-3 to -1 on LR: Read LRB?

folktheorem

-3 to -1 on LR: Read LRB?

Postby folktheorem » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm taking the LSAT in Feb for the first time, and haven't done any formal review for LR other than taking sections. I've spent the past week and a half studying the Logic Games Bible since I knew that was the area I'd probably need most help in, and I'm now getting around 0-3 wrong on each LG section (usually 1 or 2 wrong).

For LR, I've been getting 1-3 wrong on each section. Since I haven't done any review for LR yet, would it be advisable to read the LR Bible or do some formal review (learning question types, etc.) at this point or should I just keep doing more practice tests/questions/work more on LG instead to get down to -0 consistently? Any advice would be much appreciated. Hope everyone's studying is going well!

bees

Re: -3 to -1 on LR: Read LRB?

Postby bees » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:39 pm

I would continue to work on LG until you're getting -0 every time.

Only missing 1-3 on LR is solid and unless you are always missing a certain question type I think you'd benefit more by making sure you can ace the LGs than studying a great deal of stuff for LR that you clearly already know since you're doing well.

folktheorem

Postby folktheorem » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yea, I kind of figured that it would be unrealistic to expect to get -0 or -1 consistently on Logical Reasoning, whereas it seems a lot of people consider getting -0 on Logic Games consistently a realistic goal. I'm just a bit frustrated since it seems like the LR questions I miss seem pretty obvious once I see the answer. And doing more sections doesn't really seem to be helping. My first prep test I got -3 and and -1 on LR, and the ones after have been -2, -1, or -3 (never got -0 on LR).

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:59 am

Cut out and/or save all of the LR questions you get wrong. Review them, find out what mistakes you keep making, learn from these mistakes.

When I practiced for Sept. I only missed 1-4 questions per LR in PTs. But i never really reviewed wrong answers beyond the "Oh, I shouldn't have missed that" stage. That was a mistake, because I ended up missing a bunch of questions on the real test that I should have been better prepared for.

The LRB is good for giving you lessons on different types of questions. Are you good at formal logic questions? You understand the "some" train? Etc.

Unless you are a genius you WILL miss some LR questions on the real test. But if you are anal about studying your wrong answers from all of your PTs, you will improve your ability to identify questions that trip you up or trick you.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 am

existenz wrote:Cut out and/or save all of the LR questions you get wrong. Review them, find out what mistakes you keep making, learn from these mistakes.

When I practiced for Sept. I only missed 1-4 questions per LR in PTs. But i never really reviewed wrong answers beyond the "Oh, I shouldn't have missed that" stage. That was a mistake, because I ended up missing a bunch of questions on the real test that I should have been better prepared for.

The LRB is good for giving you lessons on different types of questions. Are you good at formal logic questions? You understand the "some" train? Etc.

Unless you are a genius you WILL miss some LR questions on the real test. But if you are anal about studying your wrong answers from all of your PTs, you will improve your ability to identify questions that trip you up or trick you.

+1

Review, review, review. Not only the ones that you got wrong, but the ones that you had a hard time with as well - even if you eventually got it right. I would also suggest seeing if you keep getting specific problem types wrong, and reading the relevant LRB chapter for that problem type.

spearnreel

Postby spearnreel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 am

folktheorem wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm taking the LSAT in Feb for the first time, and haven't done any formal review for LR other than taking sections. I've spent the past week and a half studying the Logic Games Bible since I knew that was the area I'd probably need most help in, and I'm now getting around 0-3 wrong on each LG section (usually 1 or 2 wrong).

For LR, I've been getting 1-3 wrong on each section. Since I haven't done any review for LR yet, would it be advisable to read the LR Bible or do some formal review (learning question types, etc.) at this point or should I just keep doing more practice tests/questions/work more on LG instead to get down to -0 consistently? Any advice would be much appreciated. Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Are these under timed conditions? If so, way to go!

folktheorem

Postby folktheorem » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. The sections I've been taking are timed, although my biggest worry is that I'll get a game that I can't figure out and then freeze up and have a panic attack in the middle of the test... (This actually happened to me the first time I took the Math IIC SAT, and I ended up getting a 600 (retake was 800)).

So it sounds like I should keep working until I'm really solid on Logic Games and then review all the LR questions I've been getting wrong individually and all the choices to make sure I understand them. Hopefully I'll have enough time before the Feb test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”