Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

studylaw7
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby studylaw7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:14 pm

another benefit to the underlining method is that it forces you to interact with the passage. it keeps you focused.

it can't be emphasized enough that excessive underlining will yield no benefit.

geostuck
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby geostuck » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:02 am

studylaw7 wrote:I'm not taking it personally, my replies are blunt but I'm perfectly calm. But I do think that my method is correct and that attempts to refute the underlining method are not sound. In a 55-60 lined passage, you think forgetting where you saw a name, date or title, means you didn't comprehend the passage properly? I don't think that's legitimate...


Since you quoted me, I must ask where did I indicate that I was attempting to "refute" your fantastic underlining method? Seriously, I’m not interested in refuting your profoundly secret method for RC. I'm only trying to offer advice to the OP.

Claiming…
for the lsat, not doing so [underlining]is just foolish

I'd be willing to bet, the guys offering the advice have a better handle on how score high than you could hope to get on an untimed PT. But like I've said continually, there is no right and wrong way. But to say that NOT underlining is foolish is not only counter to your point but childishly hypocritical. It worked for me, it work for the other guy, and it may work for the OP. Why the fuck are you so stuck on it?
Underlining key terms could help prevent you from re-reading.

Could help?!?! What are you going to read? The line? My reasoning is that if you know exactly where to look for the line, then you do not need to underline it. Do you use a special pencil with a homing device that magically directs you to the relevant text?? How is this difficult for you to grasp?

Most importantly, which you've utterly failed to grasp, is that the OP asked for advice on how to improve HIS reading comp. If you don't like the advice, don't use it. But why clutter up the thread with your childish insecurities? In fact, since you're such a proponent of underlining words that you cannot recall in a 60 line passage, start a fucking thread about the wonders of underlining. You won’t find me hijacking it over nonsense.

And, yes, I do believe that if you cannot recall where a MAJOR piece of the passage is located within 60 lines, or better yet, a 400 word passage, then you've got a long and hard future, if you get into law school. Like I have said what seems like 40 times already, I'm not an expert at reading comp, but I can remember where to find pertinent information. If you cannot, then you, in my opinion, do not comprehend the overall message of the passage. Jeez, it’s reading not neurosurgery.

Look, just because you're preparing to take the LSAT, do not start trying to playing lawyer quite yet…
Last edited by geostuck on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:20 am

yea, i don't think just reading the passage straight is the best strategy (at least not for me), since then i'll have to go back and re-read even more than usual, could eats more time than if i just underlined sparingly in the process

i'm pretty sure that some--if not most--of my difficulties with RC has to do with comfortability, so i guess that my best strategy for the moment is to only slightly tinker with what i do on each passage, but to just do as many of the old RC sections as possible and just get more of a feel

LR is much easier to get comfortable with, since there's 2 LR sections in each PT. However, there's only 1 RC section in each PT obviously, so there's nowhere near 700 RC sections, lol..

however, i think i started with the (technically) 3rd book of 10 (PTs 29-38) with my RC practice, so I should try to find my other book of 10 (19-28) and maybe even buy the first book of 10 until I get completely comfortable with RC..

geostuck
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby geostuck » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:01 am

I think I said it earlier, treat them like logic games, repeat, repeat, repeat. They too have a similar pattern. Once you begin to see that the same types of questions are asked predictably and repeatedly, it becomes easier to determine where in the passage it might be found.

Forgoing notations is definitely NOT for everyone, but I suggest trying several different methods. However, once you find one that works, never deviate from it and practice it until your eyes bleed. You'll get the score you need for the schools in your name.

Repetition and speed (and sleepless nights) is what did it for me. Also, trying doing them when you feel like crap or have not had enough sleep, hangover, or whatever, I mistakenly focused on testing with optimal conditions, which gave the thrilling opportunity to repeat. More likely than not, you're not going to get perfect conditions. The 177->180 thread has some great tips about picking up extra seconds. I cannot believe I had not heard about using dull pencils.

Woozy
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby Woozy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:12 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:yea, i don't think just reading the passage straight is the best strategy (at least not for me), since then i'll have to go back and re-read even more than usual, could eats more time than if i just underlined sparingly in the process

i'm pretty sure that some--if not most--of my difficulties with RC has to do with comfortability, so i guess that my best strategy for the moment is to only slightly tinker with what i do on each passage, but to just do as many of the old RC sections as possible and just get more of a feel

LR is much easier to get comfortable with, since there's 2 LR sections in each PT. However, there's only 1 RC section in each PT obviously, so there's nowhere near 700 RC sections, lol..

however, i think i started with the (technically) 3rd book of 10 (PTs 29-38) with my RC practice, so I should try to find my other book of 10 (19-28) and maybe even buy the first book of 10 until I get completely comfortable with RC..


Sounds like a decent strategy. However, be aware that many people say the RC has gotten harder recently. Also, in the last couple of years a comparative reading passage has been added to each section. Make sure you get all of the recent sections - although you may want to save many/most recent forms for use as PTs.

User avatar
klussy
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby klussy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:29 pm

the worst is the type that says, "the passage answers all of the following q's except" or "all can be inferred from the passage EXCEPT:"

that question is bad enough when you're searching for just one detail, without the except: but to have to go back and locate 4?!?! even when you locate one, you're not always sure because it's been rephrased to where it seems like a different meaning at times. not to mention when they do this on a scientific passage- I already barely get what's going on.

I've pretty much given up on this section. If I can limit my losses to -6 or better on RC and nearly perfect LR and LG (which I pretty much have) I'll be alright.

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Woozy wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:yea, i don't think just reading the passage straight is the best strategy (at least not for me), since then i'll have to go back and re-read even more than usual, could eats more time than if i just underlined sparingly in the process

i'm pretty sure that some--if not most--of my difficulties with RC has to do with comfortability, so i guess that my best strategy for the moment is to only slightly tinker with what i do on each passage, but to just do as many of the old RC sections as possible and just get more of a feel

LR is much easier to get comfortable with, since there's 2 LR sections in each PT. However, there's only 1 RC section in each PT obviously, so there's nowhere near 700 RC sections, lol..

however, i think i started with the (technically) 3rd book of 10 (PTs 29-38) with my RC practice, so I should try to find my other book of 10 (19-28) and maybe even buy the first book of 10 until I get completely comfortable with RC..


Sounds like a decent strategy. However, be aware that many people say the RC has gotten harder recently. Also, in the last couple of years a comparative reading passage has been added to each section. Make sure you get all of the recent sections - although you may want to save many/most recent forms for use as PTs.


that's an interesting take -- a lot of people that i've spoken with actually believe that the addition of a comparative reading passage has made RC easier. The only experience I have with comparable passages is in the RC bible, but regardless of the topic, the comparative passages seemed more interesting, and the questions easier as a result of that.. (if that's not a thread, i'd like to make one to see if ppl think the past or current RC sections are harder)

Regardless, I think that, yes, more familiarity with the section will make me more comfortable with their style, passages, question types, etc. While my current RC scores can range from -3 to a spike of -8/-9 (I've been missing more RC questions lately maybe just b/c I'm getting frustrated), I'd say that my average is probably around -5, maybe between -5 and -6...idk, but on test day, I want to limit my RC misses to -3 at a maximum, so I guess I'll just keep doing lots of RC practice, maybe fiddling slightly with my style and seeing how I go from there

Woozy
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby Woozy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:24 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
Woozy wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:yea, i don't think just reading the passage straight is the best strategy (at least not for me), since then i'll have to go back and re-read even more than usual, could eats more time than if i just underlined sparingly in the process

i'm pretty sure that some--if not most--of my difficulties with RC has to do with comfortability, so i guess that my best strategy for the moment is to only slightly tinker with what i do on each passage, but to just do as many of the old RC sections as possible and just get more of a feel

LR is much easier to get comfortable with, since there's 2 LR sections in each PT. However, there's only 1 RC section in each PT obviously, so there's nowhere near 700 RC sections, lol..

however, i think i started with the (technically) 3rd book of 10 (PTs 29-38) with my RC practice, so I should try to find my other book of 10 (19-28) and maybe even buy the first book of 10 until I get completely comfortable with RC..


Sounds like a decent strategy. However, be aware that many people say the RC has gotten harder recently. Also, in the last couple of years a comparative reading passage has been added to each section. Make sure you get all of the recent sections - although you may want to save many/most recent forms for use as PTs.


that's an interesting take -- a lot of people that i've spoken with actually believe that the addition of a comparative reading passage has made RC easier. The only experience I have with comparable passages is in the RC bible, but regardless of the topic, the comparative passages seemed more interesting, and the questions easier as a result of that.. (if that's not a thread, i'd like to make one to see if ppl think the past or current RC sections are harder)

Regardless, I think that, yes, more familiarity with the section will make me more comfortable with their style, passages, question types, etc. While my current RC scores can range from -3 to a spike of -8/-9 (I've been missing more RC questions lately maybe just b/c I'm getting frustrated), I'd say that my average is probably around -5, maybe between -5 and -6...idk, but on test day, I want to limit my RC misses to -3 at a maximum, so I guess I'll just keep doing lots of RC practice, maybe fiddling slightly with my style and seeing how I go from there


I'm not saying I agree that it's gotten harder - I really haven't done enough to compare. I've just seen plenty of people say it has. However, for all sections it behooves you to get plenty of experience with all the most recent tests.

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby skip james » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:27 pm

studylaw7 wrote: No need to make margin notes..I think that is a big waste of time. Make these two changes and see how you do.


i like margin notes. but usually i restrict it to a single abbreviated word.

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby skip james » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:31 pm

klussy wrote: "all can be inferred from the passage EXCEPT:"


personally, i've found that sometimes in this situation, the best thing to do is to look back at the first line. often, three answers are easily eliminated while the fourth can be eliminated from the first sentence. lsac can be a bunch of tricky bastards.
geostuck wrote:I think I said it earlier, treat them like logic games, repeat, repeat, repeat. They too have a similar pattern. Once you begin to see that the same types of questions are asked predictably and repeatedly, it becomes easier to determine where in the passage it might be found.

Forgoing notations is definitely NOT for everyone, but I suggest trying several different methods. However, once you find one that works, never deviate from it and practice it until your eyes bleed. You'll get the score you need for the schools in your name.

Repetition and speed (and sleepless nights) is what did it for me. Also, trying doing them when you feel like crap or have not had enough sleep, hangover, or whatever, I mistakenly focused on testing with optimal conditions, which gave the thrilling opportunity to repeat. More likely than not, you're not going to get perfect conditions. The 177->180 thread has some great tips about picking up extra seconds. I cannot believe I had not heard about using dull pencils.


this is the right attitude, in my opinion.

studylaw7
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Ughhh, help with RC strategies...PLEASE (any and all)

Postby studylaw7 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:02 am

geostuck wrote:
studylaw7 wrote:I'm not taking it personally, my replies are blunt but I'm perfectly calm. But I do think that my method is correct and that attempts to refute the underlining method are not sound. In a 55-60 lined passage, you think forgetting where you saw a name, date or title, means you didn't comprehend the passage properly? I don't think that's legitimate...


Since you quoted me, I must ask where did I indicate that I was attempting to "refute" your fantastic underlining method? Seriously, I’m not interested in refuting your profoundly secret method for RC. I'm only trying to offer advice to the OP.

Claiming…
for the lsat, not doing so [underlining]is just foolish

I'd be willing to bet, the guys offering the advice have a better handle on how score high than you could hope to get on an untimed PT. But like I've said continually, there is no right and wrong way. But to say that NOT underlining is foolish is not only counter to your point but childishly hypocritical. It worked for me, it work for the other guy, and it may work for the OP. Why the fuck are you so stuck on it?
Underlining key terms could help prevent you from re-reading.

Could help?!?! What are you going to read? The line? My reasoning is that if you know exactly where to look for the line, then you do not need to underline it. Do you use a special pencil with a homing device that magically directs you to the relevant text?? How is this difficult for you to grasp?

Most importantly, which you've utterly failed to grasp, is that the OP asked for advice on how to improve HIS reading comp. If you don't like the advice, don't use it. But why clutter up the thread with your childish insecurities? In fact, since you're such a proponent of underlining words that you cannot recall in a 60 line passage, start a fucking thread about the wonders of underlining. You won’t find me hijacking it over nonsense.

And, yes, I do believe that if you cannot recall where a MAJOR piece of the passage is located within 60 lines, or better yet, a 400 word passage, then you've got a long and hard future, if you get into law school. Like I have said what seems like 40 times already, I'm not an expert at reading comp, but I can remember where to find pertinent information. If you cannot, then you, in my opinion, do not comprehend the overall message of the passage. Jeez, it’s reading not neurosurgery.

Look, just because you're preparing to take the LSAT, do not start trying to playing lawyer quite yet…



Wow, look at this wonderful post. You're taking it far more personally than I am, bud. I suggest you take it easy.

If you must know, I am scheduled to attend a T14 in the fall. And I also have a high LSAT score.

My point is that if people are struggling with reading comprehension at all, underlining is a very good idea. And if you're not a RC guru, which you yourself have said, then underlining could help very much. And if you are one of those people that does not know what to underline, I doubt you are a very good reader.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Baidu [Spider], Dondraper88, Google [Bot], Instrumental, MSNbot Media and 7 guests