Reading comprehension improvement? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
vivecan005

New

Reading comprehension improvement?

Post by vivecan005 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Hi:

I figured out that I am doing reading comprehension question ~ 85% right and I want to fill this 15% gap. Will anybody suggest me that how to improve in RC? I mean apart from those time consuming suggestions to read Washington post, New York Times, Law Journal and economist etc is there any suggestion to improve?

Will it help to draw a sketch of long passage as people do in GMAT's reading comprehension? or any other trick to bring inference and implied things up?

Cavalier

Gold

Re: Reading comprehension improvement?

Post by Cavalier » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:01 pm

I mainly improved through practice. The only "tactic" I used that really helped me save time was my approach to questions which I didn't know the answer to. I used to read the answers one by one, and if I wasn't sure if it was correct, I would go back to the passage to check. Later I started reading all of the answers to each question first, crossing off the ones I knew were wrong, and then I'd scan the passage to see which of two or three choices were correct. This meant I only had to go back to the passage once per question, instead of possibly several times.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Cavalier wrote:I mainly improved through practice. The only "tactic" I used that really helped me save time was my approach to questions which I didn't know the answer to. I used to read the answers one by one, and if I wasn't sure if it was correct, I would go back to the passage to check. Later I started reading all of the answers to each question first, crossing off the ones I knew were wrong, and then I'd scan the passage to see which of two or three choices were correct. This meant I only had to go back to the passage once per question, instead of possibly several times.
This helps. I would also do the questions out of order, starting with any that appeared to be really short (one or two line question, answers that are only a line or two each) or any that told you where in the passage to look ("On line 37..."). As you work on the easier ones you keep looking over the passage and slowly assimilating knowledge from it, so when you get to the harder/broader overall ones you may already have read enough to go "This one's not right" and cross one or two off.

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm not so sure about taking the time to draw a sketch, but I did make a lot of my improvements in that section by focusing on time management/efficiency. Try to finish an RC section with a 30 minute time limit instead of 35. For me, RC was the most difficult section to keep my focus, but underlining key phrases (some people will tell you not to do this) and circling strong language will help to not only help with those more ambiguous questions but to keep your head in the game, so to speak.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”