Pt 36, logic game 3, aisle on bus. Help :*-(

s1m4

Pt 36, logic game 3, aisle on bus. Help :*-(

Postby s1m4 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:18 pm

Can anyone offer any advice for solving this game? It seems even without time constraints I cannot tackle it - too many possibilities not enough restrictions. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks in advance!

7ED

Re: Pt 36, logic game 3, aisle on bus. Help :*-(

Postby 7ED » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:29 pm

I just did this PT yesterday. Could you be more specific as to what you need help with?

I find a logic game that lets me diagram out what it physically looks like (ecspecially the mapping games) are a bit easier on me than other ones, but I think one of the big things bout this game is 1, realizing that 2 of the rules actually result in only one possible seating arrangement (if moor occupies aisle seat, and if gutierrez sits in the same row as kelly), and 2, since theres only 3 rows and GH is a set sequence in the aisle, it significantly limits a lot of the variations in the questions.

But until you give me something more specific ur having trouble with, im not sure if I can help u much beyond that.

UTexas

Postby UTexas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:42 am

I wish I had my LSAT materials with me so I could give you a better answer, but I'm out of town.

This game can be a real pain if it isn't approached correctly, but it doesn't have to be hard. Take the most restricted variable (my memory says that's "K"), put her in all possible places without violating other rules, and draw out all of the possible combinations. If memory serves, K can go in any window row and only row 1 in the aisle (could be wrong about that). I don't think there were more than two possible overall arrangements for any given placement of K.

The key is focusing on the placement of the variable most restricted by the rules of the game. And that applies to more than just this game.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:24 am

I'm also curious how folks approached it. Fortunately, the other games in this section were all pretty quick and easy, so that left time to do a lot of hypotheticals/plugging in variables on this one; that said, there must be a more efficient way than what I did.

UTexas

Postby UTexas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:18 pm

UTexas wrote:I wish I had my LSAT materials with me so I could give you a better answer, but I'm out of town.

This game can be a real pain if it isn't approached correctly, but it doesn't have to be hard. Take the most restricted variable (my memory says that's "K"), put her in all possible places without violating other rules, and draw out all of the possible combinations. If memory serves, K can go in any window row and only row 1 in the aisle (could be wrong about that). I don't think there were more than two possible overall arrangements for any given placement of K.

The key is focusing on the placement of the variable most restricted by the rules of the game. And that applies to more than just this game.

I forgot to mention that you should start out by placing the GH block (two possibilities). Those are obviously the most restricted variables. Then look at the placement options of the next most restricted variable (K). It will be pretty simple to map out the possibilities then. Keep in mind that this game is intended to be more difficult than the others in the section, so it's alright if it takes you a little longer.

chewdak

Postby chewdak » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:39 pm

I first tried to diagram each rule and then refer to these diagrams to answer individual questions, this took a long time and I made an error when I did not completely reduce the possibilities for one of the diagrams.
Taking a different approach, did a very minimal diagram, wrote out the rules, and just plugged-and-chugged. Finished at about 10min, as fast or faster than it took me to do just the setup at first.
Q14. apply rules to eliminate wrong answers
15. do a hypo for a), apply rules to verify
16.rules allow to fix 4 out 6 variables
17. same as 16.
18.this one took longer, easy once you apply deductions from answering in order: a - easy no, b - no and allows to deduce that K is in row 1, then when you consider the two possibilities for K, the choice between answers c, d, and e is clear.

s1m4

Postby s1m4 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 pm

For #15, I do not see how C is wrong?

This is what I get:

KG
IH
ML

Thats the table for C for #15, and I see nothing wrong with it.. Granted A looks correct as well.

For #16 - How would I begin approaching this question? My first step was to make a hypothetical like this:
_M
_G
_H

but then it turned out to not work, and from there I had to make a few more to get at the wrong answer of "B". Can someone explain how they attack this question?

For #18.. Once again, I am stuck making a few hypotheticals, to have most of them fail and confuse me until I select the wrong answer. Initially, I write

_ _
_ g
_ h

now what?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”