or sufficient in themselves. Classes do structure how to study, though. It is entirely possible to study on your own and get a good score (I did), but many people find it helpful to have someone to ask about the test and to explain the basic methods to them (this is what I do for a living).

Whatever it is that you do, you need a source of technique (a book, a class, or a tutor) and a bunch of practice problems (released PrepTests or the materials that go with a course). No matter what, the bulk of your time should be spent working real LSAT questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”