"Warmup" Techniques?

rocklos

"Warmup" Techniques?

Postby rocklos » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:21 am

I wanted to get some input and some ideas on how you guys warm up the brain before heading into a test. Actual and practice.

Right now I'm doing one logic game usually an advance linear game, but I feel like its not enough.

Any input would be great.

SOCRATiC

Re: "Warmup" Techniques?

Postby SOCRATiC » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:27 am

What I really enjoy is to solve a logic game set or two, and then read an article from one of the three magazines that I've subscribed to: Economist, Smithsonian, and Scientific American. Reading an LR stimulus or RC passage the first thing in the morning just makes me sick, and I know that I'd feel sluggish if I did that (which would reflect on a poorer score).

I tried solving older LR passages that I've already gone through, but I noticed that those aren't as stimulating as absorbing brand new information. FYI - I diagram almost every article that I read just like I do RC passages.

I haven't taken the actual test yet, so my two cents end here.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:28 am

Many people advised against doing any LSAT work before an actual test. I however would usually do five or six LR's.

I didn't review the answers and I didn't do games because I didn't want to psych myself out. When you bone a game, you know it. Same thought behind checking your LR. If you miss 2 or 3 it could mess with your head. Just do a couple LR to get your mind going.

Since there is some disagreement over whether or not a warm up is a good idea, you should try it both ways under testing conditions to see what benefits you.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:29 am

Eww, you diagram RC and your recreation reads? WTF is wrong with you.

Go read naked lunch.

I dare you to diagram it.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:45 am

Cupidity wrote:Many people advised against doing any LSAT work before an actual test. I however would usually do five or six LR's.

I didn't review the answers and I didn't do games because I didn't want to psych myself out. When you bone a game, you know it. Same thought behind checking your LR. If you miss 2 or 3 it could mess with your head. Just do a couple LR to get your mind going.

Since there is some disagreement over whether or not a warm up is a good idea, you should try it both ways under testing conditions to see what benefits you.

+1. I was having trouble waking my brain up for the RC too, so I did one passage of RC too. I found that pre-test exercises >>> no pre-test exercises.

Incidentally, the test prep service TestMasters tells their students to do some pre-test games so that's one authoritative voice saying it's a good thing.

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:24 am

The best pretest advice I can give you is to expect delays and incompetence on the part of the proctors. Given the gravity and price of the LSAT, I expected well organized and professional proctors. I think they where the low level support staff from the law school were I tested. They clearly had no experience with the test or its rules. We didn't begin testing until 40 minutes after the scheduled start time and after switching rooms. I was somewhat flustered by the time I got the test. Go in expecting a clusterfuck, so you won't be as upset on test day.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:The best pretest advice I can give you is to expect delays and incompetence on the part of the proctors. Given the gravity and price of the LSAT, I expected well organized and professional proctors. I think they where the low level support staff from the law school were I tested. They clearly had no experience with the test or its rules. We didn't begin testing until 40 minutes after the scheduled start time and after switching rooms. I was somewhat flustered by the time I got the test. Go in expecting a clusterfuck, so you won't be as upset on test day.

qft..

They should require a proctoring license/training before allowing these people in a testing center. I know the sheer number of test takers makes these tings hard to truly standardize but conditions vary so m uch from center to center its ridiculous. There are good proctors, bad proctors, horrible proctors, nazi proctors, lazy proctors, stupid proctors, etc. so be prepared for anything. Also take PTs in as loud, and noisy a place as possible (police sirens/firetrucks/trains/marching bands would be ideal).

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 pm

I went for a brisk walk and then did about 5-6 LRs and one LG. It's really hard to mess this one up. A few problems of anything should get your mental juices flowing.

vivecan005

Postby vivecan005 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:21 pm

jayzon wrote:Ten minutes on a stationary bike, followed by a hot shower, 2 games, and 5/6 LR questions. Worked for me.

Will that work for him?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”