HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby hannah87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Today's the deadline to register. I have a 3.9/168 (took for the first time in December), but really want NYU. I am not a URM, and don't have any spectacular softs, so I don't think I have great chances. I expect a waitlist. What do you think about trying the Feb LSAT in the hopes of getting a waitlist from NYU and being able to send them a better score? Is it worth the pressure/risk of getting an even lower score? I'm so torn...

Any insight would be much appreciated.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby hannah87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:50 pm

Anyone have any luck with this approach (especially with NYU/Columbia)? I need to act fast!

Thanks!

cr073137
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby cr073137 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:00 pm

I am also doing the same approach, but I spoke with the dean of Columbia and they WILL NOT take your Feb LSAT. Harvard does "considers" your application in light of new information, but most schools that have deadlines before the release of the Feb score will not take it, the policy is different at each school, so I would say to call and find out because it might not be worth it to take it again.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby hannah87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:04 pm

cr073137 wrote:I am also doing the same approach, but I spoke with the dean of Columbia and they WILL NOT take your Feb LSAT. Harvard does "considers" your application in light of new information, but most schools that have deadlines before the release of the Feb score will not take it, the policy is different at each school, so I would say to call and find out because it might not be worth it to take it again.


SO helpful; thank you. Will call NYU now.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby hannah87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Spoke to NYU admissions office...they said that if the February score is received before my application is reviewed, they will likely consider it and average it with my December score (they would discount the December score only with a convincing addendum as to why it was lower).

I don't think I'll score higher than a 171/172, so I don't think it's worth it to take it again. Oh well. I hope this info helps others decide...

Cognoscenti
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby Cognoscenti » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:53 pm

hannah87 wrote:
cr073137 wrote:I am also doing the same approach, but I spoke with the dean of Columbia and they WILL NOT take your Feb LSAT. Harvard does "considers" your application in light of new information, but most schools that have deadlines before the release of the Feb score will not take it, the policy is different at each school, so I would say to call and find out because it might not be worth it to take it again.


SO helpful; thank you. Will call NYU now.


Columbia said they'd accept mine...

studylaw7
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 am

Re: HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby studylaw7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:48 pm

hannah87 wrote:Spoke to NYU admissions office...they said that if the February score is received before my application is reviewed, they will likely consider it and average it with my December score (they would discount the December score only with a convincing addendum as to why it was lower).

I don't think I'll score higher than a 171/172, so I don't think it's worth it to take it again. Oh well. I hope this info helps others decide...


not worth the pain. take it again if you don't get in this cycle and you aren't willing to settle for another T14.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby hannah87 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Cognoscenti wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
cr073137 wrote:I am also doing the same approach, but I spoke with the dean of Columbia and they WILL NOT take your Feb LSAT. Harvard does "considers" your application in light of new information, but most schools that have deadlines before the release of the Feb score will not take it, the policy is different at each school, so I would say to call and find out because it might not be worth it to take it again.


SO helpful; thank you. Will call NYU now.


Columbia said they'd accept mine...


did they said they'd average? i ended up not registering, but i'm curious.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: HELP- should I take Feb LSAT for this cycle??

Postby hannah87 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:46 pm

studylaw7 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:Spoke to NYU admissions office...they said that if the February score is received before my application is reviewed, they will likely consider it and average it with my December score (they would discount the December score only with a convincing addendum as to why it was lower).

I don't think I'll score higher than a 171/172, so I don't think it's worth it to take it again. Oh well. I hope this info helps others decide...


not worth the pain. take it again if you don't get in this cycle and you aren't willing to settle for another T14.


thanks! i decided not to do it. crossing my fingers. good luck to you!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cianchetta0, jagerbom79, PantoroB, rnoodles, sakanaya, towel13661 and 4 guests