feb. retake?

klussy

feb. retake?

Postby klussy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 pm

I think I'm about to register for a retake. Yet, I still plan on applying for this cycle. I'm just not satisfied with the 165 and want to get another shot at it. In some twisted way, I've come to enjoy taking the LSAT and waiting on my scores.

My question is, will I have to notify schools where I'm in review that I do NOT want them to wait on that result (where applicable; some schools don't take feb. scores regardless.)

fonzerelli

Re: feb. retake?

Postby fonzerelli » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:21 pm

klussy wrote:I think I'm about to register for a retake. Yet, I still plan on applying for this cycle. I'm just not satisfied with the 165 and want to get another shot at it. In some twisted way, I've come to enjoy taking the LSAT and waiting on my scores.

My question is, will I have to notify schools where I'm in review that I do NOT want them to wait on that result (where applicable; some schools don't take feb. scores regardless.)

I was in a similar situation and just cancelled my Feb LSAT registration. Several schools will put the reviewing of your application off if you're registered for Feb, even if you didn't indicate it in your app.

My reasoning is as follows.... I intended to take the Feb LSAT as somewhat of a waitlist-device - something to show to adcoms if I were waitlisted at any of my reaches assuming I added a few points. I don't think it's worth it. My understanding is (this won't be admitted - but it was suggested by a particular assistant dean of admissions) that admissions criteria get exponentially harder the later on in the cycle you wait.

This makes sense for obvious reasons... from the school's perspective, their having already built the bulk of their class, etc. I don't think the risky slight advantage for taking in Feb outweight the disadvantages of having some of your applications set aside until a later date. HTH

klussy

Postby klussy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:31 pm

so there's no way for them to not consider the feb. results upon my request? I just wanted to see what score I could get while my december LSAT studying is still fresh. I have no interest in using the score for this cycle. can I do that?

fonzerelli

Postby fonzerelli » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:39 pm

klussy wrote:so there's no way for them to not consider the feb. results upon my request? I just wanted to see what score I could get while my december LSAT studying is still fresh. I have no interest in using the score for this cycle. can I do that?

Honestly, I think it varies from school to school, admissions office to admissions office/protocols/policies/norms/etc.

I would find out first - definitely worth a call. Otherwise, your app may be set aside for a later review date. If you're like me, I want my decisions quickly.

klussy

Postby klussy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Just talked to a few schools, and they say if I hadn't indicated a future LSAT on my application then it will not be included in the review, unless I specifically tell them that's what I want.

I'm gonna reigster... :P

evergirl23

Postby evergirl23 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
klussy wrote:so there's no way for them to not consider the feb. results upon my request? I just wanted to see what score I could get while my december LSAT studying is still fresh. I have no interest in using the score for this cycle. can I do that?

Honestly, I think it varies from school to school, admissions office to admissions office/protocols/policies/norms/etc.

I would find out first - definitely worth a call. Otherwise, your app may be set aside for a later review date. If you're like me, I want my decisions quickly.

I am re-taking in February and applying for this cycle. I called every single school I applied to and asked them their policy on the Feb. LSAT - whether they took it, whether they had to hold for my file for the Feb score and if I didn't have them hold, could I ask them to reconsider a decision not in my favor in light of the Feb score. Some have to hold it, some will let you choose, others will not hold it. It's worth finding out if it will even be considered if you are waitlisted. Some schools don't take it into account.

When I signed up for my retake, I emailed all of the schools, told them I was retaking but asked them not to hold my file. Because of when I sent my applications, odds are good that a lot of the schools won't even look at my file until after the Feb score is received.

Am I a little concerned about what it looks like to my safeties to request not to be held? Sure. But when I weighed the pros and cons, retaking came out on top.

edited for punctuation

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”