PT 23 Section 3 Q 23

februaryftw

PT 23 Section 3 Q 23

Postby februaryftw » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 pm

Having some trouble seeing the parallel exactly here, and why B is clearly better than D. In the stimulus, the idea is to shift the greater funds away from highway traffic to smoking because smoking is more dangerous. I can sort of see how B, the right answer, works, but "more people die so focus on that" seems to be a poor analog for "saxophone gets more gigs so focus on that." It seems to reverse the stimulus--the advice in the answer choice is to spend the time on what is already bringing benefits, not to spend the time on what is not working thus far.

D seems to be a bad fit because the advice is to spend one's time on one's strength (breaststroke) rather than one's weakness (backstroke), but I have hard time not applying that exact same critique to B (saxophone being the strength because it is bringing in the gigs).

Anyone?

Derrex

Re: PT 23 Section 3 Q 23

Postby Derrex » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:14 pm

februaryftw wrote:Having some trouble seeing the parallel exactly here, and why B is clearly better than D. In the stimulus, the idea is to shift the greater funds away from highway traffic to smoking because smoking is more dangerous. I can sort of see how B, the right answer, works, but "more people die so focus on that" seems to be a poor analog for "saxophone gets more gigs so focus on that." It seems to reverse the stimulus--the advice in the answer choice is to spend the time on what is already bringing benefits, not to spend the time on what is not working thus far.

D seems to be a bad fit because the advice is to spend one's time on one's strength (breaststroke) rather than one's weakness (backstroke), but I have hard time not applying that exact same critique to B (saxophone being the strength because it is bringing in the gigs).

Anyone?

The problem with D is the conclusion that the team would win more swim meets. Its out of scope and does not match the original argument. Nothing is mentioned of swim meets or how to win them. This is a flaw, but not a flaw that parallels the original argument.

februaryftw

Re: PT 23 Section 3 Q 23

Postby februaryftw » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Derrex wrote:
februaryftw wrote:Having some trouble seeing the parallel exactly here, and why B is clearly better than D. In the stimulus, the idea is to shift the greater funds away from highway traffic to smoking because smoking is more dangerous. I can sort of see how B, the right answer, works, but "more people die so focus on that" seems to be a poor analog for "saxophone gets more gigs so focus on that." It seems to reverse the stimulus--the advice in the answer choice is to spend the time on what is already bringing benefits, not to spend the time on what is not working thus far.

Anyone?

The problem with D is the conclusion that the team would win more swim meets. Its out of scope and does not match the original argument. Nothing is mentioned of swim meets or how to win them. This is a flaw, but not a flaw that parallels the original argument.

Ah thanks. I reread it a million times and always found the conclusion funny but for some reason I kept glazing over that crucial point.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”