Perplexed by PT 39, Sec. III, Question 25

existenz

Perplexed by PT 39, Sec. III, Question 25

Postby existenz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:21 pm

It's the reading passage about Canadian copyright laws. I'm just having a hard time seeing why A is a better answer than E. Not saying A is wrong, it's a valid answer. But how is E wrong?

Copyright laws already make exception for use of copyright materials in research, so it is hard to see why publishers would suddenly object. And the internet community would not object to copyright materials being made available to researchers. If the answer had said "permitted ONLY to Internet users engaged in research" I would understand. But it's not exclusionary.

The question doesn't specify that an agreement has to be comprehensive; it merely has to be an agreeable compromise. How is E objectionable to either side? Kaplan says "Outright permission to duplicate digitally would certainly not be agreeable to publishers". But the answer doesn't say that researchers would duplicate the material for free, only that it would be permitted. In addition, the reading passage makes clear that current copyright law makes generous exemptions for those engaged in research, so it would seem silly for publishers to suddenly object to such uses in the digital medium.

I think this question should have been invalidated. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong. Usually with these tests, four answers are 100% wrong and one is 100% right. Not the case on this one.
Last edited by existenz on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Re: Perplexed by PT 39, Sec. III, Question 25

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:42 pm

your right. it probably outght to have said 'only' internet users engaged in research but even so it is still not the correct answer.
answer E does not resolve the fact that although not technically a crime, internet users are likely (as isimplied in the passage) feeling 'in conflict' with publishers right now and publishers are attempting to combat their use of unauthorized digitilized material.
Thus the resolution of the conflict by requiring a small fee is the answer that is 'most likely to be an agreeable compromise'

existenz

Re: Perplexed by PT 39, Sec. III, Question 25

Postby existenz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:50 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:your right. it probably outght to have said 'only' internet users engaged in research but even so it is still not the correct answer.
answer E does not resolve the fact that although not technically a crime, internet users are likely (as isimplied in the passage) feeling 'in conflict' with publishers right now and publishers are attempting to combat their use of unauthorized digitilized material.
Thus the resolution of the conflict by requiring a small fee is the answer that is 'most likely to be an agreeable compromise'

If the question stated that the "agreeable compromise" had to be a comprehensive solution, I would agree with you. Answer A is the only one that addresses the concerns of all internet users, not just those engaged in research. But normally an incorrect answer is actually incorrect. Internet users would not disagree with the use of digital copyright material for use in research, nor would publishers (no matter what Kaplan says). It's not like publishers are pushing to overturn the research loophole in other areas. The question does not state that the compromise has to resolve all of the issues that internet users have with current law, such as their feelings of "conflict".

Obviously, in the real world, E would probably be the only thing publishers and internet users would agree on. Many internet users think copyright material should be free and would object to a fee. That said, we're talking about the world of LSAC and this particular passage. I just think the question and/or the answers should have been more specific.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”