Taking first diag this weekend... question about answers

hellojd

Taking first diag this weekend... question about answers

Postby hellojd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:54 am

Hey all,

Will be taking my first diag this weekend, and hope to kill the June LSAT.

I was considering taking the June 2007 LSAT that is offered for free from LSAC, since it won't use up an extremely recent test, while at the same time the material should be a good gauge of what I can expect test day.

However, this like many of the official tests does not offer answer explanations. Would you all recommend that I take a test which offers explanations, since this is my first test and I might not be able to "reason" my way to all the right answers (especially on LG)? Or did you all find it helpful to have to do this?

I also have the Next 10 LSAT and various other individual PTs I ordered waiting for me, but I assume that those do not have the answers either.

hellojd

Re: Taking first diag this weekend... question about answers

Postby hellojd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:09 pm

On a side note, what timing structure would you all recommend for this diag? I was thinking about doing a "loosely" timed diag, perhaps with an extra 3-5 minutes per section.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:14 pm

If you want to take a test with explanations I recommend you pick up LSAC's SuperPrep book. SuperPrep includes 3 LSAT's with full explanations for every question, so you get insight into the reasoning from the mindset of the test writers.

In terms of timing, I would stick to strictly timed for your first diagnostic. That way you have a good baseline to gauge your improvement going forward.

z*z

Postby z*z » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Since this is your first PT I would time it at exactly 35 minutes per section. I feel that it is better to get a raw understanding of where you would score if you were to take the test today. If timing is something that you need to work on then "loosely" time future PTs. For now though I think an honest assessment of where you are would be most beneficial.

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 pm

I don't think you should rely on explanations unless you can't figure out the answer after at least 5-10 minutes. Any of those you could post the PT and question number here and there are many who would help explain them to you.

For LG you will be able to figure them out yourself given enough time. Time is pretty much the only issue for LG.

I would also suggest doing it strictly timed, (1) to start off with good PT habits and (2) to have a lower baseline to help motivate you.

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:22 pm

I would not recommend using the June 2007 exam for two reasons. One being that it is the first to have comparative passages, and you want to try and use those when you are closer to the exam date. The more important reason, however, is that there is a marked shift in difficulty in RC (from TLS users experiences) from at least 50 (most claim 45) and above. You want to perfect your skills before utilizing the most recent exams... IIRC, June 2007 is PT 52.5, meaning 53-59 + June 2007 = Only 8 exams with the comparative RC.

Start with low 40's, and also look into this for explanations:

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/

Best of luck with your preparation.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I will do a strictly timed version of an older PT then.

I actually do have LSAC's SuperPrep waiting for me at the apartment, but did not realize it has full-length explanations for the PTs. Sounds like I will be taking one of those then, since I am iffy about not having explanations when I don't yet have the tools to understand why something may be right / wrong. I guess it would also be helpful to get inside the minds of the test makers from the get go.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”