Need advice on prep material, February 6th 2010

vivecan005

Need advice on prep material, February 6th 2010

Postby vivecan005 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:40 pm

Dear All:

First of all, I will admire that this is a wonderful forum to assist test takers.
I am a newbie. I am also appearing in LSAT February 6th exam in Washington DC. Please advice if I should any other material in my list. I am preparing with following material:

LSAT Tripleprep (This is very old 2000 printed edition but helps to do practice test at home)

LSAT Superprep

LSAT 57

The purpose to buy and study these LSAT triplepre, 57, superprep is to remain close to official material because there is so much material available in market that one can just be studying guides like Kaplan, Princeton review etc and never get a chance to study material published by Law School Admission Council (LSAC).

Powerscore Logic Games Bible (Powerscore has gained a great reputation for attacking the verbal sections and test like LSAT. Even GMAT takers buy these bibles to excel in GMAT's Critical reasoning and Sentence Correction)

Powerscore Logical reasoning Bible

Kaplan LSAT (Just to warm up )

Princeton review LSAT (This is a good book to make up your mind and learn like kintergarden child. The good thing about this book is that it reduces the complexity, reduces the fear, presents the instruction, strategies and questions in very simplified manner which lays a foundation to achieve 150 score and for further improvement candidate should go for other books which deals with hard, complex questions )

tomwatts

Re: Need advice on prep material, February 6th 2010

Postby tomwatts » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Just doing PT 57 isn't enough. I'd recommend easing off the random books of technique and making sure you do 50-57 at least.

In particular, doing Superprep AND Powerscore AND Kaplan AND Princeton Review is probably bad. That's four different books of technique. Drop any one or two of those and sub in more PTs.

vivecan005

Postby vivecan005 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:18 pm

tomwatts wrote:Just doing PT 57 isn't enough. I'd recommend easing off the random books of technique and making sure you do 50-57 at least.

In particular, doing Superprep AND Powerscore AND Kaplan AND Princeton Review is probably bad. That's four different books of technique. Drop any one or two of those and sub in more PTs.

Thanks for your advice. I am using Powerscore only for Logical reasoning and Games, using kaplan for writing task and reading comprehension and using Princeton review is just to warm up for study. That's how I am studying.
I think that is true that I should add more preptest. I heared that RC has become more complex so which preptest I should use?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Use the most recent ones. PT 50 and up will give you a good idea of recent trends. If you can, do even more than that; you wouldn't be overdoing it if you did, say, PT 29-58. Depends on how much practice you determine you need, though, I suppose.

Camron

Postby Camron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:58 pm

vivecan005 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:Just doing PT 57 isn't enough. I'd recommend easing off the random books of technique and making sure you do 50-57 at least.

Thanks for your advice. I am using Powerscore only for Logical reasoning and Games, using kaplan for writing task and reading comprehension and using Princeton review is just to warm up for study. That's how I am studying.
I think that is true that I should add more preptest. I heared that RC has become more complex so which preptest I should use?

Hmm, recent preptests are better than the older ones for studying purposes. It does seem they are more difficult than the prior ones, but PS has a pretty effective method for doing any of them. Largest issue it seems is time constraint (at least with me).

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ha ... sages.html

Doing multiple PT, reviewing them, identifying the weaknesses, attacking those weaknesses (i.e. categorize LG from the back of PS LG Bible, and then see if you suck at a specific type and just keep repeating those games, do the same for LR), and keep doing more PT should be hopefully effective.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”