Burnout 3 weeks before test

birD

Burnout 3 weeks before test

Postby birD » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm

I have been studying for this test for almost a year now and I feel like I reached my peak about 2 1/2 weeks ago and then started getting really burnt out. I had to take last week off completely because I was volunteering in central america and now I am trying to study again but still feeling super burnt out. I tried doing an LR section and got -10 when I'm normally around -5. On top of that the semester has begun so I am doing a huge amount of reading for my classes leaving me pretty much brain dead by the time I come home to study for the LSAT.

someone PLEASE give me some advice!!!!

lawyer879

Re: Burnout 3 weeks before test

Postby lawyer879 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:34 pm

I feel your pain. 5 weeks before the test I said "to hell with it" and never studied again (not even the weekend before). I still did well on the test (because, like you I had studied a long time), but I would have done better if I would have had a little discipline.

If I could go back and do it again I would have at least studied a tiny bit every day.

I found that after a long break my scores would not necessarily drop... One time I took a month off and then came back and cranked out a 168... so go figure...

My advice would be to start off with 30min. a day, then gradually ramp it up to no more than an two or three hours...

Just remember, even a little tiny bit is better than nothing.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:35 pm

Take some time off. Watch TV for a couple days. Play video games. Do something other than study. There were at least a couple times during my preparation when I felt absolutely miserable during every second I was doing LSAT questions, and after a couple days of just relaxing, I felt ready to get back into my studying routine. Although you already had a week away from the LSAT, if you really can't stand the thought of studying now, clearly you are not ready to go back to it. Studying when you are burnt out makes things worse.

UTexas

Postby UTexas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:20 am

If you've been studying for a year, you're probably as ready as you're going to get. Take another week off and see how you feel. Try to do a light amount of studying every day or two as test day approaches to keep from getting rusty at all, but, whatever you do, don't study so much that you continue to experience burnout. I've never met anyone in your situation that benefited from studying a lot more, but I've talked to several who believe taking it easy toward the end was a positive for their performance.

7ED

Postby 7ED » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:00 am

Take some time off and don't go on TLS. I'd imagine that would only add to the stress. Plus, mutual puking sessions bums everyone out.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 am

burnout 3 weeks before the test is not a problem since it only takes about 2-3 days at most, at least from my own experience and from what everyone else has told me, to recover from it. take some time off, make urself go out and see a movie, play some basketball, go out to dinner, even hit up some bars (just take it easy on the alcohol)....

but seriously, you might not be able to stop thinking about the lsat all the time, but the big thing is make sure u dont open those books!! its gonna feel like it didnt help much but youll see the difference when you hit the books again.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 am

birD wrote:I have been studying for this test for almost a year now and I feel like I reached my peak about 2 1/2 weeks ago and then started getting really burnt out. I had to take last week off completely because I was volunteering in central america and now I am trying to study again but still feeling super burnt out. I tried doing an LR section and got -10 when I'm normally around -5. On top of that the semester has begun so I am doing a huge amount of reading for my classes leaving me pretty much brain dead by the time I come home to study for the LSAT.

someone PLEASE give me some advice!!!!

This is why you don't study for the test for a year.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:21 am

I thought this thread was gonna be about Burnout 3. Then I got disappointed.

Close Diamond

Postby Close Diamond » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Dealing with some burnout here too; difficulty sleeping, obsessing, and worst of all, decreases in my PT scores (it's a vicious cycle, really). I plan to take at least a day and a half off and find a way to have fun and take my mind off this test.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

UTexas

Postby UTexas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Close Diamond wrote:Dealing with some burnout here too; difficulty sleeping, obsessing, and worst of all, decreases in my PT scores (it's a vicious cycle, really). I plan to take at least a day and a half off and find a way to have fun and take my mind off this test.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You have to be rested before the problem can resolve itself. Find a way to sleep eight hours per night for several nights. Take three days off, do some relaxing and enjoyable activities, get some exercise, rest well, and I bet your scores will rebound almost immediately.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 am

after the june test, I didnt study for a month, and my first test back was a 172 (my highest ever)

if I wasnt so paranoid about getting the same score AGAIN, I might just stop studying from now till test day. But I really feel like I can get stronger on the games to lock myself in (hopefully) for a better score.

so..depending on where you're at, I would say take some time off. at most take a practice test this weekend and then next weekend. youre prob in a similar boat as me, where youve studied enough to know your stuff, and now you just need to focus on making it all click on test day. keep the nerves calm, make sure rested and relaxed--and let the yr of prep you have behind you push you past the finish line.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”