Who writes LSAT questions?

reasonabledoubt

Who writes LSAT questions?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Also, are they representative of anything? (trends in law, future projections, society, etc)

I found it interesting that the last 2 lsats (sept and dec) contained similar passages about computer networks and designs derived from nature.

gymboree

Re: Who writes LSAT questions?

Postby gymboree » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:37 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Also, are they representative of anything? (trends in law, future projections, society, etc)

I found it interesting that the last 2 lsats (sept and dec) contained similar passages about computer networks and designs derived from nature.

Reading Comp: excerpts are usually taken from peer reviewed journals. Search JSTOR or EBSCOhost for access to similar articles.

The rest of the LSAT -- that comes from LSAC I believe. Can anyone confirm?

ahh... there's a whole thread on this: answer found.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61744

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 am

I'm pretty sure that they're all philosophers. A couple of my professors used to write LSAT questions and they said that you had to be a card-carrying member of the American Philosophical Association to be hired.

Also, the people who construct the test are different from the ones who write the questions. The question-writers are basically independent contractors that do most of their work on the side, from home. They take a week-long workshop or something to learn about what kinds of questions they're supposed to write, but that's about it, I think.

This is how things worked ten years ago, at least. It may have changed.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:10 am

tomhobbes wrote:I'm pretty sure that they're all philosophers. A couple of my professors used to write LSAT questions and they said that you had to be a card-carrying member of the American Philosophical Association to be hired.

Also, the people who construct the test are different from the ones who write the questions. The question-writers are basically independent contractors that do most of their work on the side, from home. They take a week-long workshop or something to learn about what kinds of questions they're supposed to write, but that's about it, I think.

This is how things worked ten years ago, at least. It may have changed.

Interesting. It would make sense. I took a philosophy course during my freshman year of UG which was mostly thinking/reasoning/logic. I could see that professor (very strange, scraggly beard, etc) writing LSAT questions.

bees

Postby bees » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:26 am

My TestMasters teacher mentioned that he submitted a handful and a few of them had actually been selected.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:27 pm

People who write LSAT questions are like those folks who come up with the NY Times crossword puzzles. Slightly bizarre geniuses who are very good at shit like this.

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:24 pm

They're called psychometricians.

UofO

Postby UofO » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:28 pm

kn6542 wrote:They're [strike]called[/strike]psycho[strike]metricians.[/strike]

fixed.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Those are Dementors by the way.

llawguru

Postby llawguru » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:01 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Also, are they representative of anything? (trends in law, future projections, society, etc)

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:06 pm

I write the songs. :lol:

vivecan005

Postby vivecan005 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:32 am

Every year My five questions are randomly selected by Law School Admission Council. And out of those five, three are published in paper.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”