italian lawyer + jd

ciolellina

italian lawyer + jd

Postby ciolellina » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:14 am

Hi!
I'm an italian lawyer with an italian JD.
I've been thinking a lot about attending a JD program in the US (I thought about NU two-years JD program for international students), but what scares me the most is the LSAT score I have to get.
My english is decent, and I thought I could come to Chicago for about 7 months to study both for TOEFL and LSAT test.
Do you think it could be enough for a non-native speaker?
Do you have an idea about international studens' scores in the LSAT test?
Thank you so much!

pleasetryagain

Re: italian lawyer + jd

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:25 am

this type of Italian?
--ImageRemoved--
or this type of Italian?
--ImageRemoved--

Massimiliano

Postby Massimiliano » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:32 am

di dove sei in italia?

I've always thought the LSAT would be brutal for somebody whose first language is not english. Have you taken a diagnostic yet?

ciolellina

Postby ciolellina » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm from Milano and I'm not Pavarotti :lol:

It's not that easy, the most difficult thing seems to be the timing.

I havent taken a serious simulation yet, I was planning to study first and then test my preparation.

Massimiliano are you italian?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Well, from your typing, your english seems to be good. But yeah, I would think the timing would kill you, especially RC. It's possible to become a faster reader but I'm not sure if it can happen in that timeframe significantly enough to help you do well on the LSAT.

FWIW, though, if you manage a decent score, I wouldn't be shocked if you got into schools you wouldn't get into otherwise (i.e., you may not need a 170 for NU). You're different than virtually every other applicant they get. That said, this is all speculation and I know nothing.

How is NU's reputation in Europe, by the way?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:16 pm

It think you may want to look at a LLM if you already have a JD, but from another country.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:27 pm

jarofsoup wrote:It think you may want to look at a LLM if you already have a JD, but from another country.

Well, if OP's intention is to work in the US, then he or she should definitely try and get a JD rather than the LLM. I am in the same boat as the OP, except that I'll have my law degree from the U.K.

taytay

Postby taytay » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:38 pm

I am not familiar with the American JD programs but are you sure that you have to write the LSAT? At Mcgill in Canada (Its in french speaking Quebec) applicants whose first language is french do not have to write the LSAT since it is only available in English. If your first language is Italian you might want to see if it is necessary to write it at the program you are applying to. Also if you do write it could you not submit and addendum letting them know that English isn't your first language?

ciolellina

Postby ciolellina » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 pm

taytay wrote:I am not familiar with the American JD programs but are you sure that you have to write the LSAT?

The LSAT is required for international students too, I'm sure about that. But of course, as they know english is not our first language, there is not a minimum score required. What I'm trying to understand is the average score for a non-native speaker, but I can't find it anywhere.

LLB2JD wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:It think you may want to look at a LLM if you already have a JD, but from another country.

As LL said, I know that getting the LLM would be easier, but is the JD I'm looking for. I don't want to stay in the us for the rest of my life, but what I desire most is a complete education.
BTW, I guess I'll go for the LLM if I won't reach a satisfying LSAT score.

boilercat wrote:How is NU's reputation in Europe, by the way?
[/quote]

I don't know anything about general reputation in Europe, I'm sorry...I can tell you I know it's a good university, and last summer I attended an intensive course there and it was very nice and complete. Plus, I fell in love with Chicago and that's it.
I know for sure I can't reach T10, and NU seemed to me a good compromise.

Sky'stheLimit

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:01 pm

ciolellina wrote:
taytay wrote:I am not familiar with the American JD programs but are you sure that you have to write the LSAT?

The LSAT is required for international students too, I'm sure about that. But of course, as they know english is not our first language, there is not a minimum score required. What I'm trying to understand is the average score for a non-native speaker, but I can't find it anywhere.

LLB2JD wrote:

As LL said, I know that getting the LLM would be easier, but is the JD I'm looking for. I don't want to stay in the us for the rest of my life, but what I desire most is a complete education.
BTW, I guess I'll go for the LLM if I won't reach a satisfying LSAT score.

boilercat wrote:How is NU's reputation in Europe, by the way?

I don't know anything about general reputation in Europe, I'm sorry...I can tell you I know it's a good university, and last summer I attended an intensive course there and it was very nice and complete. Plus, I fell in love with Chicago and that's it.
I know for sure I can't reach T10, and NU seemed to me a good compromise.[/quote]

NU is ranked #10

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:17 pm

In that case, So I guess going to the LLM should work for you. The good thing though is that if after 1 year and you decide to go for the JD, some schools e.g. WUSTL, Penn, Chicago will allow you to continue, crediting you with the LLM year.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:25 pm

I'd really call an admissions office and ask them these types of questions. The truth is that most of us (almost all of us) are recent American college graduates, or still students even. Your background is somewhat unique, and you're likely to get a more complete answer from the admissions office at Northwestern. If they say you have the same requirements/expectations as us, then come back here and we'll be able to tell you everything you need to know!

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Massimiliano wrote:di dove sei in italia?

I've always thought the LSAT would be brutal for somebody whose first language is not english. Have you taken a diagnostic yet?

Same. I've encountered one or two word that I didn't know what the hell they meant and I'd say I have a fairly large vocabulary. Since then, I've looked up every word that I can't define, no matter which context I see it in. There have been a few words I encountered that I'm glad I looked them up before they tripped me up on the LSAT too ;)

ciolellina

Postby ciolellina » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:24 am

Thank you so much to everyone.

I sent an email to NU international admission's office, and I'm planning to call them within the next two days if they don't answer.

I'll be back when I have news

Thank you again,

Federica

bananaslug

Postby bananaslug » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:57 am

I've lived in the US all my life, but my first language isn't English. I've always thought I had a strong command of it, until my tutor pointed something out. When i read passages or sentences quickly, I often mistake "on" with "in" or other similar and seemingly innocent mistakes (Ex. the dog was on the car vs. the dog was in the car). Anyway, he said that this was common among people whose native language isn't English.

I think what sorta screwed me over was the little subtleties. The LSAT test makers love manipulating the little nuances, so that a simple mistake can distort entire meanings. It's really hard to train you're brain to correct these mistakes that it isn't even conscious of making...ehh! With that said, I think 7 months is definitely not enough, especially given your other commitments. Anywhooo, best of luck.

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:28 am

From my own experience as an ESL applicant is that you hardly get any boost in terms of the LSAT, maybe a point or two at most, and only if the admissions officer is in a really good mood and really, really, really loves the rest of your application. So for a T10 JD program you should be aiming for at least 165, but my felling is that that probably won't be enough.

Do you have anything else going for you, like unique work experience (helps a lot at NU)?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”